Question: Favorite "Keith Jackson" broadcast quote from a Bama game.

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.
I just listened to Keith Jackson on the Jack Arute show on Sirius. He had Keith on as guest. Keith is in his mid 80's and I know I had rater listen to him than Mooseburger .

I listened to many games, nascar races and various other sports broadcast by Keith Jackson. I am in my 50's so Wide World of Sports was our ESPN.

Do you have a favorite quote or phrase that you recall from Keith Jackson.

I was living in LA at the time of the 1992 Miami -Alabama NC game. The game was almost over and where he came up with this comment they showed how much he know about Alabama and how special football was to the state.

" Well they are beginning to dance in Opp and Cullman and Estaboga"!!!!!!!

He is a Georgia native , but just to pull that from the recesses of his mind and call off the names of those small towns in Alabama was classic to me and show why he was and still is the best.

Roll Tide.

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
Sure do miss him. He was the best. Hope he is enjoying retirement and our win tonight.

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
There will never be another KJ.

One of my favorite snippets I recall off the top of my head was when the barn was playing and Cadillac Williams was a freshman. He was stopped on the line and Keith said "and the Cadillac has done run out of gas."

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
You would think with all the media hype they would have come up with some segment for him given his connection to such 2 traditional programs. I think it would have been good TV.

TidefaninOS

All-SEC
Feb 14, 2009
Ocean Springs, MS
(In the same game in the Sugar Bowl), not sure at what point, but after Bama had scored to take a comfortable lead, KJ said something like "well, I guess there's no doubt as to who is the best team in the country this year". B. Griese said "not in my mind".

Vinny

Hall of Fame
Sep 27, 2001
Rockaway, NJ
I remember watching the 91 Bama vs Tennessee game, I couldn't make it to BHM and David Palmer had the ball and he said, Palmer is running all the way to Bessemer or something like that, don't remember the wording.

PaulD

All-SEC
Dec 29, 2006
near Perry, Georgia, United States
He talked about the '79 Sugar Bowl. After the famous goal line stand, we had to punt and our P shanked it, "setting Penn State up on the doorstep." He saw the official counting PSU players and counting to 12. On the second shot, the punt went 54 yards, "and Penn State never saw the goal line again." I attended that game as a student and I had forgotten that!

He mentioned that in the weeks leading up to the '93 Sugar Bowl, "Bebes" told him over and over "We're gonna whup 'em."

He was asked about Johnny Manziel and said he was "astounding" and "remarkable". When he first saw him, he said, "He can't be a freshman!"

He did say he was concerned about the growing costs of athletic departments, "even for the smaller guys."

His voice was clear and he was sounding well-connected with football. Like I said, I hope to sound that good next year, much less in about 30!

Last edited:

wishbonedays

1st Team
Mar 30, 2003
Hanceville, AL, USA
www.wfl1974.com
I recall during the '93 Sugar Bowl KJ saying something like "Running on this Alabama defense is about as much fun as climbing a cactus". I grew up listening to Keith Jackson and still think he's the best there ever was on TV. The 1979 Sugar Bowl vs Penn State was another memorable one...he called out Don McNeal's great stop at the goal line as "one whale of a play" or something like that...classic stuff.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.