Who was right, McCarron or Jones?

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I didn't like the shove, but I didn't like AJ yelling down a fifth year senior who has protected his backside. All in all, that was the ultra competitiveness and desire for perfection from this program, and more precise, two brothers squabbling.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
I didn't like the shove, but I didn't like AJ yelling down a fifth year senior who has protected his backside. All in all, that was the ultra competitiveness and desire for perfection from this program, and more precise, two brothers squabbling.
And played the last two games with torn ligaments... I'm betting the pain medication had worn off by then. :)

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Saw this on Facebook by an Auburn fan that had a meltdown the entire day yesterday and it's continued today...

Best imitation of a three-year-old that I've ever seen from a college football player. I hope AJ didn't soil his panties during that little _____ fit.
Would like to tell the person that is the difference in Alabama and other schools. With the score 42-14, AJ wants to properly execute the play.

Rasputin

Suspended
Apr 15, 2008
Barrett may have been right about the original count but AJ knew that time was running down and they needed to get the play off quicker or have a delay of game or burn a time out. It appeared that Barrett was being a little stubborn about it which set AJ off. AJ has a better look at the clock than Barrett and he is the QB so I'd give AJ the nod as to who was ultimately right.

I had a catcher once who got a little petulant and cost us a game so I kind of know how AJ felt. In basball the pitcher runs the show and in football it's the QB so the other players have to go along, right or wrong.
The confrontation wasn't over snap count. AJ was trying to put the offense in one play and Barrett in another.

SavannahDare

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Gulf Breeze, Florida
There's nothing to talk about here. They had a disagreement, AJ got in Barrett's face, and Barrett made it clear he wasn't going to tolerate being spoken to that way.

I think they both got their point across.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
AJ needs to save his temper for the bench. It's one thing to have a heated disagreement, it's another thing to show a guy up in front of all of his team mates, peers, and a national televised audience. I don't know who made the correct call on the field, but AJ has to control himself better that that no matter what the situation was.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I don't think anything of it, me and one of my best friends would dog each other during the course of me pitching and him catching during baseball, I'm sure a lot of teams had a blast at hearing us tell each other off. We spent more time fussing with each other than talking smack to the other side. Just how it is sometimes.

But at the end of the day we were still cracking open beers with no problem:biggrin:

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
AJ should't have jumped on BL. BJ shouldn't try to override the QB, right or wrong.

The QB has to be the leader in that situation.

It only occurred due to their close relationship.

I like our players fired up for perfection at that point of the game. AJ has come a long way in his leadership roll on offense.

Next year we'll enter the season with the best situation at QB in my adult lifetime. It's gonna be great!
:BigA:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
What were the directives from the coaches in this situation regarding changing the blocks and play and who makes the ultimate call? Does anyone here really know?
I think what caused the issue was the play clock was about to expire. It appeared AJ was more concerned with getting the play off rather than changing the play/blocking. Barrett, who more than likely didn't see how close to zero play clock was, was more concerned about getting the change right. I loved it! It just showed how business like this team is and how they take it very serious all the way down to the final play.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
It reinforced my opinion that AJ needs another year of college. He lost his composure big time and severely rattled probably the most mentally disciplined player on the team. Most men do not take well to having someone violently screaming in their ear. He can never do that in the NFL. AJ is needs another year...........thank God!

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
It reinforced my opinion that AJ needs another year of college. He lost his composure big time and severely rattled probably the most mentally disciplined player on the team. Most men do not take well to having someone violently screaming in their ear. He can never do that in the NFL. AJ is needs another year...........thank God!

I keep telling my wife this.... :wink:

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
There's nothing to talk about here. They had a disagreement, AJ got in Barrett's face, and Barrett made it clear he wasn't going to tolerate being spoken to that way.

I think they both got their point across.
I think this sums up what happened best.

AJ did invade BJ's space so that's the reason for the shove.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
I think this sums up what happened best.

AJ did invade BJ's space so that's the reason for the shove.
I also think their relationship that has been spoken of in articles and really a focus leading up to the game was played out for us to see. I think it was Barrett who basically said "That's just how our relationship is, no big deal." Well, the articles were right and all the quotes with examples given by these two about their relationship obviously were very true. They're like brothers. They can go off on each other one minute then give a big ole hug the next. That's closer to how family is than friends. But I'd be willing to bet if anyone else did that to one of them, the other would step in and take up for him. Like the "I can talk bad about him but you dang well better not."

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I think the ref was wanting to throw a flag for unsportsmanlike, but then remembered they were on the same team.

This is one of those things that is funny when you are up 28 on the #1 team late in the game. It would not have been funny during the last drive in a tie game.

Jones has two degrees and a 4.0. He also weighs over 300 pounds. I say he was right.

jcabama

1st Team
Jul 19, 2004
Bonaire GA
AJ should have been kissing one of Barrett's 3 rings (or multiple trophies) for keeping his jersey clean and his knees in tact instead of getting on him. That over-rated nose tackle he battled all night on a gimpy foot earned him a little slack and a lot of respect from everyone--especially his QB. My opinion though. I'm glad they both had the temperment to get over it though.

Last edited:

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I was at the doctors office today & was talking about the game with a Lady seating besides me..She asked me a question I didn't know the answer to..She asked me had they actually gotten more physical with each other & had to be separated by the refs..Could it have drawn a personal foul for unsportsmanlike conduct from the refs..I don't think it could..But..That would've been the least of their worries once they got back to the sideline with Coach Saban waiting..

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.