Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Re: Thoughts on 2013's Defense.

I think looking at the BCSCG to see where our defense is headed into next year can be very misleading. Our secondary still concerns me heading into next year because we face much better talent than ND week in and out. Just because our secondary looked pretty strong in that game doesn't really tell us anything. That game is really a statistical outlier and should be removed from the equation.

2. Advertisement
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dallas4Bama View Post
    I think looking at the BCSCG to see where our defense is headed into next year can be very misleading. Our secondary still concerns me heading into next year because we face much better talent than ND week in and out. Just because our secondary looked pretty strong in that game doesn't really tell us anything. That game is really a statistical outlier and should be removed from the equation.
    I may be looking through some thick crimson glasses, but I don't see much of a problem with the 2013 secondary.

Top 3 CBs bring plenty of experience:
    Fulton
    Belue
    Smith

Safeties will have plenty of experience all throughout the depth chart.
    HaHa
    Collins
    Sunseri
    Perry
    Jarrick Williams
    Eddie Williams

CNS admitted late in the season that he wishes he played Geno Smith more earlier in the season. For that reason, I expect to see some of the younger DBs play as much as possible in the blowouts.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    I may be looking through some thick crimson glasses, but I don't see much of a problem with the 2013 secondary.

Top 3 CBs bring plenty of experience:
    Fulton
    Belue
    Smith

Safeties will have plenty of experience all throughout the depth chart.
    HaHa
    Collins
    Sunseri
    Perry
    Jarrick Williams
    Eddie Williams

CNS admitted late in the season that he wishes he played Geno Smith more earlier in the season. For that reason, I expect to see some of the younger DBs play as much as possible in the blowouts.
    i agree about the secondary. we have some guys coming back with a lot of experience. i've never seen a DB under Saban that didnt improve the next year.

BamaNation All-SEC

I think DB has more upside the JF, but another year with CNS will help them both, as will it for GS, who may have more upside than both of them. Certainly has more time to learn. We need help there. NG is the position I worry about. BI seemed serviceable and got good experience, but replacing JW is a big order for anyone and key for our defense. As we go at NG, so goes our defense. Very comfortable with ES at one end. The other side, well, that's what spring practice is for. I also hope for good things from LF. He certainly has the physical tools plus another winter with SC. Wish these guys had time to be a little more seasoned before we go to College Station, but it is what it is.
    Roll Tide

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Thoughts on 2013's Defense.

We'll be fine!

Sent from Jay's iPhone via Tapatalk
    ROLL TIDE!

BamaNation First Team
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I think most people are hyping the evening we have with johnny football up too much. You forget that we had one week to prepare for them last year, and coming off an emotional game with LSU. This time we will have a whole offseason, a game against a mobile qb oriented offense against VT, and a full week off before we travel to College Station. I think Revenge is a "Saban" and our new SEC brethren are going to learn that. Plus with the weapons Manziel is losing and the people we get back gives us an advantage.
    “There's not too much to say. Alabama thoroughly beat us. They are a better team. They were coached better, they played better, and they looked like they will have a big season. They have a heck of a team.”
    Steve Spurrier

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by Dallas4Bama View Post
    I don't think the 2012 secondary was weak, I think the pass rush was the weak link. Covering receivers is one of the most difficult tasks in football. You can't do it well when receivers are able to run around while the QB patiently waits for them to get open.

We fix that issue, we have another dominate defense.

BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    I think most people are hyping the evening we have with johnny football up too much. You forget that we had one week to prepare for them last year, and coming off an emotional game with LSU. This time we will have a whole offseason, a game against a mobile qb oriented offense against VT, and a full week off before we travel to College Station. I think Revenge is a "Saban" and our new SEC brethren are going to learn that. Plus with the weapons Manziel is losing and the people we get back gives us an advantage.
    I expect we won't spot them 21 points this next year. We took them lightly, and played our worst game, and lost. I don't count the moral victories like we came back and nearly won. No excuses. They had time to prepare for us. They did. That loss woke up our players and coaches.

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by BigBama76 View Post
    I don't think the 2012 secondary was weak, I think the pass rush was the weak link. Covering receivers is one of the most difficult tasks in football. You can't do it well when receivers are able to run around while the QB patiently waits for them to get open.

We fix that issue, we have another dominate defense.
    I keep hearing pass rush was weak link but we led the SEC in sacks on 3rd downs when everybody knows you are passing and if IIRC we were 3rd overall in sacks. I thought we effected the QB a lot also so I am not one buying the pass rush was weak. We did not have a Clowney but who does.

#1 defense in college football the past 2 seasons with a good shot at being the #1 defense next season. That is my thought on the 2013's defense.

BamaNation All-SEC tidefan39817's Avatar
    My Mood
    Persnickety on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by TiderJ View Post
    I keep hearing pass rush was weak link but we led the SEC in sacks on 3rd downs when everybody knows you are passing and if IIRC we were 3rd overall in sacks. I thought we effected the QB a lot also so I am not one buying the pass rush was weak. We did not have a Clowney but who does.
    South Carolina.....
    the problem i see with the A&M game is that the defense tried to get to "cute" to "situational" Coach has said something to that fact. there were only a few plays where the Dline broke contain and let Manziel be "Manziel" not taking anything away from the kid, but like many have pointed out on this thread. The team was coming off a monster game at LSU and they caught us at the right time.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Alasippi's Avatar

I think the entire team will be better next year than this year every year from now on. The snow ball has started rolling and it ain't stopping any time soon.

BamaNation Hall of Fame GulfCoastTider's Avatar
    My Mood
    Ornery on TideFans.com

I didn't read the whole thread, but against Johnny Football and other up-tempo teams, I think we'll see a lot more five man rushes and nickel/dime packages. I believe our defensive minds learned something from that game and I have learned not to underestimate this staff's ability to learn and adjust. They're really good at it.
    “Lamar Thomas has got it, he's on his way down the sidelines... George Teague runs him down! He took the ball away!!! HE'S GOT THE BALL!!!"

Thread deleted by SavannahDare
    Reason: Dude! Coach Saban would sooner die than tweet.