Kenny Bell playing in BCSCG is a game time decision

CrimsonJag

All-American
Apr 9, 2001
Jacksonville, FL
Kenny Bell being healthy and playing would be HUGE! Gives us another legit deep threat and takes A LOT of pressure off of Cooper.

Just think if DeAndrew White was available. ;)

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
short version from what HSV'S described it was on non-weight bearing bone. No ligament damage so return from injury can be quicker.
Back in the 90 season, the Colorado QB played with a broken fibula. That was back when they were good, and were running an option offense. As Earle has said, the bone isn't the problem, it's the surrounding tissue.

I'll be happily surprised if Kenny can play, but part of me want to see him and Coop, with Black in the slot. And then run a shovel pass to Lacy for a long TD. ;)

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Difference from Bell and Black - Bell doesn't have a redshirt to lose by playing.
If we'd needed him, both Black and his parents were willing to burn the RS for the SECCG. I'm sure the same is true for the BCSCG. However, the problem is that, even though he's healthy, he just hasn't had that much practice time and no game time. Norwood was asked about him a couple of weeks or so ago and I don't remember his exact words, but it was to the effect that he just didn't see how Black could help them that much at this point in the season. Of course, Norwood is a starter and a competitor and, although Black and Norwood have different skill sets and size, it's clear that Black emerging, even without Bell's return could cost Kevin PT. It would be hard for him to keep that out of his thought process, even if unconscious...

CrimsonJag

All-American
Apr 9, 2001
Jacksonville, FL
The problem (if you want to call it that) with Chris Black playing in the final game is, the timing and speed during practice is a WHOLE lot different than the timing and speed during a live game. That comes with game time experience. Not saying Black isn't a premiere athlete, he clearly is. But, everyone out there Monday night is a premiere athlete.

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
I was sure we would see Black in the SECCG but it never happened.

I think ND is going to get a lot of Lacy & Yeldon straight up the middle, then Cooper way down field.

I would love to see Bell & Black but I don't think we will need them.

Yeah definitely. Spreads the defense even more and will help EL and Yeldon.

If we play our game then no one beats us. RTR.
I think he'll play maybe not start but play. And yes that definitely spreads them out even further. We have some players flying under the radar right now that have come through in the past. To me it's unbelievable that these players are being pretty much ignored. But with Bell in there it will be tough to stop us. He's a more of a home run hitter than Coop IMO, because of that speed.

jcabama

1st Team
Jul 19, 2004
Bonaire GA
Decoy maybe but can see us risking his health nor do I see him being very effective with limited practice and probably a tad slowed at top end speed. I have faith in Coop and Norwood getting the job done for us as long as they don't get hur.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Does a different player really spread the defense out any more that another player would; the defense can't ignore any receiver? The defense still has to cover whoever is on the field. I can see how one player may be able to get open better than another and how one may draw more double coverage and that can make a difference.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
Does a different player really spread the defense out any more that another player would; the defense can't ignore any receiver? The defense still has to cover whoever is on the field. I can see how one player may be able to get open better than another and how one may draw more double coverage and that can make a difference.
I think the point is that you would double Coop with a safety over the top if he were in there alone as a deep threat. With Bell in as well you can't double both. If you do then you have left the likes of Norwood in single coverage with a linebacker or the #3 safety/corner. This poses lots of problems for ND and how they cover it. Even if the ball is never thrown to Bell deep ND has to account for him and this means someone wasting energy sprinting downfield to cover him. That can get tiring on a thin secondary.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Yes - some players REQUIRE deep safety support in coverage, such is their speed. That is one less person in run protection. If you have 2 of these receivers, you force them to keep both safeties back or risk some sketchy coverage support.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
if he does play, i say we go deep to him right away and test the ND secondary. even if it's incomplete, it gives them something to think about. you can't double coop and bell at the same time.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.