TJ Yeldon

jrob

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 16, 2007
Columbus, Ohio
I really like the way Yeldon uses his free hand to break or avoid tackles. One thing he does is sort of like a stiff arm, but more like a swiping or pulling motion. Against Georgia, on 3rd and 5 right before AJ's game winning pass to Cooper, he did this sort of move to get away from Shawn Williams and get the first down. I was so confused when I first saw it because Yeldon almost wraps his arm around the defender like he's picking his pocket or hugging him. Then he kind of rotates and pushes away from him. The guy's got some great moves.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
Imagine if he was the featured running back. He probably would have gone over 2,000 yards as a freshman, which is totally beyond imagination.
IMO "IF" we ever see a 2000 yard back at Bama in this era it will include post season games once the playoff system begins. With the offensive style CNS has installed and continues to employ a feature back system will not be used. Fresh legs going into the second half will always be a priority over stat padding. And I'm good with that. I'm sure the staff and team are as well considering the results so far.

RTR!!!

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
We will get to see it next year, as a true sophomore. I can't imagine that Eddie will be returning.
Lacy has already been saying that he's leaving. It's the only decision that makes any sense for him, given the short career of NFL backs, and he's referenced that in remarks. I'm sure Saban would advise him to go...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Lacy has already been saying that he's leaving. It's the only decision that makes any sense for him, given the short career of NFL backs, and he's referenced that in remarks. I'm sure Saban would advise him to go...
Really, this is similar to Mark leaving. There's so much talent behind Eddie that Bama benefits from him leaving. Otherwise, some of the younger guys won't stay.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I've been thinking EL might have a longer NFL career than MI or TR since he's so good at avoiding the direct hits that MI and TR seems to relish. Avoiding that physical abuse - all things being equal - means a longer career. EL doesn't shy away from contact when he needs it, but he's SO good at taking glancing blows instead of direct hits.

And yah, he needs to go ahead and move on - LOVE having him here but he's done plenty for us! Too risky for him to come back, imo.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
You're reaching. He has incredible balance and alot like Trent, never seems to lose yards.

This guy is a stud and if things continue as is with his health and progression, another RB drafted in the top 15 from our UA.
reaching for what? i've seen him get trip-tackled a whole bunch of times this season. are we to assume he's so awesome and flawless that he has no room for improvement?

crmsntd91

1st Team
Sep 30, 2010
Reaching for a flaw and no, everyone on the planet has room for improvement. What I am saying his he has some of the best footwork and lower body strength for any RB in the NCAA. Watch some of the plays where just pushes 3-4 Notre Dame players and the ref has to blow the whistle to stop the play. All players are going to get tripped, when someone grabs one of your legs its kind of hard to keep running, he is not a flamingo.

reaching for what? i've seen him get trip-tackled a whole bunch of times this season. are we to assume he's so awesome and flawless that he has no room for improvement?

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
Overcoming inertia has little to with power. Sure sometimes you can power through the arm if you happen to have a foot on the ground at the time. Good coordination can help you recover from a trip type tackle where your upper body is moving faster than your lower body, but that depends on how fast you are going. Sure he has room for improvement. I love the drill the running backs use to help with balance and ball security where the coach basically tells them to lose their balance and recover.

Yes I believe you are reaching.

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
I don't know, I've noticed a few times where an OL grabbed him and pulled him back to the huddle to stop him from talking trash. One in particular that comes to mind in in the SECCG when we were plowing UGA's D with the running game. He ripped a long one off and started to get in someone's face and Fluker grabbed him and turned him back to the huddle.

I'm very appreciative of Yeldon, but we also need to remember that he got a lot of carries that would have went to Fowler or Hart and would have cut into his yardage totals. No doubt he's a great back, but his numbers are also bred from the circumstances around him.
There was one play in the champ game where a UGA defender wouldn't let go of his leg and Yeldon popped up and got in his face. It was Steen that grabbed him. Maybe we are talking about different plays but that one to me seemed to be started by the UGA player. Outside of that incident I've never seen him do anything but get back up and walk to the huddle. He usually has that pacifier in so I don't know how he would talk trash.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
Overcoming inertia has little to with power. Sure sometimes you can power through the arm if you happen to have a foot on the ground at the time. Good coordination can help you recover from a trip type tackle where your upper body is moving faster than your lower body, but that depends on how fast you are going. Sure he has room for improvement. I love the drill the running backs use to help with balance and ball security where the coach basically tells them to lose their balance and recover.

Yes I believe you are reaching.
well, i'm no physicist or kineseologist so maybe i should have said work on his balance or whatever rather than strength. is it any more of a reach to say this than to say he looks like gale sayers? good grief...getting nit-picked about supposedly nit-picking. i'm out.

crmsntd91

1st Team
Sep 30, 2010
I don't think anyone was attacking you, just saying the flaw you pointed seems to be one of his strengths. His only flaw I see is he maintains his short strides when he hits the open field. RB's are taught to take short steps and have a wide base when between the tackles, which he does, but he continues that when he is outside and really slows himself down, IMO.

well, i'm no physicist or kineseologist so maybe i should have said work on his balance or whatever rather than strength. is it any more of a reach to say this than to say he looks like gale sayers? good grief...getting nit-picked about supposedly nit-picking. i'm out.

TDBama78

All-American
Jul 11, 2007
Yeldon has the second effort of j musso. Its fun to watch. He's bigger and faster. He's right there with musso when it comes to effort and heart. Thats what makes both great players. The stuff you cant measure.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
There was one play in the champ game where a UGA defender wouldn't let go of his leg and Yeldon popped up and got in his face. It was Steen that grabbed him. Maybe we are talking about different plays but that one to me seemed to be started by the UGA player. Outside of that incident I've never seen him do anything but get back up and walk to the huddle. He usually has that pacifier in so I don't know how he would talk trash.
if there is an altercation/extra curricular activity going on and it involves a UGA player, you can be 99% sure that it was started by a UGA player ;)

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I don't think anyone was attacking you, just saying the flaw you pointed seems to be one of his strengths. His only flaw I see is he maintains his short strides when he hits the open field. RB's are taught to take short steps and have a wide base when between the tackles, which he does, but he continues that when he is outside and really slows himself down, IMO.
imagine how much he is going to learn/improve over the spring and summer with a year of experience and training behind him. its almost unfair

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I looked at the game the other day. Those arm tackles were ran through like they were nothing! Bama was punishing them severely!
i watched the replay last night and there were so many awesome shots of sad notre dame players getting up after being bulldozed, juked, attempted arm tackles

OreBama

All-American
Sep 26, 2005
Portland, OR
He's a great, young RB. He has the most odd, or maybe "unique" is a better word, running style that I've ever seen. He always falls forward, which is great. I can't wait to watch him for two more years.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
I don't know, I've noticed a few times where an OL grabbed him and pulled him back to the huddle to stop him from talking trash. One in particular that comes to mind in in the SECCG when we were plowing UGA's D with the running game. He ripped a long one off and started to get in someone's face and Fluker grabbed him and turned him back to the huddle.

I'm very appreciative of Yeldon, but we also need to remember that he got a lot of carries that would have went to Fowler or Hart and would have cut into his yardage totals. No doubt he's a great back, but his numbers are also bred from the circumstances around him.
I think I know the play you are referring to near the goal line. I think the reason Yeldon was going after the player was because he twisted his ankle while he was on the ground - it was a cheap shot and could have resulted in injury. IMO, T.J.'s response was very understandable. T.J. quickly composed himself when he was grabbed by Fluker. He seems like a great kid - very poised.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.