Kelly to Stay at Oregon

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I'm little surprised, because with NCAA coming sniffing, you would think he would bolt just in time. The opportunity to interview with several teams, he should've taken it. My feeling is that He used NFL to see what's he's worth out there.
Clicky

I guess he had his, uh, ego stroked enough for the time being.

TDBama78

All-American
Jul 11, 2007
That says they probably skate by with the nzaa near term. Or he goes down with the ship

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I'm actually glad he's staying at Oregon..A strong Oregon team will keep USC in check & make Lane's life as USC's HC much much tougher..It's obvious UCLA won't compete at the level of USC on a consistent basis..JMO

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
So 3 weeks ago when Adam Scheffter said there was a 100% chance of Kelly to the NFL - he was wrong?

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Personally, I dont think his philosophy would work in the NFL. His defenses would get killed.

MVKTR2

1st Team
May 29, 2008
Wise move!

Now he needs to put more emphasis on size inside on DL and a bit in the LB corp along with adding some power to their rushing attack to counteract the Stanfords etc. whom match up well because of just such leanings.

OreBama

All-American
Sep 26, 2005
Portland, OR
I won't believe he's staying until every NFL vacancy is filled. This report could very likely be a negotiating tactic. He wouldn't be the first for sure.

Besides, I can't imagine recruits signing on to play for a guy for one year. I hope he stays and I like him, but I just can't see him staying for U of O.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
The captain goes down with the ship, I suppose?

The truth is probably less honorable and rather pragmatic. He probably expects the NCAA to still be a year off from laying down any punishment and he hopes for a better position to open in the NFL. Like Saban said to suitors from the NFL recently: NFL really means "Not For Long." None of the jobs available are particularly ideal for his scheme. The Eagles are the most ideal by personnel but it requires staking your job on an aging Michael Vick. I think Kelly could win in the NFL but he wouldn't have long to get it right. The NFL has ruined many good coaches because they simply couldn't get the pieces together before the season ticket holders demanded their head. Most of the Super Bowl winning coaches over the last decade have been retreads. Pete Carroll was a failed NFL coach who took the USC job only the resurrect his career (and he wasn't even a top 5 choice for USC either). He's two wins from a Super Bowl and his team looks the part. Good coaches fail in the NFL and a lot of time it's more the management issue he inherits than inability to coach.

Kelly has even a shorter leash because every talking head will question whether his system can work if it doesn't immediately.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
His flirtations the last two years have soured a lot of folks in the NFL - he approached these interviews as though he were the one holding all of the cards and without the respect that ownership feels that NFL franchises are due. Not saying that this necessarily means that he will never work in the NFL, but he will find it much harder if he doesn't take a job this year.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I'm a little surprised by this. With the level of interest from the NFL the last 2 years and his openness about taking all these interviews, it sure seemed like he was NFL bound.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
ESPN reported last night that both the Browns and Eagles sensed some indecisiveness on his part during his interviews. When he answered questions about the NFL Thursday night, he sounded very attached to Oregon, its fans, and the city of Eugene. His response made me wonder about him actually making the move.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.