Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Gutsy? Or stupid? Picking on Milliner

I don't think their offensive game plan was awful. They were able to move the ball (at times/in little chuncks) the just could not sustain anything. What lost the game for them was their D (our offense). They could not stop us and their offense could never get into any rhythm.

I said when we lost to A&M our D did not lose that game it was our offense. They could not sustain anything in the first quarter and keep our defense off the field. The opposite was true last night. Our offense moved the ball, built a lead and eventually took ND out of their game plan.
    Roll Tide

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation First Team Gallowglas's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

It was idiotic IMHO. I can think of a few dozen other, better options than trying to pick on a player that's going to be a high first-rounder.

BamaNation Hall of Fame GulfCoastTider's Avatar
    My Mood
    Ornery on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Matt0424 View Post
    Gutsy move I think... they had to try it
    I agree, and Bama disguised coverage all night to fool Golson into thinking Dee was in man or press man coverage.

Golson cocks to throw the ball and waddya know, here comes HaHa to take the over while Dee takes the under.

Eifert had no chance.
    “Lamar Thomas has got it, he's on his way down the sidelines... George Teague runs him down! He took the ball away!!! HE'S GOT THE BALL!!!"

Thread deleted by SavannahDare
    Reason: Dude! Coach Saban would sooner die than tweet.

Quote Originally Posted by jps1983 View Post
    To be fair, a lot of the first half throws were to Eifert when Dee was covering him. I think their gameplan was "get the ball to our best offensive weapon at any cost." They really found success in the second half going to their WRs because we weren't giving them Eifert. They should've adjusted earlier; we were clearly trying to take the run and Eifert out of the game and taking chances on their WRs.
    that's using a pretty generous definition of "success"
    Hail Mary, Full of Grace, Notre Dame in Second Place, with a made up girlfriend

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.

-Bertrand Russell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.

— Thomas Pynchon

I don't think they were picking on Milliner as much as they were going to Eifert no matter what. I'm surprised used him out wide as much as they did, but ND must have figured that single coverage out wide with Milliner was better than the coverage they'd get over the middle.

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

This play by Belue was great last night. ND had success in the passing game only after Bama went up 21-0.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:8822946
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

BamaNation All-American colbysullivan's Avatar

Gutsy? Or stupid? Picking on Milliner

Maybe they were watching tape from 2010

BamaNation All-SEC

seeing how it worked out for them......im going 'stupid' for 500.

BamaNation First Team Highway59's Avatar
    My Mood
    Fine on TideFans.com

Not the smartest move on their part.

BamaNation All-American IMALOYAL1's Avatar
    My Mood
    Fine on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by jps1983 View Post
    I think they knew milliner was going to be left on an island most of the night and they wanted to try to get the one n one matchup.
    This is the correct answer. The coverage dictated it. Part of Sabans plan.
    Last edited by IMALOYAL1; January 8th, 2013 at 03:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CullmanTide View Post
    I think they came out cocky and wanted to show him up. It didn't quite work out for them.
    Maybe they thought, if, they could connect they could get a Saftey cheating that way and open something else up.
    Not being a coach that is just conjecture. But, Milner showed why he is an All-American and Coach Saben and Coach Smart showed
    they were ready for that thought. IMHO, not a bad idea of Coach Kelly's. They had to try many different attacks on our defense. I
    think Coach Kelly knew he was outmanned. But he saw that our secondary was not the secondary we have had in the past and had to test it.
    Just an "Old Dummies" opinion.
    ROLL TIDE!

Quote Originally Posted by Snuffy Smith View Post
    Michigan tried it 1st game of the year - shoulda watched how that worked out for them.
    LOL, and that's why they rarely threw at Milliner all season. That was a great pick, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by TideMom2Boys View Post
    Trying to take a page out of our book from last year? Where we kept throwing at the honey badger. Only exception is Milliner can actually play cornerback.
    FIFY.

But in regards to the OP, yeah the coverage really dictated it. Almost all game they were rolling the coverage to the other side away from Dee leaving him on an island playing bump-and-run coverage.

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideMan09's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Stupid move by The Irish..They should have called Spurrier as to how smart it is to pick on one of Bama's DB's..Didn't work out to good for him either if I remember correctly..