Did we "Geno" Manti Te'o?

BamaDMD

Hall of Fame
Sep 10, 2007
Rainsville Al
Re: Did we.Geno Manti Te'o?

I know he didn't win the heisman, but he was highly decorated. After watching highlights, our offense made him look fairly inept. Thoughts?
I'd say yes. Several times Herbie said he looked confused. I also saw one play he had his arms around our guy (I think Lacy) and he just left him behind.

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA

That kid was shell-shocked after the first drive. He didn't know what hit him. By the end of the quarter, he was dazed and confused. In that regard, yes, I believe we did.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

That kid was shell-shocked after the first drive. He didn't know what hit him. By the end of the quarter, he was dazed and confused. In that regard, yes, I believe we did.

if you watch the replay, there is a good shot of his expression going into the locker room at half. he looked like he was on the verge of sobbing. i think we made them quit at halftime.

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA

if you watch the replay, there is a good shot of his expression going into the locker room at half. he looked like he was on the verge of sobbing. i think we made them quit at halftime.
Well, judging by Kelley's comments at the half - 'Coach, what's it going to take for your team to come back in the 2nd half?' Kelley: 'For Bama not to come back out.' - I'd say that they quit from top to bottom.

BamaDMD

Hall of Fame
Sep 10, 2007
Rainsville Al

Well, judging by Kelley's comments at the half - 'Coach, what's it going to take for your team to come back in the 2nd half?' Kelley: 'For Bama not to come back out.' - I'd say that they quit from top to bottom.
I laughed when he said that. He also looked shocked much of the game. I like him though. He really seams to want to do things the way Saban does. In his own words though "we've got a ways to go"

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.

We can add ND to the list of teams who learned 'Arm tackling' don't work. Manti Te'o tried to 'Wave at Lacy', as he ran by. Te'o was pretty much pushed around where we wanted him, by our line... Lots of red faces by folks who heaped praise and rewards on him. The weak schedule played by ND convinced lots of folks that Manti Te'o was an unstoppable force... I'd say he was 'SABANIZED'... ;) Can I 'Coin that phrase'?

Last edited:

nx4bama

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2010
NW Alabama

I laughed when he said that. He also looked shocked much of the game. I like him though. He really seams to want to do things the way Saban does. In his own words though "we've got a ways to go"
yeah for whatever reason i had him pegged as a (can i say) butthead, but he really seems to have a lot of class about him. ive been impressed every time he's opened his mouth this last month

Im_on_dsp

All-SEC
Oct 10, 2007
Canton, GA

I like Te'o and think he is a classy player and good person but I think last night made it clear that he isn't anywhere near as good as the media annointed him. I kind of felt bad for him. You know, it's not these guys fault that the media slobbers all over them. :mad2:

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
The media love fest with the Domers makes any good player for them a target for over-inflation. If you're a pro coach, who are you going to draft, Te'o or CJ Mosley? It's not contest, yet the media outside of Alabama barely knows Mosley exists. Thankfully for our players NFL Guys need real talent, not catchy names and reputation.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
The analyst this AM (Smith?) had it right when he said that ND was simply not used to the speed they were seeing and, as a consequence, were taking bad angles. This was particularly true with MT. He just wasn't as mobile as I expected...

JPT4Bama

Hall of Fame
Aug 21, 2006
Hoover, AL
Manti's "greatness" was due in in large part to NBC and ESPN's marketing departments. He is a good LB. Nothing special. IMO

I eventually got sick about hearing that his Grandmother passed away. I know a certain Marine who's only, deeply beloved Grandmother passed away back in Alabama while he was fighting in Afghanistan and doubt seriously if he was any less hurt.

And yes I know his girlfriend also died but enough was enough.

My point is the media should not be exploiting death while in the middle of a marketing campaign for the Heisman.

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina
Never really got the Manti love thing. I was looking at individual defensive stats last night and the only category where he is in the top 50 is interceptions and that is number three. Several of those were "look what I found" catches. He is Tebow (without the stats). I am sure he is a great guy but enough of the Manti Christo meme.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio

We can add ND to the list of teams who learned 'Arm tackling' don't work. Manti Te'o tried to 'Wave at Lacy', as he ran by. Te'o was pretty much pushed around where we wanted him, by our line... Lots of red faces by folks who heaped praise and rewards on him. The weak schedule played by ND convinced lots of folks that Manti Te'o was an unstoppable force... I'd say he was 'SABANIZED'... ;) Can I 'Coin that phrase'?
Teo is a very good linebacker, and also a poster boy to emphasize showing football is a team sport. One great defensive player can rarely change a games outcome over a team effort.

Teo's defensive line was so man handled that he was fighting with an O-lineman almost every play...something that usually doesnt happen. hard for a LB to make an impact if he has to constantly try to go around a massive lineman. To me, the game exposed Notre Dames so called incredible defensive linemen who were blown apart by Warmack, Jones, Kouandjou, Fluker and Steen on almost every play!

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
He was sucked in on that TD pass so badly I could feel the low pressure system all the way in Huntsville. What a beautiful call Nuss made on that one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama
Te'o is a great LB. Last night he just found himself matched up with a very special O-Line, that's it. There is no need to run him down. He wasn't bad last night, we were great.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.