Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame

Re: Does Notre Dame recover from such an epic beat down.?

ND has a talent issue. I think the gameplan wasn't strong (keep 7 in the box on D; get the ball to Eifert at any cost), but they adjusted on offense and had success. They tried to adjust on D with run blitzes and bringing a safety up, but their defensive woes were lack of athletic ability and quality depth. They didn't stumble into being 12-0; they just never faced a team as athletic as ours (USC doesn't count when the coach wastes the talent and OU has been notoriously soft recently). It's taken UT a while to recover because they never had that elite QB again; those spread read-option offenses require an elite QB (Tebow, Cam, Johnny Football, Vince, Colt McCoy). I think ND has a better coach than UT. On a side note, it's scary to think what CNS could do at a place with built in recruiting and the resources of UT or USC; we have the financial resources, but we have to recruit out of state well to get a top class.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-SEC

I don't think the loss hurt Notre Dame at all. They're sort of in the unique position of being able to simultaneously offer recruits immediate playing time and a chance to play for a championship.

Kelly is a very good coach and with Southern Cal in such a turmoil, ND has a decent shot to go unbeaten again in the near future. Next time, ND might get lucky and be matched up against a much less physical & disciplined team.
    Last edited by JeffAtlanta; January 9th, 2013 at 01:17 PM.

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football
    My Mood
    Cheerful on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by TDBama78 View Post
    If im a nd player and watch the halftime interview and my coach says if the other team does not come back out we have a shot, i mean wow my coach has packed it in. Bryant would never say that, stallings ,saban, wouldnt either. Heck joe kines didnt say that kind of statement. Joke or no joke they wouldnt do it. Its not their nature. But kelley said it. It tells alittle bit about who he is. Kelley isnt a bad coach but i think monday was as close to a bcsnc that nd will get while kelley is there. He reminds me of tubbervile.
    I don't know. I'm not sure Coach Stallings, Saban or Bryant was ever in a game where their players were that much inferior to the opponent. I mean, we get on Coach Kelly but did you hear the entire ESPN panel at halftime? The looks on their faces along with their comments reflected that of Brian Kelly. I personally think people watching the game on tv (rather than being there) didn't get the full effect of how physically out manned ND was. Urban point blank said, when asked what he would do in the second half, "I don't know if there's anything you can do."

I think if adjustments could be made Brian Kelly would have made them. But I think inferiority of talent was so great at too many positions to compensate with scheme. And that's what the ESPN halftime panel was saying over and over. I guess being too honest is what we could get on him for, and he should of just spewed out some cliche coach speak. But the reality of it is, those players that are coming back need to know (if they don't already) "We've got to get better. We've got to work harder." When you admit reality you can make progress.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exist, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    I don't know. I'm not sure Coach Stallings, Saban or Bryant was ever in a game where their players were that much inferior to the opponent. I mean, we get on Coach Kelly but did you hear the entire ESPN panel at halftime? The looks on their faces along with their comments reflected that of Brian Kelly. I personally think people watching the game on tv (rather than being there) didn't get the full effect of how physically out manned ND was. Urban point blank said, when asked what he would do in the second half, "I don't know if there's anything you can do."

I think if adjustments could be made Brian Kelly would have made them. But I think inferiority of talent was so great at too many positions to compensate with scheme. And that's what the ESPN halftime panel was saying over and over. I guess being too honest is what we could get on him for, and he should of just spewed out some cliche coach speak. But the reality of it is, those players that are coming back need to know (if they don't already) "We've got to get better. We've got to work harder." When you admit reality you can make progress.
    I agree.
    mo they took a worse psychological beating than a physical beating and both were pretty severe. I think rebuilding them psychologically will be tough. Time will tell.

BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Conference champions that go undefeated and then lose in the NC can at least look back and say "We won the conference championship!" They have something to show for all their hard work and regular season success. For ND, it's national championship or nothing. This year ND finished the regular season 12-0 and have nothing to show for it. That's gotta' be deflating. Furthermore, if they're in the championship game again in the near future, the players could be wound tight as a tick as they (a) contemplate playing in another all-or-nothing game; and (b) realize the SEC team they're about to face may well bring a higher level game to the table than what they've seen all year.

