What my Statistical Differential Analysis model predicts for the game tonight...

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
Normally when I do a thread/post on teams' Statistical Differentials I do a long, detailed post with lots of numbers. I'm not going to do that this time for three reasons: 1) I don't really have time (as evidenced by the fact that I'm just now posting this today rather than a few days ago), 2) I've added another set of splits statistic categories to the model that had to mostly be figured/compared manually, and 3) I just don't really feel like it. :)

Even though I won't go into all of the details, I will give you a peek into some of the insight that can be gleaned from the data.

NOTE: As with all statistical analysis, and especially predictions gleaned from that analysis, this must be taken with a particularly large grain of salt: statistical analysis cannot account for outliers - results varying from the norm due to unknown factors such as injuries, emotional factors/mood, "rust", etc. - in individual events. This prediction assumes that both teams perform at a relatively equal level to what they have performed thus far.

Ok, now - for the results...

While poring over some of the differentials a thought occurred to me in regard to a differential "split" comparison category that could provide - and does seem to provide - some very interesting insight into a team's relative performance. I call it the "Quality Unit" split. I use many the typical splits in my analysis of the units' performances in different categories: e.g., Total Offense vs. Conference Opponents, Scoring Defense vs. BCS Opponents, Red Zone Efficiency vs. BCS 'Winning Record' Opponents, etc. The idea behind those different splits is to garner more consistent, reliable data by using results versus what would be expected to be a more consistent level of competition. The "Quality Unit" split is a little more detailed and is mostly irrespective of conference affiliation and record. The reason for this is due to the fact that a relatively good team may have a particularly bad unit while a relatively bad team may have a particularly good unit in a certain category.

What the "Quality Unit" split does is compare a particular team's unit/category performance versus that unit/category's inverse against that team's opponents who are ranked in the Top 40 for that unit/category's 'Quality Unit' ranking. To be eligible for a 'Quality Unit' ranking, the unit must have faced off against at least 3 Top 40 'Quality Unit' ranked units themselves. This is to put in perspective the outliers who generally faced lessor competition such as, for example, Marshall's Scoring Offense. While Marshall's Scoring Offense currently ranks at 7th among FBS schools at 40.9 points per game, they only faced the minimum 3 'Quality Unit' Scoring Defenses. And against those units, Marshall averaged a mediocre 26.3 points per game; they were hardly a scoring juggernaut against good scoring defenses. Compare that to Alabama's scoring offense which is currently ranked at 13th in the FBS, averaging 38.5 points per game. Alabama's scoring offense, though, has faced 6 'Quality Unit' Scoring Defenses and averaged an excellent 31.8 points per game against those units. Notre Dame's scoring offense is currently ranked at 74th in FBS at 26.8 points per game. Notre Dame's scoring offense, though, has faced 7 'Quality Unit' Scoring Defenses and averaged a very poor 21.6 points per game against those units.

Here is a chart with a few, select teams and their corresponding Scoring Offense 'Quality Unit' Rankings:

Scoring Offense Quality Unit Rankings
Team:Scoring O Quality Unit Rank (of 87)Points vs. Quality UnitsTotal Scoring Offense Rank (of 124)Total Points Per Game
Oregon144.1249.6
Oklahoma State236.3345.7
Baylor332.0444.5
Alabama431.81338.5
Clemson729.3641.0
Texas A&M1028.8444.5
Florida State1428.31039.3
Marshall2526.3740.9
Georgia2925.01837.8
Kansas State3922.81138.8
Notre Dame5721.67426.8
Oklahoma6920.81538.2

As would be expected, some high-scoring offenses had inflated overall numbers due to facing easier competition and their Quality Unit ranking is therefore lower. Others were more consistent against better competition and their ranking is therefore higher.

There is a thread I posted previously showing similar traits in the Statistical Differential Analysis of Notre Dame's Rushing Defense, if you'd like to re-read it, here:
http://www.tidefans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185770

It is interesting to note that a few of the bowl results provided further evidence for Notre Dame's Rushing Defense being overrated. As was mentioned in the above referenced thread, much of Notre Dame's impressive Rushing Defense Ranking came as a result of sacks and sack yardage. In College Football, of course, as opposed to the NFL sacks and sack yardage count against the rushing totals rather than the passing totals. If you were to calculate the Rushing Defense Rankings without counting sacks then they would fall a bit differently.

