What gives with the elite defensive line recruiting?

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
With Walker's flip I'm sitting here wondering if the 3-4 scheme we run is used against us in recruiting elite defensive talent? "If you go to Bama you will end up double teamed so their linebackers can make all the plays." Thoughts? Ideas? Also any players come to mind who might take Walker's spot?

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Below are the D Line prospects I got from Mack's sticky above. In addition, they say that a BCSNC pays off two or three years down the road. Since we now have 3 in the past 4 years I am sure we got the attention of someone last night that may want to win a championship or two.

Prospects

Robert Nkemdiche - 6-4/285 - SDE - Logansville, GA
Montravius Adams - 6-4/310 - DT - Vienna, GA
Tim Williams - 6-3/225 - WDE - Baton Rouge, LA
Dee Liner - 6-2.5/277 - DT - Muscle Shoals, AL (Auburn Commit)
Kendall Beckwith - 6-2.5/225 - WDE - Jackson, LA
Caleb Brantley - 6-3/308 - DT - Crescent City, FL
Alquadin Muhammed - 6-4/230 - WDE - Ramsey, NJ
Joe Mathis - 6-4/250 - DT - Upland, CA
Ebenezer Ogundeko - 6-4/238 - SDE - Brooklyn, NY
Jay-Nard Bostwick - 6-4/280 - SDE - St. Lucie, FL
Maquedius Bain - 6-3/308 - DT - Ft. Lauderdale, FL

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
We are being hurt by coaches convincing kids that there is a difference between defenses. Certainly Marcel Dareus had no problem making sacks or getting drafted high running this system. Here is the truth that these kids need to know. If you are good you WILL be double teamed no matter what. Do you think Clowney gets single blocked, ever. If he's single blocked somebody screwed up.

As it stands I'm really more interested in the kind of player who saw the demolition we made of ND and the ridiculous number of championship rings around here and says, THATS what I'm about.

It's worth noting also that some of our defensive ends we turn into Jacks.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
Sure, the 3-4 has a negative perception that the "superstar" ends don't play in it. Schools use it against us.

We recruit a lot of "high school DTs" to play the end spots. Why? because they are bigger. Now, DT's are often rated lower by the services, however, some of these "3 star DTs" are often 4 star DEs in a 3-4, and it appeals to those types as well.

Darius Paige is going to turn some heads at DE in our defense.

brutetough

1st Team
Dec 11, 2010
I agree. However, the NT position maybe the hardest for a 3-4 team to recruit and develop. We went Juco route twice and got two big stars Cody and Williams. I just hope we can have 1 NT recruit in each class, but it seems to be hard.
Sure, the 3-4 has a negative perception that the "superstar" ends don't play in it. Schools use it against us.

We recruit a lot of "high school DTs" to play the end spots. Why? because they are bigger. Now, DT's are often rated lower by the services, however, some of these "3 star DTs" are often 4 star DEs in a 3-4, and it appeals to those types as well.

Darius Paige is going to turn some heads at DE in our defense.

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
Elite defensive ends are told by other schools that they will be nothing more than "gap-fillers" in Alabama's defense. If only one school was saying this, the recruit would just shrug it off, but since every school in the south knows that it is a successful line to use against Alabama, they end up hearing it from multiple places and start believing it.

Defensive ends want to be the next Clowney, Bowers or Mario Williams and they end up getting convinced that Alabama's scheme would never allow them to do that.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
In our 3-4 system we are recruiting elite HS DE to play Jack. They will not always have their hand on the ground and will have to play in coverage at times and some don't want that. We missed on Clowney because he is from SC and he signed with his home state school so his family could watch him play more often. We have probaly missed on Nkmediche because his brother is at Ole Siss and his family and they want to play together. We missed on Walker because he had a fight with his dad, mom wanted him to go FLA and he loves Coach Pruitt and he's from FLA. What I'm saying here it's not the defensive scheme were are running in most cases but 18 year olds being 18 year olds. We are going to be fine and I think we will keep winning championships with the players we have and get.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
We've had a couple of JC nose tackles that have had a significant impact for us the past few years. Is there one that might emerge before signing day this year? Then again, I suppose we would want them as an EE.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
We've had a couple of JC nose tackles that have had a significant impact for us the past few years. Is there one that might emerge before signing day this year? Then again, I suppose we would want them as an EE.
Yeah... the juco ship has sailed, barring something crazy happening

RM80

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 24, 2011
Anniston, AL
With Walker's flip I'm sitting here wondering if the 3-4 scheme we run is used against us in recruiting elite defensive talent? "If you go to Bama you will end up double teamed so their linebackers can make all the plays." Thoughts? Ideas? Also any players come to mind who might take Walker's spot?

I think FSU is going to run a 3-4 also so in this case the scheme didnt play a factor. Maybe they push for Tim Williams or Jason Carr.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Below are the D Line prospects I got from Mack's sticky above. In addition, they say that a BCSNC pays off two or three years down the road. Since we now have 3 in the past 4 years I am sure we got the attention of someone last night that may want to win a championship or two.

Prospects

Do any of you think we ultimately sign ANY of these elite DE's in this class?

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
Prospects

Several of those names are off the board now, fwiw.. Nkemdiche eliminated us today, we've never pursued Adams super strongly, Brantley, Beckwith, and Muhammad are pretty firm verbals now... I think we'll be looking outside the "known" names to pull a commit or two...

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Sure it would be nice to land the big name DE's..With or without them..Coach Saban will still recruit players that fits his system & will still field the Nations best D at the end of each year..If they decide to join..Great..If not..The Championships will keep rolling into TTown..

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Bostwick, Carr, Williams, and Liner are all very much in play...and Vanderdoes scheduled a visit
It would be nice to get a couple of these guys. With the National Championship in the hip pocket the coaches can go after some nice gems to go with an already nice bounty of recruits. I think we finish strong...again.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.