Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    BamaNation All-American AlexanderFan's Avatar
    My Mood
    Talkative on TideFans.com

Big A AJ's place on Alabama's Mount Rushmore of quarterbacks

So in your opinion where does AJ rank on the all-time list of Alabama's great quarterbacks? He is the beneficiary of elite talent around him to be sure, but he is not too shabby himself. Let's face it, barring injury he will leave Alabama as the greatest statistical quarterback to ever walk by Denny Chimes, not to mention he will have AT LEAST three BCS national championship rings. Alabama has had a lot of great quarterbacks, but I believe AJ has to be considered the greatest.

Let the discussion commence.

P. S. : I don't know how to make a poll or I would, if I figure it out I will make one.
    "It's not luck, it's random bursts of talent." - Gage Robinson

2. Advertisement

Re: AJ's place on Alabama's Mount Rushmore of quarterbacks

i would say he is in the top tier to be sure. and he still has one more year to make even more of an impact
    Hail Mary, Full of Grace, Notre Dame in Second Place, with a made up girlfriend

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.

-Bertrand Russell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

30 TDs and 3 INTs.

He's won more BCS titles than he has losses as a starter.

Best ever.

I like to imagine the future...

I can see AJ being interviewed 40 years from now, when he's old like Namath is now, and going on about Saban.

BamaNation All-SEC

He just completed, almost inarguably, the greatest season by any Bama QB ever, and that was coming off a NC game MVP. I think you have to say that strictly as a COLLEGE QB, he's the greatest ever at Bama.

Quote Originally Posted by JIB View Post
    He's won more BCS titles than he has losses as a starter.
    Slight correction - he's lost two as a starter and won two BCS titles as a starter. Still very impressive.
    DISCLAIMER: I hereby reserve the right to discuss any game on the Alabama schedule I wish, at any time during the season, as I am not a part of the Crimson Tide football program. I am simply a fan who has no impact outside of the money I provide the athletic department via ticket and memorabilia purchases and the energy I can provide when I attend the games. ©2009-2014, crimsonaudio

Lurch Backwater!

BamaNation Hall of Fame rizolltizide's Avatar

He's one of the best. Period.
    RIP Hub

My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

I told a friend before this game that if we win you have to start putting AJ up there. He has two national titles and played big in both title games. As long as he stays healthy next season he'll start putting Alabama passing records out of reach. Starr, Stabler and Namath will always be Bama legends at QB but I believe AJ has earned a place up there IMO. He's not done which is the scary part.

If he wins again next year he will belong on the Mt Rushmore for all of college football.

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    Slight correction - he's lost two as a starter and won two BCS titles as a starter. Still very impressive.
    He's got 3 BCS titles and 2 losses as a starter.

BamaNation All-American BamaFlum's Avatar
    My Mood
    Festive on TideFans.com

AJ's place on Alabama's Mount Rushmore of quarterbacks

He was the first QB in decades to toss a TD pass on a championship. Oh wait, he tossed 4!
    RTR!

AJ is very close to a perfect fit for the type of quarterback that Nick Saban wants in his offense. Control the offense, put them in the right play, limit turnovers, keep offense calm, limit negative plays, throw away the ball when under pressure, stretch out the defense with the deep ball, great play action ability...etc.

Quote Originally Posted by JIB View Post
    He's got 3 BCS titles and 2 losses as a starter.
    Indeed, but he wasn't a starter in 2009. Not to get into an argument here, but if you count 2009, you have to count 2010. Either that or maybe write what you mean more clearly - your original post read (to me) as if he had more rings as a starter than losses as a starter.

Either way, doesn't diminish the fact that he's probably the best we've ever had, by just about any measure! RTR!
    DISCLAIMER: I hereby reserve the right to discuss any game on the Alabama schedule I wish, at any time during the season, as I am not a part of the Crimson Tide football program. I am simply a fan who has no impact outside of the money I provide the athletic department via ticket and memorabilia purchases and the energy I can provide when I attend the games. ©2009-2014, crimsonaudio

Lurch Backwater!