So yes, I agree the psychological aspect could be tough for them.

Suspended
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Coach Stallings and team did from the Fiesta Bowl.

BamaNation First Team Kevin4Bama's Avatar
    My Mood
    Aggressive on TideFans.com

They lose WAY too many seniors to make it back next year.
    "Auburn would never admit it, but it always wanted to be Alabama when it grew up." -ESPN's Gene Wojciechowski

Suspended
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin4Bama View Post
    They lose WAY too many seniors to make it back next year.
    We can relate to that prediction.

Notre Dame, the only team ever to go from unranked to #1 at season's end. Auburn had a more impressive year when they ended up 3rd imo.

But they won absolutely nothing, no conference championship. They did win a swift kick in the arse I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post

Orange Bowl, 1972 - #1 Nebraska 38, #2 UA 6. I flashed back to the game continually while the Irish took the beating. I and other Bama fans who watched that earlier fiasco could certainly empathize..
    Last edited by Tidetwin; January 9th, 2013 at 04:32 PM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame CajunCrimson's Avatar
    My Mood
    Busy on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by TDBama78 View Post
    Beat downs like this from Bama put you at the fork in the road, like Tx. , they havent recovered yet.
    LSU hasn't recovered either -- in fact -- I heard that when Les got on the SEC Elevator -- the only buttons he could push were "DOWN", "WAY DOWN" and "AUBURN"
    Raj: Excuse me, I can't be drinking, I'm about to make an important scientific discovery here!
    Howard:What? Galileo did his best work while drinking wine!
    Raj: How do you know that?
    Howard: He was Italian, it's a reasonable assumption.
    Raj: Dude, can you even open your mouth without saying a cultural stereotype?
    Howard: I'm sorry Galileo drank diet sprite!

BamaNation First Team 1958againbear's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tidetwin View Post
    Orange Bowl, 1972 - #1 Nebraska 38, #2 UA 6. I flashed back to the game continually while the Irish took the beating. I and other Bama fans who watched that earlier fiasco could certainly empathize..
    I don't mean to empathize with ND and certainly not their fans but under the circumstances they had an excellent season until Monday. Unfortunately for them they were overrated and greatly overmatched. It does harken back to our '71 season and the beating we took from Nebraska. I took that loss hard at the time but eventually was consoled some by the fact that Nebraska, Oklahoma, and maybe Colorado were just that much better than everybody else even with Bear on our sideline. The difference is that we were a dominant team in '71 wiping out our opponents even Sullivan/Beasley, unlike ND this year squeaking by weak opponents. We just weren't quite there yet with the top of the Big 8. Unfortunately we were at the very top two years later when we got upset by an inferior ND team in the Sugar Bowl. That and the fact that it was ND and Ara who did it to us after we had been voted out of the '66 NC, are what made it so hard to endure and what made Monday night SO WONDERFUL!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Comparing Kelly to the whiny little girl mack brown is unfair - Kelly is actually talented. Give him wlgmb's roster and he'd be tough to beat, imo.
    DISCLAIMER: I hereby reserve the right to discuss any game on the Alabama schedule I wish, at any time during the season, as I am not a part of the Crimson Tide football program. I am simply a fan who has no impact outside of the money I provide the athletic department via ticket and memorabilia purchases and the energy I can provide when I attend the games. 2009-2014, crimsonaudio

Lurch Backwater!

Quote Originally Posted by OreBama View Post
    ND basically recruits for itself.
    Does it? Rivals rankings over the last five years:
    2009: #21
    2010: #14
    2011: #10
    2012: #20
    2013: #1(currently)

Granted, those are good classes for teams that suck, but those aren't remotely close to adequate numbers if we're talking about competing for championships. If Kelly can start consistently getting top 5 classes he has a real shot.
    DISCLAIMER: I hereby reserve the right to discuss any game on the Alabama schedule I wish, at any time during the season, as I am not a part of the Crimson Tide football program. I am simply a fan who has no impact outside of the money I provide the athletic department via ticket and memorabilia purchases and the energy I can provide when I attend the games. 2009-2014, crimsonaudio

Lurch Backwater!