Thoughts on 2013's Defense.

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
I may be looking through some thick crimson glasses, but I don't see much of a problem with the 2013 secondary.

Top 3 CBs bring plenty of experience:
Fulton
Belue
Smith

Safeties will have plenty of experience all throughout the depth chart.
HaHa
Collins
Sunseri
Perry
Jarrick Williams
Eddie Williams

CNS admitted late in the season that he wishes he played Geno Smith more earlier in the season. For that reason, I expect to see some of the younger DBs play as much as possible in the blowouts.
i agree about the secondary. we have some guys coming back with a lot of experience. i've never seen a DB under Saban that didnt improve the next year.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
I think DB has more upside the JF, but another year with CNS will help them both, as will it for GS, who may have more upside than both of them. Certainly has more time to learn. We need help there. NG is the position I worry about. BI seemed serviceable and got good experience, but replacing JW is a big order for anyone and key for our defense. As we go at NG, so goes our defense. Very comfortable with ES at one end. The other side, well, that's what spring practice is for. I also hope for good things from LF. He certainly has the physical tools plus another winter with SC. Wish these guys had time to be a little more seasoned before we go to College Station, but it is what it is.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I think most people are hyping the evening we have with johnny football up too much. You forget that we had one week to prepare for them last year, and coming off an emotional game with LSU. This time we will have a whole offseason, a game against a mobile qb oriented offense against VT, and a full week off before we travel to College Station. I think Revenge is a "Saban" and our new SEC brethren are going to learn that. Plus with the weapons Manziel is losing and the people we get back gives us an advantage.

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I think looking at the BCSCG to see where our defense is headed into next year can be very misleading. Our secondary still concerns me heading into next year because we face much better talent than ND week in and out. Just because our secondary looked pretty strong in that game doesn't really tell us anything. That game is really a statistical outlier and should be removed from the equation.
I don't think the 2012 secondary was weak, I think the pass rush was the weak link. Covering receivers is one of the most difficult tasks in football. You can't do it well when receivers are able to run around while the QB patiently waits for them to get open.

We fix that issue, we have another dominate defense.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I think most people are hyping the evening we have with johnny football up too much. You forget that we had one week to prepare for them last year, and coming off an emotional game with LSU. This time we will have a whole offseason, a game against a mobile qb oriented offense against VT, and a full week off before we travel to College Station. I think Revenge is a "Saban" and our new SEC brethren are going to learn that. Plus with the weapons Manziel is losing and the people we get back gives us an advantage.
I expect we won't spot them 21 points this next year. We took them lightly, and played our worst game, and lost. I don't count the moral victories like we came back and nearly won. No excuses. They had time to prepare for us. They did. That loss woke up our players and coaches.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I don't think the 2012 secondary was weak, I think the pass rush was the weak link. Covering receivers is one of the most difficult tasks in football. You can't do it well when receivers are able to run around while the QB patiently waits for them to get open.

We fix that issue, we have another dominate defense.
I keep hearing pass rush was weak link but we led the SEC in sacks on 3rd downs when everybody knows you are passing and if IIRC we were 3rd overall in sacks. I thought we effected the QB a lot also so I am not one buying the pass rush was weak. We did not have a Clowney but who does.

tidefan39817

All-American
Jan 17, 2006
Bainbridge, Georgia
I keep hearing pass rush was weak link but we led the SEC in sacks on 3rd downs when everybody knows you are passing and if IIRC we were 3rd overall in sacks. I thought we effected the QB a lot also so I am not one buying the pass rush was weak. We did not have a Clowney but who does.
South Carolina.....
the problem i see with the A&M game is that the defense tried to get to "cute" to "situational" Coach has said something to that fact. there were only a few plays where the Dline broke contain and let Manziel be "Manziel" not taking anything away from the kid, but like many have pointed out on this thread. The team was coming off a monster game at LSU and they caught us at the right time.

GulfCoastTider

Hall of Fame
I didn't read the whole thread, but against Johnny Football and other up-tempo teams, I think we'll see a lot more five man rushes and nickel/dime packages. I believe our defensive minds learned something from that game and I have learned not to underestimate this staff's ability to learn and adjust. They're really good at it.

AustinTider

Scout Team
Sep 26, 2006
Austin, Texas
In 2008 our defense was a little off the championship level of play
2009 the defense was lights out
2010 the defense gave up some ground
2011 the defense was the nations best
2012 the defense was good but not as good as 2011
2013 the defense will be lights out!! Book it.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
I think we'll be good.

Deep, fast, and vicious.

Game experience aplenty.

Sounds good to me.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
In 2008 our defense was a little off the championship level of play
2009 the defense was lights out
2010 the defense gave up some ground
2011 the defense was the nations best
2012 the defense was good but not as good as 2011
2013 the defense will be lights out!! Book it.
IMO, the 2011 was the greatest college defense of all time. It has not usually gotten the credit it deserves. That team has not. Because of the loss it does not have the status it deserves.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
IMO, the 2011 was the greatest college defense of all time. It has not usually gotten the credit it deserves. That team has not. Because of the loss it does not have the status it deserves.
I'm not sure I could go quite that far. But, the 2011 LSU team was one of the best in the past few years. Alabama's defense against them in the championship game was the best defense I've ever seen in a championship game, that's for sure.

A little like the Notre Dame game, rather than give Alabama full credit, people wanted to blame LSU. No, it wasn't the quarterback, it was the Alabama defense.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
i agree about the secondary. we have some guys coming back with a lot of experience. i've never seen a DB under Saban that didnt improve the next year.
^^^^^
This.

Last year Dee Milliner didn't even start. This year he will be the first corner off the board as a Junior.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rammerjammer69

Scout Team
Apr 28, 2009
I think we're ok in the secondary. We have a lot of great players and the best secondary coach in the country. Saban will get things ironed out in spring and fall practice.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the DL. Dial and Square were consistent protype DEs in our system. They didn't miss many assignments which is critical and probably why they started. But Pettway and Pagan likely have a bigger upside in terms of athletic ability. The key will be how they develop to consistently bring it every play. Stinson has played a lot and could start but will get PT regardless. Hopefully the light comes on for Dink-that kid could be a monster if he can work on his technique and be consistent. Word is Tomlinson has looked very good and could be in the mix. DT doesn't concern me as much as we are in nickel and dime about 75% of the time with seemingly everyone running some form of spread against us. Ivory played well, but Lake's development is key-We do need a big run stuffer in the middle against LSU and teams with power running attacks. Overall there is a lot of talent on the DL but new guys are going to have to step up early.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.