everyone in the family wears the same outfit for every game each season...even down to the three year old.
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride--and never quit--you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high, but so are the rewards." Coach Paul Bryant
Red Vines licorice
Everygame this year and last. We were disrupted a bit by being out of town during the Tam game
i got a bunch of 'em ...
1) pregame drink that i have to keep drinking through at least 1st quarter...the Rammer Jammer. 1/3 rasp vodka, 1/3 orange vodka, 1/3 cranberry juice
2) big al hand puppet on left hand
3) "Touchdown Big Al" on living room table (used only for TD's)
4) "Field Goal Big Al" on the bar behind my chair (used for FG and Safeties or game changing turnovers)
5) Big Al elephant head
6) normal game day jersey is now a #50 Hightower (retired #37 SU Alexander jersey last year) but this year will be just 3rd time i wear my #7 Barker USF&G Sugar Bowl jersey
7) wife must have Rammer Jammers from pregame through 1st quarter as well
8) victory glass of chilled Sambuca
I'm thinking back to our game against ND in 1986 at Legion Field. I wore a Bama sweatshirt and a pair of stonewashed jeans. I also wore a button on my shirt with the four leaf clover crossed out. (Like the no smoking sign). I new that I had kept that button, it was just a matter of finding it and this past weekend, I did! I purchased a Bama sweatshirt that is pretty close to the one I wore that day, and I took an old pair of jeans that I don't wear anymore and used some household products to give them that stonewashed look. That is what I will be wearing tonight. Also, about three minutes before kickoff, I will pop a bag of Pop Secret microwave popcorn just as I did that day in the fall of 1986. I am completely recreating that day to a tee.
I used to have a lot of these. Slowly, over the last five years, with Coach Saban's help and the success of our team, they have been "PROCESSED" out of me.
These days, I just enjoy the game and the experience, and relish the success that—while it will not, realistically, last—shows no signs of stopping.
Still, no judgements... I realize for some people these rituals/quirks/superstitions are PART OF the enjoyment of the experience. In that case, mix another Rammer Jammer for me!
"So, if you wanna drink the Kool-Aid..." — Nick Saban, September 27, 2008
JamieSPC— drunk on Kool-Aid, 2008-2013
If things are going really bad I stop watching the game and go outside trying to think positive thoughts. That worked against LSU and UGA as well as other games in the past.
There is one thing that I consider to be fact after over 55 years of watching football games. If an announcer talks about how so and so hasn't fumbled or thrown an interception, it's about to happen. I think they do it on purpose.
I wear my lucky Bama shirt
Never shave on the day of the game
Grill chicken legs
Call my Mom just before kick-off
Call my Bama room mate and my Bama friend whom I've known since kindergarten
Take a shot of Two Fingers Tequila