Against Oklahoma, Notre Dame held the Sooners to an astounding 0.6 yards per rush. However, Landry Jones was sacked twice for a loss of 16 yards and had a snap fly over his head for a loss of 19 yards. Take away those three plays and the Sooners actually averaged around 2.4 yards per rush. Not good, by any means, but much more realistic than 0.6 yards per rush. Texas A&M held those Sooners to only 3.6 yards per rush on 34 carries, with a third of Oklahoma's rushing yardage coming on three plays. The biggest difference between those two games, though, is that Oklahoma actually showed up to play in both of those games and was simply run off of the field against Texas A&M while the Sooners were tied with Notre Dame most of the way through the 4th Quarter.

Against Pittsburgh, Notre Dame gave up an unimpressive 4.4 yards per rush. However, Pittsburgh gave up 5 sacks in that game for a total of 31 yards. That means that, on rushing plays, Notre Dame gave up 6.3 yards per rush to mighty Pitt. And, as you likely recall, Pitt missed a 33 yard field goal that would have given them the win over Notre Dame in the second overtime period. Incidentally, that missed field goal came on a 4th and 1 in which the Officials failed to notice that Notre Dame had two players on the field with identical numbers, which should have given Pitt a 1st and 10 at the 11 yard line. This is, of course, the same Pitt team that didn't belong on the field with the mighty Ole Miss Rebels. The Rebels somehow managed to hold the mighty Pitt rushing attack to only 2.3 yards per rush on 36 carries.

The bottom line is this:

Notre Dame's impressive defensive numbers are more a product of the offenses they faced than of the overall quality of their defense and Notre Dame's unimpressive offensive numbers do not look any better when you delve into the defenses they faced. Yes, Notre Dame's offense did seem to improve as the season went on, however, the quality of the defenses they faced went down during that stretch.

Meanwhile, Alabama's offensive and defensive numbers are impressive across the board. And when you examine the units they faced throughout the season, the quality of those numbers does not diminish. In fact, most of those numbers look more impressive when you delve into Alabama's competition.

The Statistical Differential Analysis model I'm using has evolved over the past few seasons as I've had time to put more into it. However, it's been fairly accurate for each of the past three seasons. The first "official", I guess you'd say, version of the model predicted a 30-20 Alabama win over Texas in the BCSCG three years ago. It also predicted a 24-10 Alabama win over LSU in last year's BCSCG. And, much more recently, it predicted a 34-27 Alabama win over Georgia in the SECCG - although, when I made my personal prediction, I went with my gut and said 34-17 since I thought there was no way Georgia was actually going to score 27 points on our Defense. :)

For this BCSCG, if you add it all up, the current version of the model - including the new 'Quality Unit' ratings - predicts a score tonight of:
Alabama 27
Notre Dame 16

Of course, for my personal prediction, I'm going to go with my gut and say that we'll do a bit better than the model predicts, for a score of:
Alabama 38
Notre Dame 13

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Well that's an awesome analysis. :eek: I wish I had the knowledge to do such an analysis. You know what ESPN says: Numbers don't lie.

I went with my gut and said 27-13 Bama. I don't see ND kicking 3 field goals.

I hope you're accurate. Thanks.

BAMA1979

All-American
Nov 15, 2006
Mobile
You have lots of good information. I wasn't going to read the entire post, but then I thought about how much time you must have spent putting it together and I felt like I should lol. Nice work!

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
I sure wished games were played in computer models sometimes...NOT!!! Analysis is solid and supports the eye test in my opinion. I'm of the opinion it will look like the Michigan game. That's my hope anyway.

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
The thing about Oklahoma in particular is their passing game is their running game. OK doesn't do a lot of vertical passing they throw short and look for their receivers to break for yardage. OK moved the ball on both ND and TAM but they just don't have a running game to get that 3rd and 2-3 yard play which is why they have to bring in that big QB, "Bell Dozer".

JamieSPC

1st Team
Aug 29, 2004
Maylene, AL
Much like Billy Crystal reading "Misery" in "When Harry Met Sally," I flipped to the end of your novel, in case I died before I finished reading. :)

GREAT ending.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Normally when I do a thread/post on teams' Statistical Differentials I do a long, detailed post with lots of numbers. I'm not going to do that this time for three reasons: 1) I don't really have time (as evidenced by the fact that I'm just now posting this today rather than a few days ago), 2) I've added another set of splits statistic categories to the model that had to mostly be figured/compared manually, and 3) I just don't really feel like it. :)

Even though I won't go into all of the details, I will give you a peek into some of the insight that can be gleaned from the data.

