Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BamaNation First Team
    My Mood
    Suspicious on TideFans.com

Re: How Awesome is the ND o-line?

In terms of talent comparing ND OL to the Bama OL is a rather obvious mismatch. However they are talented with what I'd grade as a very good LT, LG, & C combo with a servicable-to-solid RG & RT combo. The strength is on the left side of the line.

However evaluating them as a unit and their fundamentals I've been impressed, surprisingly impressed. I generally don't watch much ND fb, but caught pieces of several games this year and have gone back to espn3 and watched them vs USC, BC, & Oklahoma. They hold their own, aren't great, but do the job with fundamentls in the passing game. However in the run game they impress. They zone and man block. The impressive thing is how low-hard and quick they FIRE off the snap. They are tenacious, lacking the talent of maulers like Fluker, Warmack, & Steen, but are every bit their equals when it comes to firing off the ball and staying low. Translation, they're fundamentally sound and know how to play the game. They're not small either, all are listed at 300+, but just over and most are 6'4" or better.

To boot the ND run game seems to be a 'seam' run game where the RBs run less to a hole, but look for a seam/crease. On that note Riddick is legit and aside from Gurly and possibly the LSU freshman will probably be the best RB Bama sees this year.
    Friends don't let friends drink Bud Miller or Coors!
    Good people drink good bier!

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I kinda equate this unit to our 2009 team's OL. They're the strength nobody expected. I will say that this OL probably fights a bit harder than Alabama's OL has for the balance of season. Less talented but experienced, sound, and fierce. Strength and talent go a long way but you can't put a price on mean streak.

BamaNation First Team
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

actually i think they are not a strength. watched some video and they rely on the qb to bail them out at times. they collapse often. one of the main reasons i think kelly stuck with EG the whole year because they need his legs to bail out the line

BamaNation First Team Rolltide_PA's Avatar
    My Mood
    Fine on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by rhm54 View Post
    Here is a comparison of our starting lineups

http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon...-tape/1810009/
    incredible how similar in size we are in every sector of the field

BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by bamacon View Post
    I realize that Bama will be lucky to get a first down. With the stars aligning just so we might get to the 50. I'm just wondering if the ND o-line is as all world as their d-line. I just haven't heard any talk of it other than Bama will have trouble containg Johnny Football II and that our secondary is a weak link.
    Anyone know?
    That seems to be the story line the 'Talking Heads' are going with.
    I liked 'Fairy Tales' when I was a child...

RTR

Alabama 34
    ND 14

BamaNation All-American

Not awesome enough!

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by BigBama76 View Post
    I watched some analysts showing breakdowns of how Golson can beat you with his feet and on each play they showed vs USC their OL were beaten but the DL's did not maintain their lanes. Bama plays with a lot of discipline on defense so I'm hoping we stifle them pretty well.

Most of the analyst seem to think Bama tries to keep Golson in the pocket because he's not tall enough to see well from back there and use a spy, CJ Moseley, if he's able to break out.
    Saw that last night... reminded me of how we shut down Denard Robinson in our first game this year. Probably won't have a lot of sacks this game, but "keep him in the pockets" counts should be very high. At the end of the day, you've got to ask the question "Is EG better than/as good as JM?" JM is the only QB we faced this year that could escape that game plan with any type of regularity. My answer? You've got to be kidding... at best EG is equivalent with Denard Robinson... and you see how that one worked out.

They are the single-greatest OL of all time, better than any NFL team in history.

And Golson is like 2x Manziel.

The defense is the fiercest to ever be imagined, if we end up with positive yardage on offense it will be a miracle.
    DISCLAIMER: I hereby reserve the right to discuss any game on the Alabama schedule I wish, at any time during the season, as I am not a part of the Crimson Tide football program. I am simply a fan who has no impact outside of the money I provide the athletic department via ticket and memorabilia purchases and the energy I can provide when I attend the games. 2009-2014, crimsonaudio

Lurch Backwater!

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by ohiotide14 View Post
    actually i think they are not a strength. watched some video and they rely on the qb to bail them out at times. they collapse often. one of the main reasons i think kelly stuck with EG the whole year because they need his legs to bail out the line
    I agree that Golson got the nod because he can scramble. Tommy Rees is a statue. If Rees comes in the game, the Irish are in a LOT of trouble.

BamaNation First Team crmsntd91's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

People keep comparing Golson to Manziel or Denard Robinson, he is neither. He can't throw or run as good as Manziel and hes not nearly as explosive as Denard. The guy is a clone of Tyrod Taylor from VTech. We spanked Tyrod Taylor, made him look brainless.
    "We have an opponent in this state that we work every day, 365 days a year, to dominate."