Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

The All-Saban Alabama Team

I've been a frequent visitor to tidefans for years and I thought it was time to get involved. With the dust beginning to settle on the season, it feels like the right time to debate this question (which I don't think has been posted before)…

Who would you include in an All-Saban team from his time at Alabama?

For the D I've just done it as the 3-4 base D, although I'd welcome any suggestions for the best Money or Star etc. Wanted to just make it 11 on each side (hence no slot receiver etc)

After the latest season it's getting harder and harder to pick, but here goes…

QB - AJ McCarron (This one isn't really up for debate anymore)

RB - Trent Richardson (Ridiculous to leave the Heisman winner off the first team, but I would put him behind the runner Richardson was in the 2nd NC winning squad). Ingram would be my backup, just ahead of Lacy (partly due to Lacy's problems with health)

HB - Brad Smelley

WR - Julio Jones

WR - Amari Cooper (Tough to leave off Maze, but Cooper is just phenomenal. Everything he does is so smooth. I think he becomes the greatest WR of the modern era by the end of his career.)

TE - Michael Williams

LT - Andre Smith (To be honest I'd probably rather have Cyrus, but I guess I wanted to not make it simply the 2012 line! Plus Andre in his prime - and when his mind was engaged - was well ahead of the talent that was on the roster in Saban's early days. I fully expect Cyrus to be the only choice by the end of next year)

LG - Chance Warmack (I hate to leave off a leader like Mike Johnson, but Warmack is just too dominant for there to be any debate)

C - William Vlachos (This is really just the way I've chosen to do it for organization, and I think B Jones was better, but Vlachos was Center for 2 NC wins so he deserves to be included. Very difficult to leave off Antoine Caldwell too)

RG - Barrett Jones (Placed him here because it was a toss up between Vlachos and Steen... gotta make good use of his versatility!)

RT - DJ Fluker

* The fact that I can leave off Carpenter, Cyrus K, Steen, Caldwell and Mike Johnson shows how unbelievably good our O-Line has been since Saban got here.

Defence

DE's - Wallace Gilberry and Marcel Dareus (So much for the argument about no pass rush from the DE position)

NG - Terrance Cody (Love Jesse W, it's another toss up, just think that as a pure NG Cody was slightly better, although obviously Williams can do so much more)

Jack - Courtney Upshaw

Sam - Jerrell Harris (Maybe a strange choice, but by the end of his career I think he was playing at a very high level. Reamer was more consistent for longer though. Dickson played well this year, although I'm not sure he was playing purely Sam?)

Will - Dont'a Hightower

Mike - Rolando McClain (Mosley will probably change this by the time he's finished, but I loved the combination of Hightower and McClain together. Although McClain's subsequent career is making it harder for me to remember the good days)

CB - Dre Kirkpatrick and Dee Milliner (Love Arenas and Jackson, but I think these two are the best corners that we've had. Certainly on the boundary anyway, I guess Arenas would be the Star in my team)

Safety - I always get mixed up about FS and SS… so I'll just pick Mark Barron and Rashad Johnson. Those two together would look good to me. Robert Lester has been solid, and obviously was better for longer than Johnson, but I think he plateaued at Alabama a little bit. The way Clinton-Dix played in the NC game makes me think that these picks might change next year though.

K - Leigh Tiffin (His senior year made up for everything)

P - Cody Mandell (He's getting better and better)

P/KR - Javier Arenas (I hate to leave Maze off the team, but Arenas was a special returner)

Long debut post! What are you guys thoughts?

2. Advertisement
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: The All-Saban Alabama Team

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Howard View Post
    I've been a frequent visitor to tidefans for years and I thought it was time to get involved. With the dust beginning to settle on the season, it feels like the right time to debate this question (which I don't think has been posted before)…

Who would you include in an All-Saban team from his time at Alabama?

