Poll: Do you want to kick or receive first half?

Kick or Receive first?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RollTideMang

All-American
Oct 16, 2009
St. Louis, MO
Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are here. Usually I would say that I want to receive first, but I really hope we kick first this game. I feel like if we can get a quick 3 and out from the ND offense, it will fire our offense up to get a touchdown.

What do you all think? Kick or receive first?

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
A long time draining power drive -- to start off the game

let's start tiring that Defense out right away, even if it just nets a FG

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Kick, pin them deep, force a 3-out and start in great field position. IMO, both teams will elect to kick off as both have a defensive mentality. (that is, they will both defer)

p'colabamaman

All-SEC
Sep 16, 2008
Pace, FL.
I would like to receive first, drive it down to score, and get a big jump on them like A&M did to us. I don't think they can play catch-up real well.

Minedweller

Dec 16, 2012
Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are here. Usually I would say that I want to receive first, but I really hope we kick first this game. I feel like if we can get a quick 3 and out from the ND offense, it will fire our offense up to get a touchdown.

What do you all think? Kick or receive first?
Kick off first half. Put immediate pressure on their RS freshman QB to start the game. A no brainer.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I'm not so sure. We have elected to receive most of this season IIRC.
Didn't know that. Did you win the toss against LSU? IMO, they are the only other team that Alabama has played (up to this point) that would have warranted the "defer & kick" approach because of their defense.

RollTideMang

All-American
Oct 16, 2009
St. Louis, MO
Didn't know that. Did you win the toss against LSU? IMO, they are the only other team that Alabama has played (up to this point) that would have warranted the "defer & kick" approach because of their defense.
I want to say we won and received, but I admit that I have a hard time remembering smaller details like that, so I could be wrong.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I want to say we won and received, but I admit that I have a hard time remembering smaller details like that, so I could be wrong.
LSU started the game with the ball, but I do not remember if they won or lost the toss.

CrimsonJag

All-American
Apr 9, 2001
Jacksonville, FL
LSU started the game with the ball, but I do not remember if they won or lost the toss.
Bama won the toss and deferred. LSU, as they did literally almost all night, went three and out when Jefferson bobbled the snap on 3rd and 2.

Bama wanted to establish the defense as the dominant force on the field. This season, Bama would probably receive, to establish the offense as the dominant force on the field.

BamaDude06

1st Team
Sep 15, 2006
A lot of people like to act surprised when we elect to receive (Gary Danielson). I actually looked it up after last season and under Saban we elect to receive the opening kick ~80% of the time, IIRC.

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA
As much as I want to get the ball and score right away, I hate going in to halftime knowing that the other team will get the ball to start the second half. So for Bama to get the ball to start the second half, Bama has to kick off in the first half and make a statement with defense to start the game. I'll go with that.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Bama won the toss and deferred. LSU, as they did literally almost all night, went three and out when Jefferson bobbled the snap on 3rd and 2.

Bama wanted to establish the defense as the dominant force on the field. This season, Bama would probably receive, to establish the offense as the dominant force on the field.
Sorry, I meant in the LSU game this year, but that provides the insight that I was looking for. Similar game - the team winning the coin toss probably defers and lets their defense set the tone.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
I voted for kicking off to begin the game, but ultimately, I don't think it'll matter. If Bama wins the coin toss, I think Saban will elect to receive.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.