Etc, etc, etc.
Have you used the model for any other games besides the ones you listed? If so, did the model miss on any of its predictions on who would be victorious?

Last edited:
I sure wished games were played in computer models sometimes...NOT!!! Analysis is solid and supports the eye test in my opinion. I'm of the opinion it will look like the Michigan game. That's my hope anyway.
I agree with you. I still feel like some teams should have been ND this year.

Pitt
USC
Oklahoma
Michigan

For some reason it did not happen. All were close deep into the 4th quarter. A made field here or a holding call there made the difference. As we have seen, Bama laid the road map to beat Michigan. If you halfheartedly made an attempt to do that you had a great chance of coming out on top. USCw had a great chance with a true freshman QB. Matt B plays we may be playing Florida right now. Oklahoma just couldn't stop holding in their game and it was a few questionable calls as well. We have all seen Pitt. It seems like the dam is about to break here and once the Tide starts rolling you can't stop it.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
I agree with you. I still feel like some teams should have been ND this year.

Pitt
USC
Oklahoma
Michigan

For some reason it did not happen. All were close deep into the 4th quarter. A made field here or a holding call there made the difference. As we have seen, Bama laid the road map to beat Michigan. If you halfheartedly made an attempt to do that you had a great chance of coming out on top. USCw had a great chance with a true freshman QB. Matt B plays we may be playing Florida right now. Oklahoma just couldn't stop holding in their game and it was a few questionable calls as well. We have all seen Pitt. It seems like the dam is about to break here and once the Tide starts rolling you can't stop it.
And if it were just ONE game I would cut them a lot more slack but they were neck and neck in half their games and should have lost at least 3 of them.

And if it were just ONE game I would cut them a lot more slack but they were neck and neck in half their games and should have lost at least 3 of them.
It's one game I look at more than all the other. Boston College was terrible this year and they struggled to put them away. 21-6 was the final score and I stop and think what if Bama would have gotten a hold of them. It would look like the Arkansas score.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
Statistician here.

Basically, my analysis indicates that we have a 78% chance of winning. Predicted score: 16-10.

Really, more than anything, I am seeing that we have a much higher ceiling. Our maximum predicted score is 35, Notre Dame's is 23.

Any statistical analysis is difficult because of the long lay over between games, the neutral site, high emotion, etc. It's just a different game.

AccuScore is showing that we have won 81% of its simulations. They are a little more optimistic than I, but about the same.

But, it just comes down to who plays better tonight. We are the better team, but we have to prove it one more time.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
Interesting numbers. On ESPN, 52% of the country picked Notre Dame. I think most of them are either picking with their hearts instead of their heads, or they're just tired of Bama/SEC and it's wishful thinking.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Interesting numbers. On ESPN, 52% of the country picked Notre Dame. I think most of them are either picking with their hearts instead of their heads, or they're just tired of Bama/SEC and it's wishful thinking.
I definitely think SEC fatigue is playing into it. And although Notre Dame grates on everyone's nerves (except their fans of course), they haven't done anything in 25 years. It's easy to pick them over the SEC, if you hate both.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
Have you used the model for any other games besides the ones you listed? If so, did the model miss on any of its predictions on who would be victorious?
Yes, I have - sort of. :) While I have the bulk of the model programmed in to be automatically compared, much of the prediction-specific stuff is not. Add in that I have to manually enter quite a few stats into the db manually and you can see why I don't do it very often and especially not for a lot of teams.

I have done it for every major Alabama game for the past the seasons and a few other major games that piqued my interest. So far this year there are only two games, out of about a dozen, that it's gotten wrong: the Bama - Texas A&M game and the K-State - Baylor game. The K-State game was way off but the Bama - TAMU game would have been about dead-on if we had scored a touchdown on one of those last two drives.

It's quite a bit hit-or-miss when it comes to the scores but it's over 90% accurate on the games I've run it on overall for the past two seasons. I did quite a bit more with it last year than this year due to time commitments. Last year, though, it correctly predicted the outcome of all of the BCS Bowls except for the Rose (I think) which basically had the scores flipped.

This year, though, I can say for certain that it would have missed on a few, specifically the Sugar.

Sent from my Asus EEE Pad Transformer using Tapatalk 2

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
I can imagine that, for a lot of non-partisans, this is sort of like a hypothetical choice between John McCain and John Kerry for president - they don't want to vote for either one, so they don't.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.