Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
    Suspended
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    as we've seen time and time again, stats (offensive or defensive) put up against big 12 or pac 12 teams, especially in bowl games, don't mean a whole lot in the grand scheme of things.
    What did you think of the Aggie stats in Tuscaloosa? What did you think about the vast improvement at Ole Miss with a different offense? With less than a full year in the new offense, TAMU and Ole Miss were greatly improved.

2. Advertisement
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Paranoid on TideFans.com

Re: Gimmick offenses (Oregon, Texas A&M, etc...)

Quote Originally Posted by 257WBY View Post
    What did you think of the Aggie stats in Tuscaloosa? What did you think about the vast improvement at Ole Miss with a different offense? With less than a full year in the new offense, TAMU and Ole Miss were greatly improved.
    Once again, they are running an offense that their opponents are ill prepared for. They can and will adjust over time. Gimmicks work! That's the point, people want to argue over my use of the term but a gimmick works or else it wouldn't be a gimmick!
    Last edited by KrAzY3; January 10th, 2013 at 10:22 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

i dont worry at all about either of those teams, they did improve, but ole miss had no where to go but up.

we beat ole miss handily this year and will again next year and i am guessing we will beat a and m handily next year in college station. aggies stats in t-town, as has been explained, were mostly due to that dreadful first quarter.

these "new" offenses have been in the SEC since meyer started at UF in 2005. they are player dependent and flash in the pan and cannot be sustained year in and year out against talented defenses. as was also mentioned in this thread, over and over, you also need a stud defense to win consistently in the sec (and by extension, the bcd). neither a and m nor ole miss have that, or will have that next year.
    Hail Mary, Full of Grace, Notre Dame in Second Place, with a made up girlfriend

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.

-Bertrand Russell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cheerful on TideFans.com

What is your overall line of thinking regarding offenses like aTm's, Oregon's & Ole Miss'? Do you think that these style offenses are superior to the style defenses of an Alabama, LSU, Florida etc.? And that ultimately it is the SEC defenses that are the ones going to be forced to change, not these type offenses? Curious to read your thoughts.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exist, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation Second Team
    Post Thanks / Like

What was gimmicky about A&M's defense?

The first interception was brilliant coaching: Show a Cover 2 safety look, switch to Robber coverage, INT.

Yeldon's fumble wasn't a mistake: hard hit by A&M defender right on the ball, the way it is supposed to be.

The final INT was scouting and having players ready to go: the DB never hesitated, read the attempted (illegal) pick play, avoided the WR pick, and made the INT.

What about putting our walk-on DL Spencer Nealy on Barrett Jones and frustrating the Outland Trophy winner all night.

If A&M's offense against Alabama was a "gimmick," the Defense wasn't. Unless you call "Bend but don't Break" and "stiffening up at the right time"

gimmicks.

It wasn't just A&M's offense against Alabama. If you want to beat Nick Saban's team, it takes a complete effort.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cheerful on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by jagvocate View Post

The first interception was brilliant coaching: Show a Cover 2 safety look, switch to Robber coverage, INT.

Yeldon's fumble wasn't a mistake: hard hit by A&M defender right on the ball, the way it is supposed to be.

The final INT was scouting and having players ready to go: the DB never hesitated, read the attempted (illegal) pick play, avoided the WR pick, and made the INT.

What about putting our walk-on DL Spencer Nealy on Barrett Jones and frustrating the Outland Trophy winner all night.

If A&M's offense against Alabama was a "gimmick," the Defense wasn't. Unless you call "Bend but don't Break" and "stiffening up at the right time"

gimmicks.

It wasn't just A&M's offense against Alabama. If you want to beat Nick Saban's team, it takes a complete effort.
    No one is taking anything away from the win. Anybody can beat anybody on a given Saturday. It's what you do over the course of the marathon that counts. You beat us, great, congrats. But you lost two other games. Doesn't matter why, you lost more games than we did. See you in College Station next season.

The issue that's being discussed here seems to be the staying power of the spread offense. What makes it so successful? Is it the scheme itself? Or is its success more rooted out of finding that specific type quarterback? Or is it simply the fast pace tempo that any style offense can run and get basically the same results?
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exist, no matter what man thinks.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Paranoid on TideFans.com

Texas A&M had around 180 yards in the first quarter and around 230 for the rest of the game.

Does that tell anyone something? Alabama's defense adjusted. Good idea for A&M to go with the offense, bully for them. It's funny to me because I was saying the SEC should add Texas A&M over a year before it happened. I was even given insider access to an A&M forum and got to read up in inside info on what was going on. I pulled for A&M all year (except for the Alabama game). I don't hate Texas A&M.

I just hate that people are not accurately reading the data. Just because Alabama blew out Notre Dame does not mean that Oregon or Texas A&M would not have lost to Notre Dame, or faced a similar result against Alabama. The offense will work as long as there are tremendous athletes to execute it, and/or defenses that are not prepared to face it.

But, you can't give yourself too big a pat on the back when in one game you were held to 17 points and in another game you gave up 57 points. Come on now...

BamaNation First Team 1958againbear's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

gimmicks.

I believe the subject was about gimmicky offenses. Yes in a sense aTm's defense did save the day - barely after giving up a 3 TD lead (created by a hot QB and spread offense, 'gimmicky' or not) and enough big plays for Bama to almost pull the game out. But they made enough plays to hang on and over the course of the season were certainly a credible defense. But I'm not really interested in a recounting of the various reasons from the aTm perspective why they beat us that day. There's probably a large number of threads for that over on the aTm boards.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

BamaNation Hall of Fame TexasBama's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

BamaNation Second Team
    Post Thanks / Like

Fox's Officiating Consultant discussing this very issue:

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cheerful on TideFans.com

Fox's Officiating Consultant discussing this very issue:

So the element that is making this thing difficult to defend has nothing to do with the spread. But the no huddle? Like I said. This is the element that is causing defenses issues. The inability to read and adjust. No matter the offense being run. Alabama could run the no huddle with our pro style offense and accomplish the same thing.

Suspended
    Post Thanks / Like

So was Don Coryell's offense a gimmick?

Was Coach Bryant a gimmick with the wishbone?

Some of y'all are incredulous.

Suspended
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    What is your overall line of thinking regarding offenses like aTm's, Oregon's & Ole Miss'? Do you think that these style offenses are superior to the style defenses of an Alabama, LSU, Florida etc.? And that ultimately it is the SEC defenses that are the ones going to be forced to change, not these type offenses? Curious to read your thoughts.
    I think the SEC defenses will be forced to go lighter and faster against TAMU, Ole Miss, Auburn, and the others that run this offense. This would be where Alabama would move Vinnie to OLB and bring in a better cover safety or CB. The only teams that have given Alabama trouble in recent years have been ones with an athletic QB. Even one as sorry as JJ as been been a threat because he can run. With a read-option type QB, you have to account for another football player. If you don't have Alabama type talent, you need to make defenses account for another player.
    The magic of the offense is that you can run out of it like the option of the old days. As I stated earlier, Baylor only passed 13 times vs UCLA, while rushing for 306. A dominant running game is still possible, but you give the defenses more to think about.