Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    BamaNation All-SEC

Re: Thoughts on 2013's Defense.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonForce View Post
    I think Hubbard and Pagan will have huge years. Obviously CJ will as well. I look for landon collins to start making a name for himself as well. Only area of slight concern to me is cornerback. Im guessing our starters will be belue and geno smith. After that not sure what kind of depth we have. Maybe fulton? Should be a great overall defensive unit.
    overall, the defense will be better than this years i think...a lot of younger players got good experience this season, and that will show up next year.
    5excited to see Landon Collins get some playing time, and geno Smith and John Fulton along with deion belue will be solid at the corners. add in vinnie sunseri, haha, the young defensive linemen and our lb's...i look for a very sound defense again.

our offense will be great if the offensive line develops quickly to replace three starters....the skill positions will be sick, off the charts good with 5Chris 5Black coming back from injury, jalston fowler and dee hart,...add in kenyon drake, robert foster, and the mix of experienced role players....just shudder about the possibilities...

can you tell im already excited about our chances next season...

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American B1GTide's Avatar
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

First, you guys have won 3 of the last 4 BCS championships without a great pass rush, so I am not sure why you are so concerned about this. That said, the 3/4 defense is designed to stop the run (works, right? ) and, on passing downs, get pressure on the QB by collapsing the pocket - by having a NG and DT who are capable of pushing the center and guards back into the QB. Not sure that you have that kind of player on this team (or in the incoming recruiting class). Most of your sacks come off the edge and are a result of a blitz. That probably isn't going to change in 2013. But that isn't going to limit your success.

BamaNation All-American IMALOYAL1's Avatar
    My Mood
    Fine on TideFans.com

Pagan and Hubbard are gonna be stars. Next years Defense has a chance to be better than this year and should. We need a corner-back to step up, but it just looks like an overall improvement at almost every position.

There are some young players waiting in the wings on defense. Korren Kirven, Davlin Tomlinson Darren Lake Reggie Ragland not to mention Landon Collins and Denzel Devall.

Just incredible how Saban keeps improving on championship teams.

BamaNation All-American Bama-94-00's Avatar

Returning starters

Front: DE Stinson, OLB Hubbard, MLB Mosley, MLB Depreist, Jack LB Dickson

Backfield: CB Belue, S Clinton-Dix, Nickel/Dime Sunsersi, Nickel G. Smith

I expect Ivory to move into the starting NG spot, and Smith to move into a starting CB spot. Not sure who will end up replacing Lester at Safety.

There was a thread on 2013 Depth chart right before Christmas here, also.
    RTR!

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    First, you guys have won 3 of the last 4 BCS championships without a great pass rush, so I am not sure why you are so concerned about this.
    Upshaw was able to able to put pressure on the passer pretty reliably.

The reason why many are more concerned now is that teams are starting to adopt LSU's strategy of going max protect and picking the secondary apart. In situations like that, a very good pash rusher would be able to disrupt the pocket enough to defeat the strategy. The LSU & UGA games would not have been as close with an Upshaw level pass rusher.
    Last edited by JeffAtlanta; January 8th, 2013 at 03:21 PM.

BamaNation First Team
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

what about johnathan allen. will he be a starter
    “There's not too much to say. Alabama thoroughly beat us. They are a better team. They were coached better, they played better, and they looked like they will have a big season. They have a heck of a team.”
    Steve Spurrier

BamaNation Hall of Fame bamachile's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Ivory is the key variable up front to me, although I'm not overly concerned - he's come along well to this point. Ha Ha and DePriest should do well. I'm always worried about DB's, but no more for 2013 than usual. In general, it looks pretty good. Fanning, Ragland, Lake, and Allen are names I would like to hear more from.
    “Louisiana is a fresh-air mental asylum.”
    ― James Lee Burke, Pegasus Descending

BamaNation First Team
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Sorry, somehow posted in wrong thread.
    Last edited by rolltide7854; January 8th, 2013 at 05:53 PM.

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

My question will be on the defensive line. I like what I've seen out of Pagan and, and everyone seems to be very high on Ivory so I'll be interested to see how we are. Linebackers could be the best corp we had in a very long time with Hubbard, DePriest, Mosely, and everyone else coming back, so I expect great things out of them. I think the secondary will be very good, and a lot better than everyone thinks. HaHa, Collins, Sunseri, and Williams will be an incredible tandem at safety, Geno Smith will be a lockdown corner, and I expect to see massive improvements from Belue. We will be very young at the secondary, and not particularly deep at corner, but I think they will still be very formidable. I've said all season long that next years team would be better than this team, and especially now that Mosley is coming back I think it will be even better. I am a little worried about our overall depth if we get the injury bug, but this will be an extremely talented squad.

BamaNation Hall of Fame bamacon's Avatar

Thoughts on 2013's Defense.

Quote Originally Posted by runtheoption22 View Post
    Lake will have to play, and spring will determine how much he has improved.
    Darren was real raw if I'm not mistaken but the dude is a BEAST if he can put it all together. He'd be a handful on the line.

The defense will be better--faster and more seasoned...I predict we will give up about 8 pts per game...
    "The greatest evil in the world is not 'not knowing;' it is not knowing that you do not know." Alfred North Whitehead

BamaNation First Team
    My Mood
    Busy on TideFans.com

Anyone think Fulton could jump Belue given the inconsistency at corner this year?

Suspended

Move an OLB to DE and put Vinnie at OLB.