Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Paranoid on TideFans.com

Re: If you're AJ, do you re-evaluate your draft status?

Regardless, if AJ comes out this year it's to be a backup. A reasonably high draft pick, and perhaps groomed as a successor, but he's not going to be drafted to start for an NFL team.

However, AJ has a chance to play himself to the front of the line. I felt that the A&M game would be the deciding factor and it was. If AJ came up big (perhaps just a TD instead of INT) and Alabama beat A&M, I think he would have been a Heisman finalist (pushing Johnny down while his status went up) and could have sustained enough momentum. Instead, his performance wasn't the best and it really dropped him off the Heisman map and tarnished things.

As Saban said today, AJ should get respect for the things he did this upcoming season. He'll be a Heisman candidate from the start, and he'll have people watching him. He won't have to try and play himself into talk like he had to this year, he'll be there from the start. No NFL team minds AJ getting the extra experience. Nuss has a track record developing QBs, so AJ will only be more ready, and more proven as a quarterback. I hope he wins a Heisman, I hope he wins another NC, but even if he doesn't it's hard to imagine it hurts his stock. It's a wise financial move to stay one more year for him, but if he was a first rounder it would be completely different.
    Last edited by KrAzY3; January 8th, 2013 at 10:50 AM.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame CajunCrimson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Busy on TideFans.com

Here's the thing with AJ -- is he an NFL Starter as a Rookie? If so -- go. If not, take one more year of playing ball (instead of holding a Clip Board) and learn -- be a big fish - become a College Football Legend. Compete for a Heisman --

AJ will never be poor, never be hungry.........but he can become a 3 time Champion -- and a chance to be a part of 4 Rings in 5 Years -- the NFL can wait
    Raj: Excuse me, I can't be drinking, I'm about to make an important scientific discovery here!
    Howard:What? Galileo did his best work while drinking wine!
    Raj: How do you know that?
    Howard: He was Italian, it's a reasonable assumption.
    Raj: Dude, can you even open your mouth without saying a cultural stereotype?
    Howard: I'm sorry Galileo drank diet sprite!

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

AJ just said (in an interview on ESPN) that he was coming back next year, had already announced it, and wants to play with his brother (who will be a FR TE) one more year as neither of them are guaranteed they'll ever play anything after college.

He'll be back and we'll be (a lot) better for it!

RTR!
    DISCLAIMER: I hereby reserve the right to discuss any game on the Alabama schedule I wish, at any time during the season, as I am not a part of the Crimson Tide football program. I am simply a fan who has no impact outside of the money I provide the athletic department via ticket and memorabilia purchases and the energy I can provide when I attend the games. ©2009-2014, crimsonaudio

Lurch Backwater!

BamaNation Hall of Fame deliveryman35's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Yes--I would.
    "Football is a hard game. These spread coaches forget that. Until good defenses remind them." Gene Stallings

BamaNation First Team Snuffy Smith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

If you're AJ, do you re-evaluate your draft status?

One game can win you a Heisman but usually will not make you a first rounder.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BamaNation Second Team TideHiFlyer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

AJ has to got to work on keeping his emotions in check. Its one thing to feel the emotion, its entirely another to show such emotion. Im talking about the LSU outburst and now last night with Barrett. None of that is looked favorably upon in NFL lockerooms or with scouts. Dr. Elko has been working with CNS on his sideline demeanor in being more of "steady hand" on deck leading his troops in battle. He said yesterday on Finebaum's show that CNS is working on his expressions as not to be interpreted as "result oriented". AJ needs to hone these skills as well next season with the help of Dr. Elko. WHAT A GREAT GAME, HUH?!!<in my best Les Miles> lol ROLL TIDE ROLL!

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cynical on TideFans.com

No, its still the same AJ that that said he would come back.

BamaNation Hall of Fame GulfCoastTider's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Ornery on TideFans.com

I'm sorry. I love AJ and think the world of him and what he's done for Alabama. But he is not (currently) a first round draft pick. He is late second at the very best and probably mid third. There are too many better pro-style QB's in the 2013 draft with better measurables and better stats.

Nick Saban encourages juniors to evaluate their status after the regular season ends. He brings in consultants to help guys make the right decision, even telling them which teams are most likely to draft them and what round they'll be chosen. Depending on position, they are advised that if they have a reasonably good chance of being drafted in the first round by a good program, they should go pro. If they are projected to be second round picks or later, or if the consultants' evaluation of the likely NFL program is less than kind, they are encouraged to come back and improve their physical and mental preparation for the next level.

The "no more to prove" or "establishing a legacy" issues have almost no impact on that advice. At this point in their career, it's a business decision and nothing more.
    Last edited by GulfCoastTider; January 8th, 2013 at 11:01 AM.
    “Lamar Thomas has got it, he's on his way down the sidelines... George Teague runs him down! He took the ball away!!! HE'S GOT THE BALL!!!"

Thread deleted by SavannahDare
    Reason: Dude! Coach Saban would sooner die than tweet.

BamaNation All-American bamaslammer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

ND really gave little to no resistance to Alabama offensively. Don't get me wrong, he had a great game and I'm glad, but the same things that made him decide to come back are valid, he needs to get better at reading defenses and needs to be more consistent under duress. The NFL isn't a place you go to work on your game, you either got it or you're out of the league.
    BS 1989

BamaNation Hall of Fame bamacon's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I would because of the current crop of qbs in this draft. It's weak. Period. Next year will see that crop getting a whole lot more full. I would not be the least bit surprised if he reconsiders. Hope he doesn't but couldn't blame him if he did.

BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bamacon View Post
    I would because of the current crop of qbs in this draft. It's weak. Period. Next year will see that crop getting a whole lot more full. I would not be the least bit surprised if he reconsiders. Hope he doesn't but couldn't blame him if he did.
    That only helps if you are already graded as a 1st rounder.

BamaNation Hall of Fame bamacon's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I know. I just said he might reconsider. Russell Wilson is doing pretty decent as a 3rd rounder.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

If I'm AJ I'm thinking...Holy moly, I'm having the time of my life - 2 time national championship winning QB with a chance at a 3rd at a university I love. I'm gonna stick around and use up all of my eligibility and shoot for history. Win or lose this will be the most amazing ride of my life.
    "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present."

Oogway, Kung Fu Panda