Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: Thoughts on 2013's Defense.

Quote Originally Posted by ohiotide14 View Post
    off topic but equally as important...is fluker announcing today?
    Yes, from what I heard after the title game.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    Yes, from what I heard after the title game.
    One of his quotes after the game was in the past tense. I think most new he was gone but that quote made me think it was a done deal.

We usually have a presser where they all announce, are they not doing that this year?

Quote Originally Posted by smohabbat View Post
    HaHa is a great safety and outplayed Sunseri the whole year despite the fact Sunseri saw significant time on defense his freshman year unlike HaHa. Collins needs to and is going to replace Sunseri or without a doubt Collins is going to transfer. he's too talented to be playing strictly on ST. Sunseri can be worked into dime packages and blitzing 3rd downs. He should be the captain of our ST unit too.
    HaHa made a lot of progress as the year unfolded. However, it seems like he tends to either misjudge balls in the air or is a little slow to break on the ball. Hopefully he can continue to improve his ball skills, though it's been said that a lot of playing the ball in the air is natural -- you either have it or you don't. I'd like to see him put on a few more pounds as well.

I'm hopeful Collins can give a huge boost to our athleticism/man-to-man coverage ability at safety. Lester/Perry/Sunseri were all able to be picked on when matched up in man.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I think sometimes HaHa has thought he could undercut the receiver for an interception when a simple tackle or contest was the best play. He's got natural ability but perhaps he's a little overconfident at times. He was all over the field Monday and demonstrated the kind of player he could be. It's no small thing that he played his best two games in two championships.

HaHa and Geno gave the secondary a big lift down the stretch after the troubles in early November.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by bonehouse81 View Post
    HaHa made a lot of progress as the year unfolded. However, it seems like he tends to either misjudge balls in the air or is a little slow to break on the ball. Hopefully he can continue to improve his ball skills, though it's been said that a lot of playing the ball in the air is natural -- you either have it or you don't. I'd like to see him put on a few more pounds as well.

I'm hopeful Collins can give a huge boost to our athleticism/man-to-man coverage ability at safety. Lester/Perry/Sunseri were all able to be picked on when matched up in man.
    Very few safeties are passable in man coverage situations. I just hope he can bring an enforcer mentality back to the safety spot we lost with Barron. If we can lock down something steady at the 3rd corner spot, I expect that we will see less safety on receiver stuff in 2013.

BamaNation First Team

NT is the position I am most concerned about. I noticed a dropoff when Ivory came in. Hopefully Lake can make a big jump in his second year. We must have a dominant NT to stop the run. I am a little surprised we are not going after a JUCO to fill the need for at least competition here. I hate to say it, but AU just picked up a good looking JUCO NT type player and I watched his tape. Looked very good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    Very few safeties are passable in man coverage situations. I just hope he can bring an enforcer mentality back to the safety spot we lost with Barron. If we can lock down something steady at the 3rd corner spot, I expect that we will see less safety on receiver stuff in 2013.
    Yeah, it's easy to get spoiled after watching Barron be the total package at safety for three years. I really like the way HaHa developed after not really playing at all his freshman year. I expect his upward arc to continue, to the point where he'll have a decision to make regarding the NFL after next season.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Personally, I thought Ivory handled NT very well this season. I feel good about what we have in Pettway, Pagan, and Ivory. Stinson will be the veteran of the front but I think Pagan and Pettway will get A LOT of snaps. One of them will start and the other is going to spell in quite a bit. Potentially, we could see a more effective push from the DEs next season. The LBs will end up making most of the sacks but a good pocket pinch can't be underrated in this scheme.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamaglory View Post
    NT is the position I am most concerned about. I noticed a dropoff when Ivory came in. Hopefully Lake can make a big jump in his second year. We must have a dominant NT to stop the run. I am a little surprised we are not going after a JUCO to fill the need for at least competition here. I hate to say it, but AU just picked up a good looking JUCO NT type player and I watched his tape. Looked very good to me.
    I agree. As important at NT is, you'd think we'd make absolutely sure to have no fewer than two reliable guys on the roster at all times, and no fewer than three bodies at the position at any time.

Lake isn't one of those guys right now, but he could be next season. And who else is there? I don't think Ball's that big right now, and might not ever be.

BamaNation Second Team
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

This is for next years team.

Bama 2013 Offense.

Here is what I am seeing for next year.
    What I feel good about. I think our OLINE will be fine. Even if I am wrong about 1 or 2 guys, there are guys on the roster thatís been thru offseason workouts and spring ball. They will gel and be ready for Va Tech and then a week off to improve before the showdown with Jonny football.

Receivers are experienced and talented. They have some great depth.

Running backs should I say any more, wow unbelievable on what has gone on here since 2008.

HB and TE. This is what bothers me. Yes I saw where Volger was more involved and Jones played a little but this could be a problem. We need that flex person at HB with the traditional big TE.

RT C Kourandjio
    LT Brown, Shepard
    G A Steen
    G A Kourandjio, A Taylor?
    C R Kelly
    QB AJ McCarron
    RB TJ Yeldon, , Drake, Hart?, Henry, A Tenpenny
    WRX A Cooper, White
    WRZ K Norwood, Bell
    WRH C Jones, C Black, Shinn
    TE B Vogler, M Ficane
    TE/H Fowler, O Howard : Who can fill Smelleys shoes at this position. We missed him in at least 3 games this past season. There are options here. Who knew Kelly Johnson would start, I sure did not.

Bama 2013 Defense

The strength of this D will be the back 4 plus the Star. At safety there is depth and talent.
    For linebacker, having CJ return is simply awesome. Plus there are some young guys that will make some noise.

Dlineman are very young. Ivory came on this season and should be the guy next season unless one of the young guys steps up. D Lake, Ball or Paige at NG.

CB J Fulton
    CB D Belue
    CB G Smith
    FS H Clinton Dix, N Perry
    SS V Sunseri, L Collins, J Williams
    Mike T DePriest
    WILL CJ or R Ragland
    Jack X Dickson, D Devall
    SAM A Hubbard, J Atchison
    DE E Stinson, Pettway,
    DE J Pagan, K Kirven
    NG B Ivory, D Lake

I did not go over special teams. But if someone wants to look at that I am sure no one would complain.

The good news is the guys on the roster and EEs will have 30 + plus practices before Va Tech. . Mix that with offseason workouts and Va Tech better fasten their chin straps a little tighter. Then offseason for Coach to go over the no huddle, Jonny Football, canít wait people!!!!

April is just around the corner to see who is where and the Spring game should be awesome!!
    Roll Tide and enjoy the ride
    Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
    - General George Patton

BamaNation First Team

What about Bradley Sylve? I haven't heard much about him. He is certainly one of the fastest players on the team.

Suspended

I thought Clinton-Dix deserved the defensive MVP on Monday. If he plays to that standard - and keeps on improving - then he's a legit All-American candidate next year. Our secondary could really do with him stepping up and taking on a leadership role too.

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Howard View Post
    I thought Clinton-Dix deserved the defensive MVP on Monday. If he plays to that standard - and keeps on improving - then he's a legit All-American candidate next year. Our secondary could really do with him stepping up and taking on a leadership role too.
    Yeah, he and Geno got better as the season went on. With the spring and summer programs they'll only get better.