Urban Meyer's comments in the latter part of the post game BCS Championship Show

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
At least Holtz has a built in excuse and I can't dislike Corso after all he has been through.
I felt very sorry for Corso last night and the fact that he's so disabled they could only bring him on for the last hour before the game. You could tell he was having to work hard to get his thoughts and words right. He's a clown and I don't have any hard feelings for him - just hate to see him in this shape...

lincoln_osiris

1st Team
Feb 11, 2009
Didn't really see his post game, but at half time I thought Meyer was pretty fair. He said what Notre Dame needed to do, and that he didn't think they could do it. That we were just the better team. Desmond seemed to really be enjoying watching the Domers getting handled.

CaptainTide

Scout Team
Apr 16, 2011
Mobile, AL
Am I the only one who kinda likes Urban Meyer? He's a cool guy and a great coach, IMO.
I would like to meet tOSU next season and process him again, though, of course.

JPT4Bama

Hall of Fame
Aug 21, 2006
Hoover, AL
Urban is and always has been a jerk. I think it made him a little "sick" to see Bama up close again.

Corso just wanted to dress like a leprechaun IMO. Pretty dang funny too.

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
Just like 40 years ago, these northern schools band together against southern schools. CUM was out of place at FL. Plain & simple he wanted to get back home.

His opinion is no different than most up there with Blackledge & Herbie clearly different.

Bo JCkson said it best in that they can say what they want about the south but we know how to play football.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Am I the only one who kinda likes Urban Meyer? He's a cool guy and a great coach, IMO.
I would like to meet tOSU next season and process him again, though, of course.
I don't know what to think of him as a person yet, but he is a great head coach. Not "Saban" great, but Saban may be the best ever. He really disappointed me with his half-time and post-game comments. Even as an analyst he found it hard to be gracious.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I felt very sorry for Corso last night and the fact that he's so disabled they could only bring him on for the last hour before the game. You could tell he was having to work hard to get his thoughts and words right. He's a clown and I don't have any hard feelings for him - just hate to see him in this shape...
Same here - I have always enjoyed what he brought to the Gameday program. He is light-hearted and having fun. A shame to see him (or anyone else) in this condition.

rizolltizide

Hall of Fame
Jan 4, 2003
st pete, fl
I don't know what to think of him as a person yet, but he is a great head coach. Not "Saban" great, but Saban may be the best ever. He really disappointed me with his half-time and post-game comments. Even as an analyst he found it hard to be gracious.
You've been a good guy around here, so I'm just gonna go ahead and tell you straight up, don't expect to hear many positive remarks as it relates to Urbz now or in the future. Most of us respect what he has done as a head coach, pretty hard to argue that, but as a human being, he lacks a lot to be desired.

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
The expression on his face at the end of the game told it all. He looked like he was sitting on a board of nails.

HighTide3

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 11, 2012
I heard about ten words out of Urban's mouth before I hit the mute button.
I heard him say that it would be a low-scoring game, likely not many points scored in the first quarter.
Actually, he was projecting his wishes on his prognosticating.
It was as if watching ND beat us would've been football pron for him.

I respect what he accomplished at UF and he's made a major impact on the Ohio S program thus far.

I hope it's Alabama vs. Ohio State next year for all the marbles.
Maybe we can knock him out of football again!?

KrimsonNinja

All-SEC
Apr 22, 2009
Florida
I had respect for Urban Meyer during his time at Florida. Now...not so much. As for his comments I also would like to see Alabama play Oregon and see if we shut them down just as good as Stanford did or even better.

If one thing bothers me about college football it's the constant "what if" scenarios that people keep bringing up. 'What if' doesn't win games, 'what if' doesn't win Championships. Playing the games you're given and winning those games are what matter, nothing else. If Urban is upset that Alabama is constantly winning he just needs to be honest about it and stop acting like a child.

CaptainTide

Scout Team
Apr 16, 2011
Mobile, AL
Yes, you are. Ha.
Well, excuse me if I actually give people a chance...
I mean really, come on, looking at the hate that's being thrown around at Meyer in this thread is kind of...wow to me.

I've gotta say, then, kudos to you for being able to stick around on a board where there's quite a bit of bias against teams like Ohio State. :)
As I've said before, I would love for Bama to play OSU sometime. It'd be a great game, especially with Meyer as the coach.

Last edited:

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Trust me if anyone has a bone to pick with Coach Meyer it would be all of us Florida Gators for the fiasco we went through in 2010 - his last season for us when we went 7-5.

But regardless of his actions and his remarks, the fact remains he can flat out coach as demonstrated by his lifetime FBS record of 116-23 --- 7-1 in bowl games.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urban_Meyer

Taking tOSU to 12-0 this year is something to admire.

I am happy for him that he is back doing what he wants to do.

Life goes on....

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Captain Tide, I stated earlier in the thread that I have a lot of respect for Urban Meyer.

Maybe I'm wrong. I thought Urban Meyer was having panic attacks and was advised to get out of coaching. I'd love to spend more time with my family, but I have a job I love, even though it's high stress with long hours, and so I keep working. I'm near retirement age and have no desire to leave. If my doctor told me I needed to get away I would, but with hesitation.

I thought this was what happened to Urban. Didn't he give up a lot of responsibilities his last year at Florida, the year the Gators went 7-5? Wouldn't that tell a prideful man the team is better off with someone who can give the Gators more time?

At what point do you guys draw the line at when Urban says he's getting out of football to spend more time with his family? Being an ESPN analyst is not a high stress job and keeps a lifelong coach in football. He probably did get to spend a lot more time with his family than when he was head coach at Florida. Spending more time with your family does not mean you spend all of your time with your family.

Another dream job opens and Urban feels like he can handle the pressure better now. I would assume he talked to his doctor(s) and was advised one way or the other. He's an Ohio native so he takes tOSU job.

One thing's for certain ... the guy is a great football coach and a winner. I don't thing for a minute that he's scared of Nick Saban. Great coaches just aren't wired that way.

Some of these opinions I'm reading seem very prejudiced by people that developed a hatred for Urban Meyer when he was beating Alabama. I hate losing to Florida, but this is character assassination for no good reason.

What am I missing?:conf2:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.