Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Re: The "Stare Down" Was A Huge ND Pre-Game Mistake In My Opinion

Quote Originally Posted by TideEngineer08 View Post
    It's amazing the subtle details you pick up on about Coach Saban's operation when you're watching the product on the field. Thankfully for us, those things are never subtle to him.
    while we can definitely be beat from time to time, bama is currently existing on another level than pretty much any other program in the country and its because of those little things. also, (at least i think) that is not something that coach told them to do. it is more the product of players buying into the system and figuring the right thing to do on their own (also see nico's comments after the game).
    Hail Mary, Full of Grace, Notre Dame in Second Place, with a made up girlfriend

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.

-Bertrand Russell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.

— Thomas Pynchon

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Tidewater's Avatar
    My Mood
    Brooding on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    they went down to shoot our players and steen motioned the cameras away and kept going through warm-ups.
    I noticed that, too. It was as if Steen was saying, "Hey, man, we're doing a drill here. Get out of the way."

I agree the stare down was a huge mistake.

With the Miami humidity it obviously dried their eyes out and made it tough on them to execute!

Quote Originally Posted by TideEngineer08 View Post
    Heck I just thought it was done that way because of the arrangement. Teams had to exit the same tunnel, and Alabama had to go first because we were the "road" team. In any event, our guys seemed not to even notice that they were there.
    I said that to my wife. Only a couple of walk-ons on our squad even looked in their direction.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    Inspired on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    while we can definitely be beat from time to time, bama is currently existing on another level than pretty much any other program in the country and its because of those little things. also, (at least i think) that is not something that coach told them to do. it is more the product of players buying into the system and figuring the right thing to do on their own (also see nico's comments after the game).
    Oh no, I too don't think he coaches them to do those very specific things. But he's a master at conditioning their minds to be focused and dedicated to the task at hand and removing all of that "clutter." And we see the end result in those little things and of course, the winning.

BamaNation Hall of Fame deliveryman35's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

That and Manti Teo beating his chest like Tarzan as they were exiting the tunnel just came off as manufactured bravado to me. I'm glad we don't rely on cheap theatrics like that and do our talking on the field.
    "Football is a hard game. These spread coaches forget that. Until good defenses remind them." Gene Stallings

Quote Originally Posted by WMack4Bama View Post
    The game is won Sunday thru Friday. Seriously.

Staring...all that jumping up & down, woofing & hollering, that's all "clutter" as Coach Saban and Dr. Ilko like to say.
    Yes... to us, that is.

For them if it was something they may have been counting on having an effect on us; when it doesn't work it ends up being backfiring as the "uh oh, they're not intimidated by us" begins to settle into the back of their minds.

Don't most stadiums have different place that the players enter (different tunnels)? If so, then that stare thing must be something they do at home and the few places with one tunnel.

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideMan09's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

I had a feeling the game was over as The Irish stood there looking at our Boys going out the Tunnel..It was obvious they were already "Processed"..They already had the look..

Does anyone have a video clip of the stare down..I've looked & haven't found it..I thought it was awesome..

BamaNation All-American TheRealPokeChop's Avatar
    My Mood
    Aggressive on TideFans.com

there was only one tunnel and both teams had to use it. I dont think it was an attempt to start the team down, just happened that way since they came out second.
    Serve no master but your own ambition.

To tell you what I thought when Alabama was going past the Notre Dame players, It looked like we were really taking our time. Our players were happy, skipping, strutting, a few at a time and it seemed to go on for quite a while. Then the Notre Dame players all entered the field in one large quick cluster. On Fox and Friends yesterday morning, one of them stated that the game was won when Notre Dame's players stood and watched Alabama file past.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealPokeChop View Post
    there was only one tunnel and both teams had to use it. I dont think it was an attempt to start the team down, just happened that way since they came out second.
    IMO whatever they did started the team up...

Let's be real here. The captains came out ahead of Coach Saban. And if ND was standing there and the first thing they saw was Warmack's stomach....yeah...the game was over at that point.

That dude's belly is gonna go down in Alabama lore.
    "I didn't come to Alabama to win 10 games a year and be a contender. I came here to win championships. Conference championships and national championships. I love it here because that's just not what I want, but what this fanbase expects."
    --Alabama Head Football Coach, Nick Saban

“Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on it’s ability to climb a tree, it will spend it’s whole life believing it is stupid.” — Albert Einstein