Hats off to the ND fan I met in Denver

TNBama

1st Team
Apr 19, 2000
Knoxville, TN. USA
As much as I hate Notre Dame, and as much as I enjoyed humiliating them Monday night, its ND fans like the one I met Monday night that I really feel sorry for. I was in Denver for a business trip for the NC game, and went to a sports bar with some colleagues I was finally meeting. Sitting beside me was a Notre Dame fan that was not part of our group, and his friends. Throughout the game we enjoyed very good conversation talking about our storied programs, and he nearly brought tears to my eyes as he told me about his aging, ailing grandfather who was so overjoyed with seeing his Irish team come back this season. He was very classy and humble but still proud as our Tide ripped through his beloved Irish. Fans like him is one of the things that makes college football so great. And having experienced crushing defeats of my Crimson Tide, part of me felt his pain. So to the true classy Notre Dame fans out there, keep your heads up. You had a GREAT season, and should be proud of it.

On a side note, one of my female colleagues from Denver, which I barely knew and is NOT a Bama fan, bought a Bama shirt JUST for this game and wore it proudly, as an inside joke with the group. (When planning the trip I had jokingly said I would buy a drink for anyone wearing a Bama shirt for the game). I laughed so hard over it, I just had to buy all of her drinks for the night. I would have much preferred to watch the game at home with my wife and family. But since I couldnt do that, it sure was nice getting to know some of my remote work buddies under these great circumstances.

ROLL TIDE!!!

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
As much as I hate Notre Dame, and as much as I enjoyed humiliating them Monday night, its ND fans like the one I met Monday night that I really feel sorry for. I was in Denver for a business trip for the NC game, and went to a sports bar with some colleagues I was finally meeting. Sitting beside me was a Notre Dame fan that was not part of our group, and his friends. Throughout the game we enjoyed very good conversation talking about our storied programs, and he nearly brought tears to my eyes as he told me about his aging, ailing grandfather who was so overjoyed with seeing his Irish team come back this season. He was very classy and humble but still proud as our Tide ripped through his beloved Irish. Fans like him is one of the things that makes college football so great. And having experienced crushing defeats of my Crimson Tide, part of me felt his pain. So to the true classy Notre Dame fans out there, keep your heads up. You had a GREAT season, and should be proud of it.

On a side note, one of my female colleagues from Denver, which I barely knew and is NOT a Bama fan, bought a Bama shirt JUST for this game and wore it proudly, as an inside joke with the group. (When planning the trip I had jokingly said I would buy a drink for anyone wearing a Bama shirt for the game). I laughed so hard over it, I just had to buy all of her drinks for the night. I would have much preferred to watch the game at home with my wife and family. But since I couldnt do that, it sure was nice getting to know some of my remote work buddies under these great circumstances.

ROLL TIDE!!!
Great experience, since you had to watch it there (torture). I've posted a number of times that my dad only survived to February, 1958, but one of the last things he said to my mom was that Alabama was was going to be all right because Coach Bryant was coming back home. I know exactly how that ND fan felt...

rizolltizide

Hall of Fame
Jan 4, 2003
st pete, fl
I know one Notre Dame grad, at least that I'm aware of. He is my brother-in-law's best friend from childhood and like a brother to my wife. He's my age so he's seen some good domer teams. He grew up with a winning team just like I did and saw his program drift into the abyss just like I did. We talk football every time we see each other, which isn't but once every couple of years or so. He was the first one I called when we won the SECCG. No smack talk, just a quick "whodathunkit."

He sent a text late in the game Monday night that said "I guess playing us is about like playing Tennessee. Sorry about that." For fans like that, I almost feel bad. Almost. There are some good ones out there.

/nice guy talk

bat123

All-American
Great experience, since you had to watch it there (torture). I've posted a number of times that my dad only survived to February, 1958, but one of the last things he said to my mom was that Alabama was was going to be all right because Coach Bryant was coming back home. I know exactly how that ND fan felt...
My dad passed in 1991 and one of the last things he told me was not to worry that Coach Stallings would turn things around, and if he didn't that we'd find a coach who would. He is where my love for Bama came from and I've had him with me during each season. Roll Tide Pops!!!!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.