Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Alasippi's Avatar

The "Stare Down" Was A Huge ND Pre-Game Mistake In My Opinion

I guess it's a Notre Dame tradition to line up and kinda stare down their opponents as they exit their locker rooms.

They did it in "Rudy" and they did it Monday Night as we exited the tunnel.

I really think that was a bad bad move because I can't help but think that feeble attempt at intimidation accomplished one thing---It ticked our players off and pumped them up even more so than they already were.

Just an observation but I really thought it was dumb on their part.

sip

2. Advertisement

Re: The "Stare Down" Was A Huge ND Pre-Game Mistake In My Opinion

As I watched that play out on TV I was thinking that the Alabama players looked HUGE, and ND players looked nervous. If they were trying to "stare down" the Alabama players, they failed.

Quote Originally Posted by Alasippi View Post
    I guess it's a Notre Dame tradition to line up and kinda stare down their opponents as they exit their locker rooms.

I really think that was a bad bad move because I can't help but think that feeble attempt at intimidation accomplished one thing---It ticked our players off and pumped them up even more so than they already were.

sip
    it was a feeble attempt. actually, i would guess that our team didn't really care. i think the die was already cast at that point. when i watched the replay last night, it was funny to watch how amped the nd defenders were after the first couple of tackles they made (on kick off and lacy's first run). its so cute when they still think they have a chance
    Hail Mary, Full of Grace, Notre Dame in Second Place, with a made up girlfriend

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.

-Bertrand Russell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.

— Thomas Pynchon

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    Inspired on TideFans.com

Heck I just thought it was done that way because of the arrangement. Teams had to exit the same tunnel, and Alabama had to go first because we were the "road" team. In any event, our guys seemed not to even notice that they were there.

another thing i noticed was that before, during warmups etc. the cameras kept getting shots of the nd players (especially te'o) "pumping" each other up during warm ups and the intensity would always rise a bit when the cameras were on them.

they went down to shoot our players and steen motioned the cameras away and kept going through warm-ups.
    Hail Mary, Full of Grace, Notre Dame in Second Place, with a made up girlfriend

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.

-Bertrand Russell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.

— Thomas Pynchon

Quote Originally Posted by TideEngineer08 View Post
    Heck I just thought it was done that way because of the arrangement. Teams had to exit the same tunnel, and Alabama had to go first because we were the "road" team. In any event, our guys seemed not to even notice that they were there.
    Like during the game?

BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Alasippi View Post
    sip
    I saw the same thing you did. I thought the 'Stare Down' attempt, was a sign of dis-respect toward our team.
    IMO: That piece of 'Gamesmanship' came back to bite em.

BamaNation First Team

When you're smaller, weaker, and less talented than your opponent, staring doesn't help.

Did anyone notice how much earlier the Notre Dame team arrived at the Stadium than the Bama team? Seemed like they had been there for awhile when they showed the Bama buses arriving.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    Inspired on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    another thing i noticed was that before, during warmups etc. the cameras kept getting shots of the nd players (especially te'o) "pumping" each other up during warm ups and the intensity would always rise a bit when the cameras were on them.

they went down to shoot our players and steen motioned the cameras away and kept going through warm-ups.
    It's amazing the subtle details you pick up on about Coach Saban's operation when you're watching the product on the field. Thankfully for us, those things are never subtle to him.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Alasippi's Avatar

Thought of this when I saw it....obviously a tradition. Maybe one that should be abolished lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpyZHmGRPuE

I wondered what that was about. I thought they were staring in disbelief.

BamaNation First Team AgentAntiOrange's Avatar
    My Mood
    Suspicious on TideFans.com

I don't discount your point but personally I don't think it mattered. After listening to post game comments from players I really don't believe our players were affected by any of the hype surrounding the game one way or another. I don't think they were worried about the ND players, the ND scheme, who got how much media coverage...none of it. I think they simply intended to come out, execute to the best of their ability, and be satisfied with that. I think ND was just a nameless, faceless opponent. The only scoreboard was the one that measured the result of the current play and their only motivation was their own standards of excellence.
    Be Good Or Be Gone

“I just put them on the coffee table for recruits to look at”
    -Coach Saban when asked if he wears his championship rings.

'Im sorry, folks outside of SEC country, but a few facts are incontrovertible. They smoke better barbecue than you. Their women are prettier than your women. They play football better than your schools play football.
    -Andy Stiles, Sports Illustrated, after the 42-14 beat down of ND

The game is won Sunday thru Friday. Seriously.

Staring...all that jumping up & down, woofing & hollering, that's all "clutter" as Coach Saban and Dr. Ilko like to say.

I try to teach the kids that I coach that all that pre-game nonsense and "motivation" only lasts for about 5 minutes or until you get hit in the mouth. After that, it comes down to execution. And I don't care how motivated they were, Notre Dame was out-executed in EVERY.....FACET...OF...THE...GAME
    "I didn't come to Alabama to win 10 games a year and be a contender. I came here to win championships. Conference championships and national championships. I love it here because that's just not what I want, but what this fanbase expects."
    --Alabama Head Football Coach, Nick Saban

“Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on it’s ability to climb a tree, it will spend it’s whole life believing it is stupid.” — Albert Einstein