Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Paranoid on TideFans.com

Re: Gimmick offenses (Oregon, Texas A&M, etc...)

Quote Originally Posted by rizolltizide View Post
    You lost me at comic books warning you about Catholics.
    They messed me up as a child...

I wasn't allowed Marvel comics, but they gave me stuff like this to read: http://productimages.c28.com/stl/2/9780937958742.jpg
    My sister won't celebrate Christmas because she says it's a Catholic holiday. So, in case you can't tell my reference to my indoctrination was not advocating for it.
    Last edited by KrAzY3; January 9th, 2013 at 10:14 AM.

2. Advertisement
    Suspended
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry the Baylor "gimmick" offense destroyed Kansas St and gave Alabama a chance to win another title. That same gimmick offense only passed 13 times in scoring 49 points and destroying UCLA in the Holiday Bowl. Sumlin inherited that gimmick offense from Briles at Houston and turned Aggie into a winner in one year with the gimmick. The gimmick offense turns out Heisman QBs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 257WBY View Post
    Sorry the Baylor "gimmick" offense destroyed Kansas St and gave Alabama a chance to win another title. That same gimmick offense only passed 13 times in scoring 49 points and destroying UCLA in the Holiday Bowl. Sumlin inherited that gimmick offense from Briles at Houston and turned Aggie into a winner in one year with the gimmick. The gimmick offense turns out Heisman QBs.
    baylor destroyed k state because k state started believing they were unbeatable. this happens to top teams every year in november.

manziels performance against bama in the first quarter and a weak field was what led to the heisman, not a and m's offense as much. regardless it was freak athletes ($cam, rg3, jm) and not offensive systems that won the heisman the past three years.
    Hail Mary, Full of Grace, Notre Dame in Second Place, with a made up girlfriend

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.

-Bertrand Russell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Paranoid on TideFans.com

Sorry the Baylor "gimmick" offense destroyed Kansas St and gave Alabama a chance to win another title.
    And? Baylor gave up 70 points in a game. You can't just point out the virtues. It's still a gimmick and the advantage will diminish over time. The wildcat was brought up, and was it a great idea to start using it? Sure, it was also a great idea for a lot of teams to stop using it as well. That's how gimmicks work.

My irritation is not with the offense, it is with people buying far too much into these offenses because they usually put up good numbers. No one wants to talk about what they look like when the other team figures them out, the only want to say how awesome it is when they are putting up video game numbers. Well, I guess the video game was broken when Oregon played Stanford.
    Last edited by KrAzY3; January 9th, 2013 at 10:37 AM.

BamaNation Third Team
    Post Thanks / Like

We are starting to see similar offenses in the SEC now the barn and UT will run a version of the spread as well. The key to make this work is a very athletic qb that can throw well too. As TN, Aub, and of course A&M begin to build their talent they will get better at it. During this time as Bama sees this offense 3-4 times/yr they will become better prepared for it while at the same time they still have to prepare for more traditional offenses like LSU and ARK. As long as Saban and Smart are the ones game planning for these situations and we continue to recruit the talent we get with the combo of size and speed I like our chances no matter who we play against. While there may be some growing pains over the next couple years this will only make the Tide D better and more prepared for all situations. The best defense can at times be a great running game that controls the clock. By the way Bama has that too.

BamaNation All-American MattinBama's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The main gimmick is that their casual fans & video game fans start believing that putting up 70 points on the Toledo School For Deaf & Blind Anorexic Children equals them to the task of putting up 70 points on the best defenses in the nation only to have their hopes and dreams shattered repeatedly when the truth of that showdown comes out.

The good thing is that the next year when they put up 72 points on the East Virginia School for Women Stuck in One Wheeled Wheel Chairs their casual fans yet again start believing the same thing.

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cheerful on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by KrAzY3 View Post
    And? Baylor gave up 70 points in a game. You can't just point out the virtues. It's still a gimmick and the advantage will diminish over time. The wildcat was brought up, and was it a great idea to start using it? Sure, it was also a great idea for a lot of teams to stop using it as well. That's how gimmicks work.

My irritation is not with the offense, it is with people buying far too much into these offenses because they usually put up good numbers. No one wants to talk about what they look like when the other team figures them out, the only want to say how awesome it is when they are putting up video game numbers. Well, I guess the video game was broken when Oregon played Stanford.
    And LSU....
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exist, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

Suspended
    Post Thanks / Like

Ask TAMU and Baylor how things were before the offense got there. Oregon lost the same number of games Alabama did. Any team can have a bad day. Any offense would've been better than the crap ND put out there.

Post Thanks / Like

Ask TAMU and Baylor how things were before the offense got there. Oregon lost the same number of games Alabama did. Any team can have a bad day. Any offense would've been better than the crap ND put out there.
    alabama has three crystal balls and two sec championship trophies in the trophy case from the last four years and what 59 or 60 wins over the last 5 years. somehow we miraculously accomplished this with no gimmick offense

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.

-Bertrand Russell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

BamaNation Hall of Fame rizolltizide's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    alabama has three crystal balls and two sec championship trophies in the trophy case from the last four years and what 59 or 60 wins over the last 5 years. somehow we miraculously accomplished this with no gimmick offense
    You're just old and grumpy, cracka.
    RIP Hub

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rizolltizide View Post
    You're just old and grumpy, cracka.
    you would be too if all these gimmicky kids were hanging out on your lawn all day

-Bertrand Russell

ó Thomas Pynchon

Suspended
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by MattinBama View Post
    The main gimmick is that their casual fans & video game fans start believing that putting up 70 points on the Toledo School For Deaf & Blind Anorexic Children equals them to the task of putting up 70 points on the best defenses in the nation only to have their hopes and dreams shattered repeatedly when the truth of that showdown comes out.

The good thing is that the next year when they put up 72 points on the East Virginia School for Women Stuck in One Wheeled Wheel Chairs their casual fans yet again start believing the same thing.
    Easy there boy! I met my wife at that school!

Suspended
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Honestly Krazy, I think your analysis is to gimmicky...