For the D I've just done it as the 3-4 base D, although I'd welcome any suggestions for the best Money or Star etc. Wanted to just make it 11 on each side (hence no slot receiver etc)

After the latest season it's getting harder and harder to pick, but here goes…

QB - AJ McCarron (This one isn't really up for debate anymore)

RB - Trent Richardson (Ridiculous to leave the Heisman winner off the first team, but I would put him behind the runner Richardson was in the 2nd NC winning squad). Ingram would be my backup, just ahead of Lacy (partly due to Lacy's problems with health)

HB - Brad Smelley

WR - Julio Jones

WR - Amari Cooper (Tough to leave off Maze, but Cooper is just phenomenal. Everything he does is so smooth. I think he becomes the greatest WR of the modern era by the end of his career.)

TE - Michael Williams

LT - Andre Smith (To be honest I'd probably rather have Cyrus, but I guess I wanted to not make it simply the 2012 line! Plus Andre in his prime - and when his mind was engaged - was well ahead of the talent that was on the roster in Saban's early days. I fully expect Cyrus to be the only choice by the end of next year)

LG - Chance Warmack (I hate to leave off a leader like Mike Johnson, but Warmack is just too dominant for there to be any debate)

C - William Vlachos (This is really just the way I've chosen to do it for organization, and I think B Jones was better, but Vlachos was Center for 2 NC wins so he deserves to be included. Very difficult to leave off Antoine Caldwell too)

RG - Barrett Jones (Placed him here because it was a toss up between Vlachos and Steen... gotta make good use of his versatility!)

RT - DJ Fluker

* The fact that I can leave off Carpenter, Cyrus K, Steen, Caldwell and Mike Johnson shows how unbelievably good our O-Line has been since Saban got here.

Defence

DE's - Wallace Gilberry and Marcel Dareus (So much for the argument about no pass rush from the DE position)

NG - Terrance Cody (Love Jesse W, it's another toss up, just think that as a pure NG Cody was slightly better, although obviously Williams can do so much more)

Jack - Courtney Upshaw

Sam - Jerrell Harris (Maybe a strange choice, but by the end of his career I think he was playing at a very high level. Reamer was more consistent for longer though. Dickson played well this year, although I'm not sure he was playing purely Sam?)

Will - Dont'a Hightower

Mike - Rolando McClain (Mosley will probably change this by the time he's finished, but I loved the combination of Hightower and McClain together. Although McClain's subsequent career is making it harder for me to remember the good days)

CB - Dre Kirkpatrick and Dee Milliner (Love Arenas and Jackson, but I think these two are the best corners that we've had. Certainly on the boundary anyway, I guess Arenas would be the Star in my team)

Safety - I always get mixed up about FS and SS… so I'll just pick Mark Barron and Rashad Johnson. Those two together would look good to me. Robert Lester has been solid, and obviously was better for longer than Johnson, but I think he plateaued at Alabama a little bit. The way Clinton-Dix played in the NC game makes me think that these picks might change next year though.

K - Leigh Tiffin (His senior year made up for everything)

P - Cody Mandell (He's getting better and better)

P/KR - Javier Arenas (I hate to leave Maze off the team, but Arenas was a special returner)

Long debut post! What are you guys thoughts?
    Pretty good bunch right there and would be hard to beat. Of course the All Saban 2nd team would be strong as well. RTR

BamaNation Hall of Fame CajunCrimson's Avatar
    My Mood
    Busy on TideFans.com

I think Shelley may have surpassed Leigh -- but we'll reanalyze after this year.

One of our players that I think just never got much "props" was Peek at TE -- I sure wish we had had him for 4 years.....great hands for a big guy

Great list and welcome!
    Raj: Excuse me, I can't be drinking, I'm about to make an important scientific discovery here!
    Howard:What? Galileo did his best work while drinking wine!
    Raj: How do you know that?
    Howard: He was Italian, it's a reasonable assumption.
    Raj: Dude, can you even open your mouth without saying a cultural stereotype?
    Howard: I'm sorry Galileo drank diet sprite!

real nice list and welcome to the forum

i'll go lester over rashad simply because of how many games he played and started the last 3 years. Ha Ha and Collins will have a say about this in a few years though

TE i guess it has to be Williams although I think we all expect OJ Howard to take over that position for at least the next 3 years

Harris is a tough one. He played some great ball last year but started his career slower than expected. I thought he was really the unsung hero of last year's team

I'd say Cooper has another year before he can eclipse Maze. I don't believe Maze missed a game in his final 3 years and was so pivotal on returns to giving us great field position last year

I think you have to put Jones at center and Steen at RG. When it's all said and done Steen could start as many as 39 starts for the Tide (he's got 25 already).

