Poll: Do you want to kick or receive first half?

Kick or Receive first?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I like to kick off or defer. Kicking off means if you're down when you make adjustments you get it first to start the second half. But that's just me.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
A lot of people like to act surprised when we elect to receive (Gary Danielson). I actually looked it up after last season and under Saban we elect to receive the opening kick ~80% of the time, IIRC.
That's correct. Saban, in interviews, has said that, most of the time, he prefers the ball to start the game. However, ND might fall into the same category as LSU. We know their "D" is good, so we might prefer to see what their offense can do...

FThomas

1st Team
Oct 18, 2011
I say take the ball right away. We have done well in the opening quarter in nearly all games, while we seem to struggle regaining a rhythm on offense at the beginning of the 2nd half. Additionally, I think our halftime adjustments habe been more effective on defense than offense. Our offense just seems to wear people down and really become effective in the 4th quarter regardless of adjustments.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Sorry, I meant in the LSU game this year, but that provides the insight that I was looking for. Similar game - the team winning the coin toss probably defers and lets their defense set the tone.
Verne said we won the toss and deferred, which probably means LSU won the toss and elected to receive. :)

This was after calling it Death Stadium.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
I honestly couldn't care less as IMO, the coin toss is basically meaningless as to the outcome of the game. Unless there is a weather reason, it doesn't matter.

jenk56

1st Team
Sep 5, 2012
Kick off first half. Put immediate pressure on their RS freshman QB to start the game. A no brainer.
Their QB will be up all night tonight....and by the time the game rolls around he might wish he were wearing depends...Kick the ball and let it all hang out D. The media has talked so much about their defense show them who really had the number 1 DEFENSE in the nation.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Bama tends to receive when winning the toss. I'd expect the same tomorrow night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, so my post may not be what I typed thanks to auto correct. Also, I may need an emoticon but cannot use one in this post.

cuddlemonkey

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 5, 2011
Mobile, AL
Kick off first half. Put immediate pressure on their RS freshman QB to start the game. A no brainer.
In the best case scenario, we receive and put together a good scoring drive while Golson watches. I want him to realize the entire game is on his shoulders the moment he takes his first snap.

ltfbama

Nov 2, 2011
I would rather receive drive down the field punch em in the mouth and show them they're not all everybody puts them out to be.

RTR_UA#1

All-SEC
Jun 16, 2008
Meridian, MS
I would like to see the "D" on the field first. We can bend a little then force a punt.
THEN let OUR "O" on the field and watch the fireworks start. PLUS we get the ball first in the second half. THEN we show ND who the real national champions SHOULD be!!!
#15 for the TIDE!!!!!!
(or is it #10 per ESPNazi??)

ROLL TIDE!!!!!

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama
Take the ball and set the tone early. Plus, it gives us a chance to gain field position in the 2nd half when field position becomes more of an issue.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
If we kicked off out of the end zone a lot I'd say defer. But I don't want to see us do a short kick-off and them run it back to the 35-40 to open the game. They would immediately be in charge of the field position battle. For that reason...I say take the ball.
sip

RollTideMustang

3rd Team
Aug 27, 2011
Killen, Alabama
www.myyearbook.com
Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are here. Usually I would say that I want to receive first, but I really hope we kick first this game. I feel like if we can get a quick 3 and out from the ND offense, it will fire our offense up to get a touchdown.

What do you all think? Kick or receive first?
Hard to say Hmmmmmmm........If we get ball first & Notre Dame stop us on our first set of downs will set momentum for Notre Dame for sure...All month the Media talk about Notre Dame this & that as I see they want them to win. I call this mind set which I am sure Notre Dame will come in strongly with nothing to lose & undefeated so it's all on there side. I say we kick to the them first.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.