The "Stare Down" Was A Huge ND Pre-Game Mistake In My Opinion

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
When you're smaller, weaker, and less talented than your opponent, staring doesn't help.

Did anyone notice how much earlier the Notre Dame team arrived at the Stadium than the Bama team? Seemed like they had been there for awhile when they showed the Bama buses arriving.
I did notice this. I think it was for Coach Kelly to talk and get his photo taken with ex-ND greats like Theisman and other celebrities. I saw Kelly doing this and I was thinking to myself could you imagine coach Saban doing this before any game. I guess if your coach is star-struck and wide eyed your team will be too.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
#88 sure looked like he was getting ready for some fun as he passed ND's players.

Dallas4Bama

Suspended
Sep 27, 2006
Dallas, Texas
It may be my bad eyes or just my imagination, but at the :58 mark does the notre dame player closest to the camera give the old knuckle pop with his fist move? The international symbol for I'm going to punch you is what I would call it.

Also, I don't know how to find the video, but does anyone else remember just before kick off the camera zooming in on CNS while someone was telling him something? He had a look of disappointment or frustration come across his face. I wonder if he was being told the status on Bell or something. Whatever it was it didn't make him happy at all.

BamaFossil

All-American
Jun 3, 2008
Williamsburg, VA
Not saying it wasn't, but it never occurred to me that ND arrived at the tunnel intersection early to attempt a stare-down moment. Since both teams had to enter the stadium via the same tunnel, I figured there would be coordinators to ensure the teams came through the tunnel at the appropriate time to avoid interfering with each other. When ND was standing there waiting for Bama, I just figured Bama delayed a minute or so in leaving the locker room so they could march out onto the field while ND stands and watches. I saw it as one-upmanship by Bama... :cool: This impression was buttressed by the fact the Bama team seemed dribble out of the locker room, taking a fair amount of time while the ND players stood by to let 'em pass.

Stare-down... Heh. Never thought of it... :eek:

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
All I know is that by the end of the first quarter they had pretty much a blank stare on their face, wondering did anyone get the number of that truck that just ran over us. Krymsonman

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Not saying it wasn't, but it never occurred to me that ND arrived at the tunnel intersection early to attempt a stare-down moment. Since both teams had to enter the stadium via the same tunnel, I figured there would be coordinators to ensure the teams came through the tunnel at the appropriate time to avoid interfering with each other. When ND was standing there waiting for Bama, I just figured Bama delayed a minute or so in leaving the locker room so they could march out onto the field while ND stands and watches. I saw it as one-upmanship by Bama... :cool: This impression was buttressed by the fact the Bama team seemed dribble out of the locker room, taking a fair amount of time while the ND players stood by to let 'em pass.

Stare-down... Heh. Never thought of it... :eek:
I wouldn't be surprised. In any case, our guys made the absolute most of it...

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
thats all it was, we entered first and they were waiting in the tunnel so they could enter....not a staged 'stare down' or anything.
Notre Dame does that at every home game they play and have forever. It's part of their tradition.

I posted a clip from Rudy earlier. I know it was a movie but the part where they line up and stare down their opponent as they exit their locker room is identical to Monday night.

dajbama

Scout Team
Dec 22, 2011
It all reminded me of what Houston Nut said of Saban and Bama..."Alabama looks like Gladiators when they come on the field." ND just had a good look of it from the get go.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Notre Dame does that at every home game they play and have forever. It's part of their tradition.

I posted a clip from Rudy earlier. I know it was a movie but the part where they line up and stare down their opponent as they exit their locker room is identical to Monday night.
Didn't work...

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I thought they just shared the same tunnel as well. My impression at the time was that Bama was loose and ND was tight.

Just Win

All-SEC
Dec 22, 2003
Alabaster, AL, USA
That and Manti Teo beating his chest like Tarzan as they were exiting the tunnel just came off as manufactured bravado to me. I'm glad we don't rely on cheap theatrics like that and do our talking on the field.
Apparently he injured himself, because he was a major non-factor in the outcome of the game. We hardly heard his name called all night.

Bama1985

1st Team
Jan 18, 2006
Calhoun County
I had a feeling the game was over as The Irish stood there looking at our Boys going out the Tunnel..It was obvious they were already "Processed"..They already had the look..

Does anyone have a video clip of the stare down..I've looked & haven't found it..I thought it was awesome..
Enjoy the Tunnel from a different camera angle. Sounds like ND players are chanting defense--guess this was suppose to intimidate. AJ is one of the last players out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=4WViU3hSAzA

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.