Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: AJ's place on Alabama's Mount Rushmore of quarterbacks

Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    AJ is very close to a perfect fit for the type of quarterback that Nick Saban wants in his offense. Control the offense, put them in the right play, limit turnovers, keep offense calm, limit negative plays, throw away the ball when under pressure, stretch out the defense with the deep ball, great play action ability...etc.
    he can also make some amazingly accurate throws
    Hail Mary, Full of Grace, Notre Dame in Second Place, with a made up girlfriend

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.

-Bertrand Russell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Second Team Bama Czar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rickvox79 View Post
    I told a friend before this game that if we win you have to start putting AJ up there. He has two national titles and played big in both title games. As long as he stays healthy next season he'll start putting Alabama passing records out of reach. Starr, Stabler and Namath will always be Bama legends at QB but I believe AJ has earned a place up there IMO. He's not done which is the scary part.
    I hear you, but I really don't put Starr on "Alabama's Mt Rushmore of quarterbacks". Simply because the overwhelming body of Starr's legend was built in the pro football world with the Packers. He certainly is a noteable alumni though.

Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    he can also make some amazingly accurate throws
    That would fall under the "etc" category

One of the best ever at Bama no doubt. There have been many other talented qbs at Bama that didn't have the talent that AJ is surrounded with but that's just the way it is... The fact is, there's no way we win either of the last two without him.

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

AJ's place on Alabama's Mount Rushmore of quarterbacks

If not at the top, he's very near it.
    ROLL TIDE!

Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    That would fall under the "etc" category
    oh, i thought the etc. was for his smoking hot girlfriend
    Hail Mary, Full of Grace, Notre Dame in Second Place, with a made up girlfriend

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.

-Bertrand Russell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

Here's the Mount Rushmore: AJ, Barker, Stabler, Namath and Gilmer. I know it's 5 but I can't figure out who to take out. GMac would be the alternate I think.

BamaNation All-American BamaDMD's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by JIB View Post
    He's got 3 BCS titles and 2 losses as a starter.
    How do you figure that? He wasn't on the 2009 team.

BamaNation Second Team Bama Czar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BamaDMD View Post
    How do you figure that? He wasn't on the 2009 team.
    I believe he was on the team, and was redshirted. I think I remember Saban saying that if GMac had been injured against Texas, AJ would have played and lost the redshirt.

BamaNation All-American BamaDMD's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Czar View Post
    I believe he was on the team, and was redshirted. I think I remember Saban saying that if GMac had been injured against Texas, AJ would have played and lost the redshirt.
    Wow. If he was, he would get a ring for that too....

In my lifetime he is the top Alabama QB. It's very hard to compare him to Stabler, Namath, or Starr, because those are all Super Bowl quarterbacks.

Unfortunately, the Alabama quarterbacks of my lifetime are career NFL backups, if that. AJ has a chance to break through that though, if he has a great season he could land someplace that wants him as their starter and might be willing to use a first round pick (another thing I don't believe has happened in my lifetime).

As it is right now, I used to feel Jay Barker was the ideal QB simply because he never did anything to lose a game. He was a winner, he didn't make mistakes, and even if he wasn't the most talented, he was a champion. I also was a Phillip Sims fan. I still am a Phillip Sims fan, he has a lot of talent, and he's in a bad situation now, but he could still turn out to be an NFL player. I didn't believe in AJ, not because I questioned his talent, but because I questioned his decision making. Clearly, I was wrong. He has reached the level that it's hard to imagine I'd want anyone else playing QB for Alabama during a championship game.

BamaNation All-American RollTide1017's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

The only Alabama QB to win back-to-back national titles, he's at the top of my list. In 20 years it won't be just Stabler, Namath and Starr; it will be Stabler, Namath, Starr and McCarron.

In 20 years, it won't just be Bryant-Denny Stadium; it will be Bryant-Denny Stadium at Saban Field.

BamaNation All-SEC
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by RollTide1017 View Post
    In 20 years, it won't just be Bryant-Denny Stadium; it will be Bryant-Denny Stadium at Saban Field.
    True dat!

I'm an old guy and Namath and Stabler will always be my favorites, Stabler in particular. You just had to see him play.

I think it's just individual preference. AJ is the best QB I've seen at Bama since the 60's.

Mt Rushmore ain't big enough for Bama. They're going to have to find a bigger mountain.