Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame cbi1972's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Re: ATTN MEDIA, re: Christion Jones "fumble" on the punt return

Quote Originally Posted by badpenny View Post
    What I recall most clearly was that Musburger invited their expert official to interpret the call. He stated that the rule did not require the defender to touch the returner for interference to be called. Musburger essentially dismissed the expert by saying that was his "opinion". Well, gee Mushy, that's why ESPN hired him. When is ESPN going to get rid of this idiot?
    I was amazed that they had Rogers Redding on hand at all to destroy their misinformed opinions.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere
    "When a loaf of bread looks like a banquet, I've no right buying tobacco. " - Grandpa Joe

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American CrimsonForce's Avatar
    My Mood
    Cool on TideFans.com

I thought part of the ruling of a fair catch was allowing the player to catch the ball until the ball hit the ground. In other words, if a player calls for a fair catch and bobbles the ball into the air, that he still has to be given a chance to catch the ball before it hits the ground. Maybe I'm wrong about this, but I thought maybe thats why it was called. CJ was still trying to catch the ball before it hit the ground. As soon as he didnt catch it cleanly they nailed him. Like I said, maybe Im wrong but I thought I remember hearing this part of the ruling at one time or another.

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Did the referee identify the ND player? There was the gunner Belue was blocking and another ND player. Wonder if the second guy was the guilty party. He interfered with Jones trying to regain the bobble.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

BamaNation All-American CrimsonForce's Avatar
    My Mood
    Cool on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    Did the referee identify the ND player? There was the gunner Belue was blocking and another ND player. Wonder if the second guy was the guilty party. He interfered with Jones trying to regain the bobble.
    Thats why I thought it was called. I think CJ had a right to the ball until it hit the ground.

BamaNation First Team Rolltide_PA's Avatar
    My Mood
    Fine on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by JeffAtlanta View Post
    Can you cite an example? Especially one where it resulted in a turnover as was ignored?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jdyRx-7lrs

rainey's from last year vs barn

i know i'd have been livid if we got a kick catch interference called like that. of course any ND fan that would say this is the reason they lost is oblivious to reality but just didn't like the call is all. as i mentioned though it is allowed to be called to the letter of the law but i really don't see how the ND player affected Jones' ability to catch the ball.

BamaNation Hall of Fame deliveryman35's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

I think it could have gone either way, since it appeared that the ND player may have been pushed into him--but regardless it would not have changed the outcome of the game.
    "Football is a hard game. These spread coaches forget that. Until good defenses remind them." Gene Stallings

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Rolltide_PA View Post
    rainey's from last year vs barn
    That was last year when the rules were different. The halo rule was no longer in place in 2011. It was reinstated in 2012.

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonForce View Post
    Thats why I thought it was called. I think CJ had a right to the ball until it hit the ground.
    I think you are correct. Here is a quote from Mack Brown before the season that agrees with your understanding of the new rule...

Brown also took issue with the new, re-instituted halo rule that requires players to provide a one-yard buffer zone in front of players returning punts.

"Now, if [a defender is] covering me and I'm returning the punt and I bobble it and go toward him and he's within a yard of me and doesn't touch me ... it's a 15yard penalty," Brown said. "I really hope that we'll relook at some of those things and try to make a difference."

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    We could have given them the ball on our five yard line and I don't think it would have mattered. Their defense was completely over matched by our entire offense. All we would have had to do was stop their offense one time and the game would have been over at that point. Their defense was simply no match for our offense.
    ...and lets add that their offense was no match for our defense, or their special teams was no match for our special teams, their coaching was no match for our coaching, etc, etc, and on and on...

it was as much of a mismatch as you can ever see in a BCS championship game.

BamaNation First Team Rolltide_PA's Avatar
    My Mood
    Fine on TideFans.com

ah, gotcha. i believe the first thing brent said on the play was "hey, we don't have the halo rule any longer" but guess it got reinstated this year...wow, don't remember halo rule for like 10 years.

looking at rule now...1 yard in front and/or shoulder-width on side of receiving player.

i stand corrected...100% correct call (still wouldn't want that called against us)

BamaNation All-American B1GTide's Avatar
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

As a fan, if that call goes against your team, you are angry. I get it. But in a game in which one team was completely owned by the other you just let it go.

BamaNation All-American colbysullivan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rolltide_PA View Post
    ah, gotcha. i believe the first thing brent said on the play was "hey, we don't have the halo rule any longer" but guess it got reinstated this year...wow, don't remember halo rule for like 10 years.

looking at rule now...1 yard in front and/or shoulder-width on side of receiving player.

i stand corrected...100% correct call (still wouldn't want that called against us)
    yeah I remember the rule getting reinstated this year. I was watching the game with a room full of Bama fans who kept saying, "Wow that's a bad call". I kept telling them the Halo rule was back and this was the right call.

BamaNation First Team Rattlehead82's Avatar
    My Mood
    Lurking on TideFans.com

If they're going to cry about that flag, then they need to cry about that roughing the passer they called on us which gave ND their first TD. He barely touched Golson.