Agree with Smith over Cyrus but if CyKo can stay healthy through the 2013 season he's real close to Andre

No doubt Arenas over Maze for returner but I've got high hopes that Robert Foster eclipses them both. We'll see...

What's most impressive about this list is that you could do a completely different second list and still have a championship caliber team.

Quote Originally Posted by mrusso View Post
    What's most impressive about this list is that you could do a completely different second list and still have a championship caliber team.
    That's exactly what I thought when I was doing it. It's really incredible to think about how many players have already had historically good careers during Coach Saban's tenure.

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

The All-Saban Alabama Team

I would take Kareem Jackson over Kirkpatrick.
    ROLL TIDE!

Awesome idea! Here's my 2 cents..with my 1st and 2nd string guys

QB - AJ McCarron - G. McElroy
    RB - T. Richardson - G. Coffee
    RB - M. Ingram - T. Yeldon
    TE/HB - Travis McCall - Holla McGhee (I forget his real name)
    WR - J. Jones - DJ Hall
    WR - A. Cooper - Keith Brown
    LT - Andre Smith - C.Kouandjio
    LG - Chance Warmack - Barrett Jones
    C - Barrett Jones - W. Vlachos
    RG - Marlon Davis - A. Caldwell
    RT - DJ Fluker - Mike Johnson
    DE - Lorenzo Washington - Damien Square
    DE - Marcel Dareus - B. Deadrick
    DT - Terrance Cody - N. Gentry
    LB - Eryk Anders - C. Upshaw
    LB - Rolando McClain - N. Johnson
    LB - Dont'a Hightower - C. Mosley
    CB - Kareem Jackson - D. Kirkpatrick
    CB - Dee Milliner - M. Johnson
    CB - Javier Arenas - Javier Arenas (twice on purpose. No one has played that Star position better)
    SS - Mark Barron - J. Woodall
    FS - Rashad Johnson - R. Lester

PR/KR - Javier Arenas - Julio Jones
    K - L. Tiffin - J. Shelley
    P - PJ Fitzgerald - The current guy. Forgot his name
    Last edited by WMack4Bama; January 9th, 2013 at 04:52 PM.
    "I didn't come to Alabama to win 10 games a year and be a contender. I came here to win championships. Conference championships and national championships. I love it here because that's just not what I want, but what this fanbase expects."
    --Alabama Head Football Coach, Nick Saban

“Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on it’s ability to climb a tree, it will spend it’s whole life believing it is stupid.” — Albert Einstein

A couple of years ago, Saban remarked that AJ was the best QB he'd ever recruited. I had my doubts when I first heard that...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

BamaNation Hall of Fame Alasippi's Avatar

Gotta give this some thought. Too fresh off the title game.

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    A couple of years ago, Saban remarked that AJ was the best QB he'd ever recruited. I had my doubts when I first heard that...
    Nothing like a pop on the butt to get him on his way, huh?

At St. Paul's he was a really good QB. Glad he was able to grow in the system and blossom.

My Mood
    Angry on TideFans.com

If Eddie comes back, three-way tie for runningback...

Mark Ingram
    Trent Richardson
    Eddie Lacy

Quote Originally Posted by JBama_in_PCOLA View Post
    Nothing like a pop on the butt to get him on his way, huh?

At St. Paul's he was a really good QB. Glad he was able to grow in the system and blossom.
    I've been excited about his potential since we started to recruit him. But he's got a chance to do something that I don't think anyone thought was possible. It's incredible.

If the O-Line can rebuild/reload then it's going to be fun watching him throw it around next year.