Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: Thoughts on 2013's Defense.

Quote Originally Posted by bodiddle View Post
    Is D. Ball large enough to get a look at NG?
    I forgot about Dakota...anyone know how he is progressing?
    "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present."

Oogway, Kung Fu Panda

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation First Team Snuffy Smith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Thoughts on 2013's Defense.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBama76 View Post
    Had we had one or two guys near the pass rushing ability of a Clowney, Porter or Montgomery our defense would have been better than last year. I don't know who steps up or if we find one via JUCO but it's the most important defensive issue we have.

ND had 270 yds in passing and virtually every one of the pass plays our secondary had about as good a coverage as you can have short of interference. An effective pass rush could have cut that total in half.
    This is what gets me when they say our secondary is suspect. Our lack of a pass rush this year has put our secondary in tough coverage situations.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Padreruf View Post
    Our secondary could be so good that VS only sees the field in nickel and dime situations.
    Let's hope so.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

BamaNation All-American
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by TideFan in AU View Post
    I think Pettway is going to be a pass rushing force sooner than later. He had a sack last night, and has been extremely quick off the ball all year when he's gotten the opportunity. He finished the year with 3.5 sacks in very limited duty.
    I really like Pettway he seems to be incredibly quick and just really have the knack for getting to the passer. Against Mississippi St. on the goaline he is the one who forced the throw that Lester intercepted. That play really made me say wow. He also was the first guy to make contact on the critical 4th down stop we had late against LSU. He has had pretty good big play production in limited time. I would guess that consistency in doing his job on all plays is his biggest issue before he becomes a full time starter.

I also like Devall he really showed some good pass rush ability to me at times throughout the year.

I hope Hubbard improves because he has tons of ability, but a lot of times to me he just seems slow or not that aggresive (he also seemed to be the bionic man this year with elbow and legs wraps growing in size throughout the season). Maybe I'm wrong but he has rarely made the big plays I think we need out of that position. I would not be surprised if he is pushed hard by others at least on pass rushing downs.

I'm really not too worried about the LB's and secondary I think we have plenty of talent there to get the job done. The biggest question for me on the defense is how all the young DL we have on the team that have been waiting for an opportunity take advantage of the available playing time.

BamaNation All-American
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    First, you guys have won 3 of the last 4 BCS championships without a great pass rush, so I am not sure why you are so concerned about this. That said, the 3/4 defense is designed to stop the run (works, right? ) and, on passing downs, get pressure on the QB by collapsing the pocket - by having a NG and DT who are capable of pushing the center and guards back into the QB. Not sure that you have that kind of player on this team (or in the incoming recruiting class). Most of your sacks come off the edge and are a result of a blitz. That probably isn't going to change in 2013. But that isn't going to limit your success.
    We finished tied for 16th in the country for sacks. We were only 3 sacks away from being in the top 10. So honestly we aren't that far off from having a great pass rush. I think what people are more looking for is that one player to step up that really causes headaches for the defense like we had with Upshaw. Most people think that we have the potential among some of the younger guys to have a little bit better pass rush.

Plenty of 3-4 teams in the NFL rush the passer in a dominant way. There is no reason to think that we aren't capable of doing the same with the right mix of players.

Post Thanks / Like

Big questions for the '13 D:

1. Can Ivory/Lake/player X give us what we need at NG?

2. Can we develop at least 3 (preferably 4) CBs we can really count on?

3. Can someone (Landon Collins?) improve our coverage ability at safety?

I see our DEs and LBs as good to go, with our pash rush seeing at least some improvement with Pagan, Devall and Pettway getting more seasoning and more snaps.

BamaNation Second Team smohabbat's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    I've been thinking Pagan takes SDE, where do you think Pettway ends up? Wins SDE or takes WDE from Stinson?
    I think Pettway ends up winning it from Pagan honestly and Stinson keeps his spot for the start of the season at least.
    Alabama Crimson Tide

BamaNation Second Team smohabbat's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bonehouse81 View Post

1. Can Ivory/Lake/player X give us what we need at NG?

3. Can someone (Landon Collins?) improve our coverage ability at safety?

I see our DEs and LBs as good to go, with our pash rush seeing at least some improvement with Pagan, Devall and Pettway getting more seasoning and more snaps.

HaHa is a great safety and outplayed Sunseri the whole year despite the fact Sunseri saw significant time on defense his freshman year unlike HaHa. Collins needs to and is going to replace Sunseri or without a doubt Collins is going to transfer. he's too talented to be playing strictly on ST. Sunseri can be worked into dime packages and blitzing 3rd downs. He should be the captain of our ST unit too.
    Alabama Crimson Tide

BamaNation All-American
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smohabbat View Post
    HaHa is a great safety and outplayed Sunseri the whole year despite the fact Sunseri saw significant time on defense his freshman year unlike HaHa. Collins needs to and is going to replace Sunseri or without a doubt Collins is going to transfer. he's too talented to be playing strictly on ST. Sunseri can be worked into dime packages and blitzing 3rd downs. He should be the captain of our ST unit too.
    There's talent, and there's figuring out the playbook. Every year at Alabama, we're reminded about the distance between the two in the back lines of the defense.

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

defense will be much more seasoned. alot of returning guys with experience. fanning is somone to watch. i dont worry too much about the secondary, they took their lumps this year and will be much improved next year. everyone we lose we will fill with a player that has seen a good amount of pt already. this defense will be great. better than this years. injuries always play a part but as of now they will be great. tomlinson was going to contribute this year and will next. haha made major strides. this defense will be studly. not counting any incoming freshmen who could contribute. one of sabans defenses when its all said and done.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Landon Collins clearly has ability...he's been a big-time special teams guy this year. HaHa couldn't see the field in 2011, Barron couldn't see the field in 2008. They played on special teams and that was it. I think Collins is going to challenge for Lester's former spot. I haven't been that impressed with Perry, so the possibility is there for him.

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

off topic but equally as important...is fluker announcing today?

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by bonehouse81 View Post

The top 3 DBs for 2013 look to be Belue, Fulton, and Smith. Belue and Fulton enter their senior year of college with a pretty nice amount of experience. I've noticed with the Bama secondary a player only gets better from playing in it. Nick Perry said it himself during the week of the Arkansas game. These guys only learn the system by actually playing it and not just constantly looking at the playbook or game film.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!