Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame GulfCoastTider's Avatar
    Recipes
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Ornery on TideFans.com

Re: If you're AJ, do you re-evaluate your draft status?

Quote Originally Posted by bamacon View Post
    I know. I just said he might reconsider. Russell Wilson is doing pretty decent as a 3rd rounder.
    The difference between Wilson and AJ couldn't be more stark. Wilson had no more eligibility left and he is a dual threat QB, which is all the rage now in the NFL. Teams are now looking first and Andrew Luck/Matt Barkley types and if they can't get one of those, they're going with Newtons, RG's and Russell Wilsons.

AJ would be foolish to come out early.
    “Lamar Thomas has got it, he's on his way down the sidelines... George Teague runs him down! He took the ball away!!! HE'S GOT THE BALL!!!"

Thread deleted by SavannahDare
    Reason: Dude! Coach Saban would sooner die than tweet.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame bamacon's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

If you're AJ, do you re-evaluate your draft status?

Quote Originally Posted by GulfCoastTider View Post
    The difference between Wilson and AJ couldn't be more stark. Wilson had no more eligibility left and he is a dual threat QB, which is all the rage now in the NFL. Teams are now looking first and Andrew Luck/Matt Barkley types and if they can't get one of those, they're going with Newtons, RG's and Russell Wilsons.

AJ would be foolish to come out early.
    Got it. Just answering the original question posed. I'd re-evaluate if I were AJ. I'd likely come to the same conclusion but the smart thing to so is to make sure you covered all your bases. That's all.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Again, it's a moot point - he reiterated today that he was returning as he wants to play next year with his brother.
    DISCLAIMER: I hereby reserve the right to discuss any game on the Alabama schedule I wish, at any time during the season, as I am not a part of the Crimson Tide football program. I am simply a fan who has no impact outside of the money I provide the athletic department via ticket and memorabilia purchases and the energy I can provide when I attend the games. ©2009-2014, crimsonaudio

Lurch Backwater!

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Paranoid on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by bamacon View Post
    I know. I just said he might reconsider. Russell Wilson is doing pretty decent as a 3rd rounder.
    Russell Wilson is 24 and as has been pointed out he didn't have more eligibility. Being a running type QB, he also has a plan b if things get out of hand, which helps a young QB. The flip side for Russell is if he could have waited one more year, he might have seen his stock go up more, he might have been a first rounder, and he might have had a bigger pay day.

But, this year you have to look at everything. Who needs a QB, who the top ranked college QBs are, etc... AJ stands to gain by staying one more year. If this was a running back, I think the conversation might be a bit different. Also, I have to throw this out, AJ could bulk up a bit more and the NFL wouldn't mind.

BamaNation Hall of Fame bamacon's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    Again, it's a moot point - he reiterated today that he was returning as he wants to play next year with his brother.
    Sounds great. The end.

BamaNation All-American
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 257WBY View Post
    There is nothing left for AJ to do at Alabama. The smart move would be to enter the draft and get the money.
    Have to respectfully disagree here. It's true that AJ has nothing to prove from a championship perspective.

What he does have left to prove is personal. I think he's coming back, not to win another championship (though he certainly may do that), but to improve his game and prepare for the NFL.
    Undefeated World Champion Threadkiller

BamaNation Second Team
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I've said this before in regards to McCarron, but when I watch him I see alot of Matt Ryan in him. Ryan doesn't have the biggest arm and he wasn't thought to coming out of BC. Ryan was the third overall pick because he was very accurate, a proven winner and posessed the right intangibles. I am the furtherest thing from an NFL scout as possible, but my untrained eye does not see much of a difference between Ryan as an NFL draft pospect and McCarron. McCarron is probably coming back given that he has indicated as much, but this is a rather weak QB class in this year's draft and coming back doesn't always pan out (see Barkley and Mallett).

BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Busy on TideFans.com

i heard him say he wants to 3peat.
    Due to the current workload, the light at the end of the tunnel will be temporarily turned off.

BamaNation All-American colbysullivan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

AJ is doing the right thing by staying IMO, but let's not forget a lot of NFL teams are just plain stupid when it comes to evaluating QB's. Tom Brady is a 6th round pick but Christian Ponder and Tim Tebow are 1st rounders....LOL

BamaNation Hall of Fame GulfCoastTider's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Ornery on TideFans.com

I compare AJ to Eli all of the time. He has similar measurables, a similar style of play and a similar competitive attitude. When he exhausts his eligibility next season, I only hope he gets drafted by a program with a good offensive system like the Giants have. The Giants have a great offensive line and Eli has great receivers to throw to, plus a decent running game to complement his skills as a game manager.

I'd love to see him with the 49ers, Saints, Patriots, Ravens or any program that understands that an NFL quarterback is only as good as the rest of his offensive teammates.
    “Lamar Thomas has got it, he's on his way down the sidelines... George Teague runs him down! He took the ball away!!! HE'S GOT THE BALL!!!"

Thread deleted by SavannahDare
    Reason: Dude! Coach Saban would sooner die than tweet.

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like

Who are the quarterbacks that will be coming out next year that he would have to compete with?

Aaron Murray
    Connor Shaw (Maybe)
    Geno Smith (Not sure if he is staying)
    Landry Jones (Not sure if he is staying after his horrible showing against A&M)
    The guy from Clemson (Forget his name)

From my point of view, none of them have really lit it up this year (besides murray who is inconsistent and shaw who takes too much of a beating).

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Mellow on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by chanson78 View Post
    Who are the quarterbacks that will be coming out next year that he would have to compete with?

Aaron Murray
    Connor Shaw (Maybe)
    Geno Smith (Not sure if he is staying)
    Landry Jones (Not sure if he is staying after his horrible showing against A&M)
    The guy from Clemson (Forget his name)

From my point of view, none of them have really lit it up this year (besides murray who is inconsistent and shaw who takes too much of a beating).
    Conner Shaw is one of the worst starting quarterbacks in the SEC. If he goes into the NFL, and that is a HUGE if, it will be an undrafted free agent. Geno Smith is gone after this year, and he will be taken as the top quarterback in this years draft. Landry Jones is a senior, so he has no eligibility left. Tahj Boyd will potentially be a 1st rounder since he is a mobile quarterback, but I really don't see Murray being a huge threat. Murray is to inconsistent, and if anything he will be a late 1st rounder.

I would expect that Braxton Miller of Ohio State, Jordan Lynch out of NIU, Teddy Bridgewater out of Louisville, and Logan Thomas out of VaTech will be some of the hottest names going into next season as the players to watchout for. Also, there will probably be several more that will pop up from smaller schools like Mike Glennon has out of NCSt this year. I'm thinking that AJ might be the first quarterback taken in the draft next year barring a superman season out of Miller, as well as a potential Heisman front runner for the upcoming season. In my opinion it would behoove him to come back for his final season.

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for clearing that up. Still tired from last night, and with a new baby in the house I'm a bit foggy.

I had forgotten about bridgewater. That guy is impressive as heck.