Thoughts on 2013's Defense.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I think Hubbard and Pagan will have huge years. Obviously CJ will as well. I look for landon collins to start making a name for himself as well. Only area of slight concern to me is cornerback. Im guessing our starters will be belue and geno smith. After that not sure what kind of depth we have. Maybe fulton? Should be a great overall defensive unit.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Devall, Dickson, Hubbard, and Mosley will all be great next year.

Pagan and Ivory have shown plenty of potential this year.

Belue and Geno will be solid CBs. HaHa and Collins will be good starters with experienced backups in Perry, Vinnie and Jarrick Williams.

Rolltide_PA

1st Team
Jul 31, 2011
looking forward to the emergence of ryan anderson assuming he's not permanently in the Saban doghouse

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
So Stinson and Pagan would be on the D line as the down three?
Yes....

I also think Fanning and Pettway will log significant time. Anxious to see Tomlinson and Kirven off of RSs.

Lake will have to play, and spring will determine how much he has improved.

Dickson will challenge for time at Jack and at end in passing situations.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
I think Hubbard and Pagan will have huge years. Obviously CJ will as well. I look for landon collins to start making a name for himself as well. Only area of slight concern to me is cornerback. Im guessing our starters will be belue and geno smith. After that not sure what kind of depth we have. Maybe fulton? Should be a great overall defensive unit.
overall, the defense will be better than this years i think...a lot of younger players got good experience this season, and that will show up next year.
5excited to see Landon Collins get some playing time, and geno Smith and John Fulton along with deion belue will be solid at the corners. add in vinnie sunseri, haha, the young defensive linemen and our lb's...i look for a very sound defense again.

our offense will be great if the offensive line develops quickly to replace three starters....the skill positions will be sick, off the charts good with 5Chris 5Black coming back from injury, jalston fowler and dee hart,...add in kenyon drake, robert foster, and the mix of experienced role players....just shudder about the possibilities...

can you tell im already excited about our chances next season...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
First, you guys have won 3 of the last 4 BCS championships without a great pass rush, so I am not sure why you are so concerned about this. That said, the 3/4 defense is designed to stop the run (works, right? :wink:) and, on passing downs, get pressure on the QB by collapsing the pocket - by having a NG and DT who are capable of pushing the center and guards back into the QB. Not sure that you have that kind of player on this team (or in the incoming recruiting class). Most of your sacks come off the edge and are a result of a blitz. That probably isn't going to change in 2013. But that isn't going to limit your success.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
Pagan and Hubbard are gonna be stars. Next years Defense has a chance to be better than this year and should. We need a corner-back to step up, but it just looks like an overall improvement at almost every position.

There are some young players waiting in the wings on defense. Korren Kirven, Davlin Tomlinson Darren Lake Reggie Ragland not to mention Landon Collins and Denzel Devall.

Just incredible how Saban keeps improving on championship teams.

Bama-94-00

All-American
Nov 1, 2004
Huntsville/Madison, AL area
Returning starters

Front: DE Stinson, OLB Hubbard, MLB Mosley, MLB Depreist, Jack LB Dickson

Backfield: CB Belue, S Clinton-Dix, Nickel/Dime Sunsersi, Nickel G. Smith

I expect Ivory to move into the starting NG spot, and Smith to move into a starting CB spot. Not sure who will end up replacing Lester at Safety.

There was a thread on 2013 Depth chart right before Christmas here, also.

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
First, you guys have won 3 of the last 4 BCS championships without a great pass rush, so I am not sure why you are so concerned about this.
Upshaw was able to able to put pressure on the passer pretty reliably.

The reason why many are more concerned now is that teams are starting to adopt LSU's strategy of going max protect and picking the secondary apart. In situations like that, a very good pash rusher would be able to disrupt the pocket enough to defeat the strategy. The LSU & UGA games would not have been as close with an Upshaw level pass rusher.

Last edited:

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
Ivory is the key variable up front to me, although I'm not overly concerned - he's come along well to this point. Ha Ha and DePriest should do well. I'm always worried about DB's, but no more for 2013 than usual. In general, it looks pretty good. Fanning, Ragland, Lake, and Allen are names I would like to hear more from.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.