Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar
    My Mood
    Bookworm on TideFans.com

Re: Could not believe the words that were coming out of his mouth (Coach Kelly)

I guess I just see it different than most - I thought it was funny but not a disaster. I wish our elected officials would use that much candor about some things ("I don't really know how I voted for that, but the money they gave me bought a nice new house").

Plus - if you look at the ENTIRE INTERVIEW he makes the point that they will have to come back and get back into it to "have a chance to win." The one thing I had a bigger problem with - and to be fair, I don't think Kelly did this with malice aforethought - was when you say something like "not tackling," it sounds like you're blaming the players. It was honest, but that one comment could bite him.
    I'll always look back as I walk away
    This memory will last for eternity
    And all of our tears will be lost in the rain
    Til I find my way back to your arms again
    But until that day you know you are
    The queen of my heart

2. Advertisement

I would think the ND coaching staff would have watched enough film to know what they were dealing with.

I admit I was surprised by the comment. He was looking pretty shell shocked by then. I think he never thought Alabama was really that good.
    Crystal footballs are multiplying like bunnies at Bama.

The part that was the most intriguing to me was when he said " we are not tackling, and I know why". The " i know why " part is what was interesting. Almost like the team did not practice live tackling during the lay off and he may have had an disagreement with another coach about whether or not they should go full speed and practice tackling more. Who knows, but it caught my attention.

Didn't he also say, "The team with the most mistakes will win"? So not surprising, but nothing I would want my coach to say.
    Roll Tide

Quote Originally Posted by TideMom2Boys View Post
    Didn't he also say, "The team with the most mistakes will win"? So not surprising, but nothing I would want my coach to say.
    These are experienced coaches who know their team really well. I really believe at some point during the layoff he was slipping of his slippers about to get in bed and probably confesses to his wife, honey there is a really good chance that we could get run out of the gym against bama...

BamaNation Hall of Fame jthomas666's Avatar
    My Mood
    Stressed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by ValuJet View Post
    I would think the ND coaching staff would have watched enough film to know what they were dealing with.
    There is seeing it on film, and then there is having it run over you. Even Jesse was predicting a semi-competitive game.
    I may disagree with you, but I'm pretty sure you're not Hitler.

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by 100%Crimson View Post
    I admit I was surprised by the comment. He was looking pretty shell shocked by then. I think he never thought Alabama was really that good.
    I think when you watch film, no matter how good a coach you are, it's hard to judge the ability level of the opponent of the team you're scouting.

Quote Originally Posted by jthomas666 View Post
    There is seeing it on film, and then there is having it run over you. Even Jesse was predicting a semi-competitive game.
    Yeah, I thought about that too. Kelly must have known that Coach Saban would have his team ready to deliver a knockout punch. The only other thing he could have said was "I knew this was coming."

Could not believe the words that were coming out of his mouth (Coach Kelly)

I found it refreshing. It was the truth.

RTR '12!
    "Touch dat thang folk!"
    -Cortney Upshaw

Quote Originally Posted by Bamapepper73 View Post
    The part that was the most intriguing to me was when he said " we are not tackling, and I know why". The " i know why " part is what was interesting.
    He said "Who knows why?", not "I know why." ... checking the video

Transcript:
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...ficit/1816429/

"Uh, maybe Alabama doesn't come back in the second half," Kelly said. "It's all Alabama. We can't tackle them right now and… who knows why. You know, they're big and physical. I guess I do know why. It's just that our guys have not tackled the way they have all year."
    Last edited by CraigD; January 8th, 2013 at 10:12 PM.

IMO, he just was being truthful. Seems like a classy guy. Should he have saved those comments for post game? Most likely. Bottom line, he knew ND is a few recruiting classes away from being serious player at level Bama has attained. I appreciate his honesty but honestly, they were beat at that point. IMO, he just wanted them to be respectfully competitive for the rest of the game. RTR
    User formerly known as "13 4 BAMA soon"

"they didn't stumble in to it, they didn't back in to it, they just whipped Miami 34-13" (Keith Jackson circa 1992-3 National Championship, ABC Sports)

Quote Originally Posted by Bamapepper73 View Post
    The part that was the most intriguing to me was when he said " we are not tackling, and I know why". The " i know why " part is what was interesting. Almost like the team did not practice live tackling during the lay off and he may have had an disagreement with another coach about whether or not they should go full speed and practice tackling more. Who knows, but it caught my attention.
    Interesting. I thought I heard "And I don't know why." I'll listen carefully. However, I'd offer up to him that they weren't used to our speed and, as a consequence, they were taking bad angles...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus