Gutsy? Or stupid? Picking on Milliner

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
Why in the world did notre dumb continue to try to isolate and pick on Milliner? Did they see something on tape that my crimson glasses haven't seen?

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they did, but I sure didnt understand it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
I think they knew milliner was going to be left on an island most of the night and they wanted to try to get the one n one matchup. I think they really went after Belue in the second half more and had a bit more success with it. After the tipped pass pick, I don't think they went back against Dee. I would've attacked Belue because he's had issues with taller WR's.

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama
I'm guessing but I think it was a case of an inexperienced QB throwing to a chosen receiver, and not analyzing his matchups before the play.

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
They tried to establish something that wasn't there. They went after Belue but the game was in hand by that time. Even though they went after him it was mixed results. It was nothing they could do.
I was afraid Belue was gonna get picked on all night.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
When they did it while throwing to #80, it made sense. He has such a huge height advantage that it overcame Milliner's ability. But when they did it deep down the field, it was sheer stupidity.

While this win was all Alabama, Kelly didn't even give his team a chance when he decided early on in the game to go away from their offensive strength - their running game. Once they made that move, the game was over. They had no chance of tiring Alabama's defense and getting back into the game late. Kelly let the score change his play calling, and that should never happen early in the 2nd quarter.

tidefan39817

All-American
Jan 17, 2006
Bainbridge, Georgia
they would have done better putting their TE in the slot and matching him up on Sunseri when he was in the game. i thought it was gutsy going after Dee. i wanted to see a pick six so bad...

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
Trying to take a page out of our book from last year? Where we kept throwing at the honey badger. Only exception is Milliner is a much better player than him.

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
When they did it while throwing to #80, it made sense. He has such a huge height advantage that it overcame Milliner's ability. But when they did it deep down the field, it was sheer stupidity.

While this win was all Alabama, Kelly didn't even give his team a chance when he decided early on in the game to go away from their offensive strength - their running game. Once they made that move, the game was over. They had no chance of tiring Alabama's defense and getting back into the game late. Kelly let the score change his play calling, and that should never happen early in the 2nd quarter.
Agree. Basically said that "what we do isn't good enough. Let's get cute."

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
they would have done better putting their TE in the slot and matching him up on Sunseri when he was in the game. i thought it was gutsy going after Dee. i wanted to see a pick six so bad...
Exactly, but I thought I remembered that we basically tried to take VS out of coverage situations about mid-season?

TideHiFlyer

Scout Team
Sep 3, 2012
A, A
I think they knew milliner was going to be left on an island most of the night and they wanted to try to get the one n one matchup. I think they really went after Belue in the second half more and had a bit more success with it. After the tipped pass pick, I don't think they went back against Dee. I would've attacked Belue because he's had issues with taller WR's.
Right on the mark.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Well....imagine we're in a coaches meeting and I say.."I think we should pick out their absolute best corner and throw at him all night"..

Am I dumb or gutsy?

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
I'm not even sure we had a weak side last night. Belue had some great breakups and Golson had nowhere to go. I suspect Milliner got a lot of work because you end up throwing at your last checkdown because that's where you are looking when you've run out of options.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.