Question: OL/DL comparison

RollinTider1335

All-SEC
Jun 12, 2010
Spring Hill, TN
Anyone seen an OL/DL weight comp between Bama and ND?

Also, want to say thanks mods for really regulating the ND trash talkers in here. Some are good and actually bring perspective to the table and others just want to stir the pot and trash talk.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The most important battle will be between Jones and Nix. Jones is giving up about 30 pounds, so his technique will have to be perfect.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I think Barrett will handle him though.
I agree - I posted last week that I expect a monster day from Jones. He knows what this is all about. He has more reasons than most to want to dominate his opponent tomorrow.

Rolltide_PA

1st Team
Jul 31, 2011
read something about 3 weeks ago that the ND front 7 is the heaviest in nation (i think uga was 2nd)

TDBama78

All-American
Jul 11, 2007
I hope our d-line feels like they have to prove they are the best after all the love the nd dline has been getting :they should have a chip on their shoulder. Our o line..its like c saban has said before..they're a hateful bunch. Nd dline better pack a lunch cause its going to be a long day.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Anyone seen an OL/DL weight comp between Bama and ND?

Also, want to say thanks mods for really regulating the ND trash talkers in here. Some are good and actually bring perspective to the table and others just want to stir the pot and trash talk.
I don't really think they've been bad at all. Most who've come to this site actually know something about football. When I go look at some of their boards, it's honest-to-God face-palm time. Here is a real quote from a ND board:

ND needs to take advantage of the lack of athleticism

of both Bama lines.

TAM made these guys look ponderous, as they really are. Make them play in space, taking advantage of the lack of quickness. These are not guys (except Cyrus K) who are beefy with length; they are like 6'3" 320 pound anvils. Make them go in more than one direction on a play and they are not ninja's!

If ND can use it's quickness edge to get to the ball 1st on bot offense and defense then ND has success; if Bama can prevent this with sheer power then the Irish will be in trouble.

The pundits say ND is in the mold of the SEC, but ND is 'longer' and a bit faster with it's size. Plus ND needs to make this game a 'thinking' mans game. Confuse and counter; these guys don't go to class for a reason!

You get the picture of this guy hiding out in his mom's basement, typing with two fingers on a ten-year old computer. "Confuse and counter" because our guys are stupid? I started to point out that our grad rate is right up there with ND. Last year, we were ahead of them and second only to Stanford. As with most posters like this, this guy probably never got within sniffing distance of any campus. "Quickness edge?!?!" Using the TAM formula - sure, just give them Manziel and two first round OTs. I'm thankful for the one's we've had visit. They seem to be the cream of the crop...

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
BTW - to any ND fans reading, regard this part of the discussion as "among Bama fans only." Criticize Bama fans back on your own boards. (And I notice that you do that freely...)

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Who's a better NT Nix III or Jenkins?
Seems to me they're very similar. The problem is that there're not really stats on NG performance. The things they do to alter the course of the game don't really show up in stats. They're both very outstanding NGs. I'm sure you could get heated arguments from the talking heads as to which is "better."

Most of the Alabama folks have been saying Nix, but that could be posturing during the lead-up to this game. Jenkins is considered to be better by NFL draft experts.
Seems to me they're very similar. The problem is that there're not really stats on NG performance. The things they do to alter the course of the game don't really show up in stats. They're both very outstanding NGs. I'm sure you could get heated arguments from the talking heads as to which is "better."
One practically one leg Jones pretty much handled Jenkins on one foot. I can imagine how he would have handled him the whole game while healthy. And Jenkins weighs more than Nix III.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Jenkins whipped Jones quite a bit on strength but he and the rest of the GA line is very undisciplined so BJ was able to beat them with superior technique. This write up was very insightful.

http://www.rollbamaroll.com/2013/1/...ames-defense-versus-alabamas-ground-and-pound

Jenkins may have more raw talent but Nix is better coached.
Thanks

I am reluctant to put this game all on one player, but no single player for Alabama has a greater opportunity to help the Tide win this game than Jones. If he can handle Nix without too much help, the game is over. Alabama will run wild.

centerstar

2nd Team
Nov 4, 2011
Go look at the pictures in the linked article. Maybe the foot is to blame and maybe it's better. I agree if he can handle Nix it's a sad day for the domers.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
Without regard to the SEC Championship game, I believe this point is key. If Nix doesn't command a double team (and we don't constantly have to use a TE to handle both ends) this one will be over before the 4th quarter. Jones does not have to dominate Nix, he just has to keep him out of the running lanes -- push him straight back five yards would be great, but so is making just enough room for TJY or EL to slip by or cut back against. If that happens, eventually ND has to bite the bullet and put 8 in the box because CW and AS will be pounding on their LBs. I believe their LBs are very talented, but no, they will not overcome blocks from our O linemen. If Nix can command a double team or pressure the QB on passing downs one on one, then it will be a long night for Alabama. Also, if BJ reinjures his (whatever it was below the knee) we have serious issues. I will be watching this battle, but the problem is that BJ is so smart, occasionally we succeed on plays where he basically loses the battle, but does so in a way that leaves the play viable.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.