Does Notre Dame recover from such an epic beat down.?

TDBama78

All-American
Jul 11, 2007
Beat downs like this from Bama put you at the fork in the road, like Tx. , they havent recovered yet.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The beat down is not ND's problem. IMO, they showed they still haven't closed the gap in athletic talent to compete on the big stage with SEC teams.
Agree - the loss isn't their problem. They need more talent - lots more. 20+ years of poor recruiting will take a few more years to overcome, but Kelly is satrting to make a difference.

CapstoneGrad06

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2006
Houston, Texas
I actually think Bryan Kelly is a much more strong willed coach than Mack Brown. He's also still in the process of building his program, unlike Mack Brown in 2009 at Texas. He isn't going to rest on laurels that aren't there.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Texas's problem is far different - it is Mack Brown but it's deeper than that. Despite what people say about us, and what we all say about Notre Dame, there is not a more entitled program out there than Texas. So entitled... yet they've accomplished little over the course of their history except to dominate the SWC. That's a mindset that runs very deep in that program. Mack Brown has done absolutely nothing to combat, in fact, he fell prey to it years ago. The Alabama loss may have broken Brown, but he would have been broken sooner or later anyway. His recruiting is lazy. His player development is lazy also.

Notre Dame, much as I hate it, will probably be fine if the early returns on Kelly's recruiting efforts are true.

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
Kelly is a good coach and the brand is solid. They'll be good. Not sure if they'll make another title game soon.

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
Not sure if Texas is a good comparison. They didn't use the game to learn and grow.
They would have won if Colt hadn't gone down. :wink:

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
Notre Dame, much as I hate it, will probably be fine if the early returns on Kelly's recruiting efforts are true.
Kelly is a good coach and the brand is solid. They'll be good. Not sure if they'll make another title game soon.
Basically agreed with these. I would predict another title game for them soon due to a good coach and an improving team coupled with inflated polls, etc., but the playoff scenarios may complicate that.

OreBama

All-American
Sep 26, 2005
Portland, OR
BK is a great coach and ND basically recruits for itself. I think Kelly is smart enough to pick the right players for what he needs and ND, unfortunately, will not be going away anytime soon.

Texas is like the smoking hot girl that thinks just because she's hot that she doesn't need to be a decent person. Just throwing that out there.

Rasputin

Suspended
Apr 15, 2008
Alabama's defeat of Texas isn't why they haven't recovered since.

The reason Texas hasn't recovered is because Mack Brown is their head coach!

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Beat downs like this from Bama put you at the fork in the road, like Tx. , they havent recovered yet.
For teams that don't internalize the emotional effects they can come out okay by using it to determine what they need to do to get to that level. Kelly seemed to grasp that even in the first half. Mich St improved the next year and we made them look ridiculous. Of course it didn't carry over to this year for them.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
BK is a great coach and ND basically recruits for itself. I think Kelly is smart enough to pick the right players for what he needs and ND, unfortunately, will not be going away anytime soon.

Texas is like the smoking hot girl that thinks just because she's hot that she doesn't need to be a decent person. Just throwing that out there.

He's been there three years and though I won't argue ND recruits for itself. Is it recruiting the quality of talent to stay on the field with the elite? Because what I saw Monday night leads me to believe they have a LOOOOOOOOONG ways to go. I mean, that game reminded me of the Capital One Bowl against Michigan St. The difference in athletic talent was so obvious it was boarder line embarrassing they even charged people admission to watch that. That's what it looked like Monday night.

Monti Teo was supposed to be one of the best linebackers to come out in a long time. He was overwhelmed by the speed and power of Alabama's offense. It was like that all across the field on both sides of the ball. I think Notre Dame has a longer haul than many think.

Carol91670

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 1, 2002
Paris, Texas, United States
Texas fans still believe that Bama ruined their program. There are a few posts at Shaggybevo.com in the BCS game thread about it. I can't remember exactly but something like 'Colt got hurt, Bama won and our program has been in a downward spiral ever since.' It's pathetic how entitled they think they are.

Last edited:

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
According to Rivals, Notre Dame finished the following in recruiting:

2006: #8
2007: #8
2008: #2
2009: #21
2010: #14
2011: #10
2012: #20

They've recruited top end talent, at least according to rivals. For whatever reason, that talent hasn't exactly panned out. They looked as slow as UK or Mizzu on Monday night.

OreBama

All-American
Sep 26, 2005
Portland, OR
He's been there three years and though I won't argue ND recruits for itself. Is it recruiting the quality of talent to stay on the field with the elite? Because what I saw Monday night leads me to believe they have a LOOOOOOOOONG ways to go. I mean, that game reminded me of the Capital One Bowl against Michigan St. The difference in athletic talent was so obvious it was boarder line embarrassing they even charged people admission to watch that. That's what it looked like Monday night.

Monti Teo was supposed to be one of the best linebackers to come out in a long time. He was overwhelmed by the speed and power of Alabama's offense. It was like that all across the field on both sides of the ball. I think Notre Dame has a longer haul than many think.
I agree with all that. No one recruits and develops talent that the top tier of the SEC does. Everyone else is second rate. Everyone else is really playing for second place.

However, ND can be a BCS bowl contender every year. The media loves them and gives them the benefit of the doubt.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
Basically agreed with these. I would predict another title game for them soon due to a good coach and an improving team coupled with inflated polls, etc., but the playoff scenarios may complicate that.
BINGO!

I don't think they make it back next year and once the playoff begins the rankings relative to lore and media hype will begin to fade away after a couple blowouts like Monday night. BCS advertising $$$$$ will push in effort to put the best product in the bracket.

RTR!!!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.