Link: Bama Passing Analysis vs. ND

formersoldier71

All-American
May 9, 2004
Jasper, AL
Interesting link for those who like the x's & o's.

The first play is the long pass to near the goal line on our third TD drive. The second play is our first pass of the night.

A.J. McCarron and Alabama put it on Notre Dame last night to win their second straight BCS National Championship. With the Irish playing some Cover 2 (and Cover 6: Quarter, Quarter, Half), the Tide ran a base 2-Deep beater (Flat-7) to produce in the passing game. Let’s go back to the video and breakdown some coaching points from last night’s matchup.
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/How-did-Alabamas-McCarron-beat-up-Notre-Dames-Cover-2.html

Last edited:

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA

The first play is the long pass to near the goal line on our third TD drive. The play is our first pass of the night.

In a couple of back and forths with ND fans on this forum I mentioned that their DB's wouldn't be able to cover our WR's and I'd be surprised if we didn't attack them on a regular basis vertically.

ND lost most of their experienced DB's to injury early on and was using converted WR's. Their front 7 shielded them from outright exposure all year much like our lack of consistent pass rush made our DB's look weaker than they really are.

Kevin4Bama

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2005
Theodore, Alabama, United States

The first play is the long pass to near the goal line on our third TD drive. The play is our first pass of the night.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/How-did-Alabamas-McCarron-beat-up-Notre-Dames-Cover-2.html
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but our first pass of the night was the second play of the game. About 29 yards to Norwood.

EDIT: Nevermind, I see you probably meant to say the 2nd one was our first pass of the night.

Last edited:

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
That's interesting, although the important point for me on both of these completions is that McCarron put it where no-one else had a chance, and both receivers made great grabs.

formersoldier71

All-American
May 9, 2004
Jasper, AL
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but our first pass of the night was the second play of the game. About 29 yards to Norwood.

EDIT: Nevermind, I see you probably meant to say the 2nd one was our first pass of the night.
No, I meant to say that the second play was our first pass of the night.

:wink:

Thanks. Fixed it.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
In a couple of back and forths with ND fans on this forum I mentioned that their DB's wouldn't be able to cover our WR's and I'd be surprised if we didn't attack them on a regular basis vertically.

ND lost most of their experienced DB's to injury early on and was using converted WR's. Their front 7 shielded them from outright exposure all year much like our lack of consistent pass rush made our DB's look weaker than they really are.
AJ overthrew Coop by a step or two on two or three passes. Coop split both safeties and had them beat. Had the ball been a few inches shorter, Coop walks in both times.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Yeah, I've said on other sites that it was impressive that we really didn't get out of "our offense." We just did what we've always done well at a high level. No tricks, no weird formations...just pretty common singleback offense things. The "Flat-7" mentioned in this article is a staple in the pros and college. The two biggest adjustments to ND I saw were:

1) An occasional widened OL splits. Certainly not Mike Leach's idea of wide splits but a little wider than we do in my memory.

2) We pulled our guard on play action passes nearly every time. We've done this before but not to the level seen in the BCSCG.

I'm guessing the slightly widened splits were to effect some of the things they do with their down linemen since they got the majority of their pressure from the linemen. The pulling guard on play passes has always been something I like. When they say you look at the linemen to determine if it is run or pass...it's not so much the pre-snap stance but the offensive linemen's first step at the snap. The pulling action is the ultimate sell job on a play fake and probably something they saw effected ND the most.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
AJ overthrew Coop by a step or two on two or three passes. Coop split both safeties and had them beat. Had the ball been a few inches shorter, Coop walks in both times.
Those were frustrating to watch. You always think Coop will be able to run it down...

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
Those were frustrating to watch. You always think Coop will be able to run it down...
my takeaway from those 2 deep passes....Coop needs to learn how to make a dive at the ball, they were both catchable if he laid out for them.

...he's going to be fun to watch as he improves with experience and coaching.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.