Gutsy? Or stupid? Picking on Milliner

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
Well....imagine we're in a coaches meeting and I say.."I think we should pick out their absolute best corner and throw at him all night"..

Am I dumb or gutsy?
To be fair, a lot of the first half throws were to Eifert when Dee was covering him. I think their gameplan was "get the ball to our best offensive weapon at any cost." They really found success in the second half going to their WRs because we weren't giving them Eifert. They should've adjusted earlier; we were clearly trying to take the run and Eifert out of the game and taking chances on their WRs.

rizolltizide

Hall of Fame
Jan 4, 2003
st pete, fl
Only thing I can think of is they thought they could just throw jump balls all night and Eifert would come down with them. Honestly, I haven't watched more than about a quarter's worth of domer football all year because I just can't stand the overhype when they play, but I suspect that has been their MO all year. Just throw it up and let a better athlete catch it. Only problem is, they weren't the better athletes last night.

Anywhoo, brilliance on Kelly's part that I'll gladly accept.

TIDE24

1st Team
Jan 12, 2000
Bartlett, TN
I don't think their offensive game plan was awful. They were able to move the ball (at times/in little chuncks) the just could not sustain anything. What lost the game for them was their D (our offense). They could not stop us and their offense could never get into any rhythm.

I said when we lost to A&M our D did not lose that game it was our offense. They could not sustain anything in the first quarter and keep our defense off the field. The opposite was true last night. Our offense moved the ball, built a lead and eventually took ND out of their game plan.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
To be fair, a lot of the first half throws were to Eifert when Dee was covering him. I think their gameplan was "get the ball to our best offensive weapon at any cost." They really found success in the second half going to their WRs because we weren't giving them Eifert. They should've adjusted earlier; we were clearly trying to take the run and Eifert out of the game and taking chances on their WRs.
that's using a pretty generous definition of "success" ;)

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
I don't think they were picking on Milliner as much as they were going to Eifert no matter what. I'm surprised used him out wide as much as they did, but ND must have figured that single coverage out wide with Milliner was better than the coverage they'd get over the middle.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
This play by Belue was great last night. ND had success in the passing game only after Bama went up 21-0.

[video]http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:8822946[/video]

Tguy64

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 19, 2005
I think they came out cocky and wanted to show him up. It didn't quite work out for them.
Maybe they thought, if, they could connect they could get a Saftey cheating that way and open something else up.
Not being a coach that is just conjecture. But, Milner showed why he is an All-American and Coach Saben and Coach Smart showed
they were ready for that thought. IMHO, not a bad idea of Coach Kelly's. They had to try many different attacks on our defense. I
think Coach Kelly knew he was outmanned. But he saw that our secondary was not the secondary we have had in the past and had to test it.
Just an "Old Dummies" opinion.
ROLL TIDE!

Alan22

Oct 6, 2012
Cocodrie, LA
Michigan tried it 1st game of the year - shoulda watched how that worked out for them.
LOL, and that's why they rarely threw at Milliner all season. :biggrin: That was a great pick, haha.

Trying to take a page out of our book from last year? Where we kept throwing at the honey badger. Only exception is Milliner can actually play cornerback.
FIFY. :cool2:

But in regards to the OP, yeah the coverage really dictated it. Almost all game they were rolling the coverage to the other side away from Dee leaving him on an island playing bump-and-run coverage. :)

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Stupid move by The Irish..They should have called Spurrier as to how smart it is to pick on one of Bama's DB's..Didn't work out to good for him either if I remember correctly..

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.