Does Notre Dame recover from such an epic beat down.?

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I agree with all that. No one recruits and develops talent that the top tier of the SEC does. Everyone else is second rate. Everyone else is really playing for second place.

However, ND can be a BCS bowl contender every year. The media loves them and gives them the benefit of the doubt.

Agreed. I guess I'm coming at it from a standpoint of can ND get back to actually being one of the best programs (on the field) in country. Personally, it starts with recruiting and development. If they cannot get players that can stay within half a step of the defender and the runner then they have no chance. Plain and simple.

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
We'll see. I don't think the loss, by itself, necessarily spells huge problems for ND. As others stated, CBK is recruiting and developing talent well. But there are problems:

-Speed. ND is slow. BIGX slow. Even with 2 classes under his belt there were no explosives players on the field for ND. No FR/SO made me say....wow, that kid is gonna be good. Their QB showed none of the play making skills of other mobile QBs he had been compared to. Their best REC is a TE that had no impact on the game. Their 2 best defenders (Manti, Nix) got manhandled. ND is at least another 2 years away, imo, from being ready to compete with nations elite right now.

-CBK's tenure. How long does he stay? Does he have NFL aspirations? If he leaves in the next 2-3 years then much of his progress could come undone.

-Maintaining. They've had success this year. Can they maintain it? They probably lucked into their situation this year. They could have very easily been a 3-4 loss team(with losses to a few inferior teams no less) and made no national noise at all. What is there to suggest that they will have success again next year? Making the BCS title game this year just intensifies the spot light and enlarges the target already on their backs that they have just by being ND.

I don't think its the loss that's going to cause them problems.....if anything, it will be the myth of their success this year that may do them in when they can't sustain it.

TDBama78

All-American
Jul 11, 2007
If im a nd player and watch the halftime interview and my coach says if the other team does not come back out we have a shot, i mean wow my coach has packed it in. Bryant would never say that, stallings ,saban, wouldnt either. Heck joe kines didnt say that kind of statement. Joke or no joke they wouldnt do it. Its not their nature. But kelley said it. It tells alittle bit about who he is. Kelley isnt a bad coach but i think monday was as close to a bcsnc that nd will get while kelley is there. He reminds me of tubbervile.

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
ND has a talent issue. I think the gameplan wasn't strong (keep 7 in the box on D; get the ball to Eifert at any cost), but they adjusted on offense and had success. They tried to adjust on D with run blitzes and bringing a safety up, but their defensive woes were lack of athletic ability and quality depth. They didn't stumble into being 12-0; they just never faced a team as athletic as ours (USC doesn't count when the coach wastes the talent and OU has been notoriously soft recently). It's taken UT a while to recover because they never had that elite QB again; those spread read-option offenses require an elite QB (Tebow, Cam, Johnny Football, Vince, Colt McCoy). I think ND has a better coach than UT. On a side note, it's scary to think what CNS could do at a place with built in recruiting and the resources of UT or USC; we have the financial resources, but we have to recruit out of state well to get a top class.

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
I don't think the loss hurt Notre Dame at all. They're sort of in the unique position of being able to simultaneously offer recruits immediate playing time and a chance to play for a championship.

Kelly is a very good coach and with Southern Cal in such a turmoil, ND has a decent shot to go unbeaten again in the near future. Next time, ND might get lucky and be matched up against a much less physical & disciplined team.

Last edited:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
If im a nd player and watch the halftime interview and my coach says if the other team does not come back out we have a shot, i mean wow my coach has packed it in. Bryant would never say that, stallings ,saban, wouldnt either. Heck joe kines didnt say that kind of statement. Joke or no joke they wouldnt do it. Its not their nature. But kelley said it. It tells alittle bit about who he is. Kelley isnt a bad coach but i think monday was as close to a bcsnc that nd will get while kelley is there. He reminds me of tubbervile.
I don't know. I'm not sure Coach Stallings, Saban or Bryant was ever in a game where their players were that much inferior to the opponent. I mean, we get on Coach Kelly but did you hear the entire ESPN panel at halftime? The looks on their faces along with their comments reflected that of Brian Kelly. I personally think people watching the game on tv (rather than being there) didn't get the full effect of how physically out manned ND was. Urban point blank said, when asked what he would do in the second half, "I don't know if there's anything you can do."

I think if adjustments could be made Brian Kelly would have made them. But I think inferiority of talent was so great at too many positions to compensate with scheme. And that's what the ESPN halftime panel was saying over and over. I guess being too honest is what we could get on him for, and he should of just spewed out some cliche coach speak. But the reality of it is, those players that are coming back need to know (if they don't already) "We've got to get better. We've got to work harder." When you admit reality you can make progress.

TDBama78

All-American
Jul 11, 2007
I don't know. I'm not sure Coach Stallings, Saban or Bryant was ever in a game where their players were that much inferior to the opponent. I mean, we get on Coach Kelly but did you hear the entire ESPN panel at halftime? The looks on their faces along with their comments reflected that of Brian Kelly. I personally think people watching the game on tv (rather than being there) didn't get the full effect of how physically out manned ND was. Urban point blank said, when asked what he would do in the second half, "I don't know if there's anything you can do."

I think if adjustments could be made Brian Kelly would have made them. But I think inferiority of talent was so great at too many positions to compensate with scheme. And that's what the ESPN halftime panel was saying over and over. I guess being too honest is what we could get on him for, and he should of just spewed out some cliche coach speak. But the reality of it is, those players that are coming back need to know (if they don't already) "We've got to get better. We've got to work harder." When you admit reality you can make progress.
I agree.
mo they took a worse psychological beating than a physical beating and both were pretty severe. I think rebuilding them psychologically will be tough. Time will tell.

BamaFossil

All-American
Jun 3, 2008
Williamsburg, VA
Conference champions that go undefeated and then lose in the NC can at least look back and say "We won the conference championship!" They have something to show for all their hard work and regular season success. For ND, it's national championship or nothing. This year ND finished the regular season 12-0 and have nothing to show for it. That's gotta' be deflating. Furthermore, if they're in the championship game again in the near future, the players could be wound tight as a tick as they (a) contemplate playing in another all-or-nothing game; and (b) realize the SEC team they're about to face may well bring a higher level game to the table than what they've seen all year.

So yes, I agree the psychological aspect could be tough for them.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
They lose WAY too many seniors to make it back next year.
We can relate to that prediction.

Notre Dame, the only team ever to go from unranked to #1 at season's end. Auburn had a more impressive year when they ended up 3rd imo.

But they won absolutely nothing, no conference championship. They did win a swift kick in the arse I guess.

Tidetwin

All-American
May 15, 2006
Northeast Georgia

Orange Bowl, 1972 - #1 Nebraska 38, #2 UA 6. I flashed back to the game continually while the Irish took the beating. I and other Bama fans who watched that earlier fiasco could certainly empathize..

Last edited:

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Beat downs like this from Bama put you at the fork in the road, like Tx. , they havent recovered yet.
LSU hasn't recovered either -- in fact -- I heard that when Les got on the SEC Elevator -- the only buttons he could push were "DOWN", "WAY DOWN" and "AUBURN"

1958againbear

1st Team
Jan 27, 2011
Orange Bowl, 1972 - #1 Nebraska 38, #2 UA 6. I flashed back to the game continually while the Irish took the beating. I and other Bama fans who watched that earlier fiasco could certainly empathize..
I don't mean to empathize with ND and certainly not their fans but under the circumstances they had an excellent season until Monday. Unfortunately for them they were overrated and greatly overmatched. It does harken back to our '71 season and the beating we took from Nebraska. I took that loss hard at the time but eventually was consoled some by the fact that Nebraska, Oklahoma, and maybe Colorado were just that much better than everybody else even with Bear on our sideline. The difference is that we were a dominant team in '71 wiping out our opponents even Sullivan/Beasley, unlike ND this year squeaking by weak opponents. We just weren't quite there yet with the top of the Big 8. Unfortunately we were at the very top two years later when we got upset by an inferior ND team in the Sugar Bowl. That and the fact that it was ND and Ara who did it to us after we had been voted out of the '66 NC, are what made it so hard to endure and what made Monday night SO WONDERFUL!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Comparing Kelly to the whiny little girl mack brown is unfair - Kelly is actually talented. Give him wlgmb's roster and he'd be tough to beat, imo.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
ND basically recruits for itself.
Does it? Rivals rankings over the last five years:
2009: #21
2010: #14
2011: #10
2012: #20
2013: #1(currently)

Granted, those are good classes for teams that suck, but those aren't remotely close to adequate numbers if we're talking about competing for championships. If Kelly can start consistently getting top 5 classes he has a real shot.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.