Johnny Manziel at BCS Title Game on Alabama sideline

Status
Not open for further replies.

BamafanNPC

3rd Team
Jan 3, 2007
Pell City, AL
In the Birmingham BCS special edition Tuesday, it quoted him on Twitter saying "I have all the respect for Notre Dame and Manti Teo, but I got to say it. ROLL TIDE!" I can respect him for that, and think it was pretty cool of him to say.

BamaDude06

1st Team
Sep 15, 2006
I don't think they ever actually said he was on the Bama sideline. They were mentioning who ND and Bama did have and Manziel's name was just thrown in as being there.

TDBama78

All-American
Jul 11, 2007
In the Birmingham BCS special edition Tuesday, it quoted him on Twitter saying "I have all the respect for Notre Dame and Manti Teo, but I got to say it. ROLL TIDE!" I can respect him for that, and think it was pretty cool of him to say.
He should write coach moore a big check one day cause Alabama made him the celebrity he is today.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
I was on the same flight as Manziel Sunday morning from DFW-FLL. I briefly spoke to him on the plane and while waiting for my luggage after the flight. He was really nice and down to earth. He did say "ROLL TIDE" and predicted we would beat ND handily.

TDBama78

All-American
Jul 11, 2007
I believe it is Johnny's playing ability that has made him the celebrity that he is today.:smile:
Hes good alright. No doubt. But if bama gets a w against atm we're not having this conversation

Last edited:

skrayper77

All-American
Sep 4, 2003
Let's be fair.

Johnny deserves a lot of accolades. Even when pressured, he made pinpoint throws and did everything his team needed.

That said, he will likely be pressured a LOT more next year, and our defense will be seasoned. If our secondary is ready and able to cover, I think that we can force him into a lot of situations that favor us more than him.

I assume nothing, however. He will get his points against us. The only thing, for me, is that they lose so much more.

3 of their starting WRs (including Swope)
Starting TE
Starting Center
Possibly both starting Tackles

On defense:
DL starter
DE started dAMontre Moore (highly rated player)
2 of their starting LBs
Starting FS, and starting CB

Basically, they lose their best defensive player, their best wide out, a ton of experience at LB, a ton of experience in the secondary, and a lot of talent and experience on the offensive line.

It will be Johnny next year - all or nothing. He will have nearly none of the supporting cast that helped out this year.

Don't get me wrong - he's a phenomenal talent, but I honestly don't think their D is going to keep them in the game no matter what he does. I expect we'll probably break 40 on them next year, especially with us getting them early in the year.

With LSU having so many players declaring, Auburn and Tennessee still a long ways off from competing, and the Mississippi schools, despite successes, still a ways off from us (not to mention Arky still needing some rebuilding time), and Alabama may have the easiest road we've had in a long time. I know that's saying a LOT, but I think A&M is our biggest threat and they lose so much on D and so much supporting cast on O...

willie52

All-American
Jan 25, 2008
Arab, AL
We have an off week before that game, so 2 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm pretty certain they are going to use some August practice time for A&M so I would think it will be more than 2 weeks but then again, CNS didn't start on the ND game until a week before, the other time was for basics.

AggieMom

Suspended
Nov 19, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Let's be fair.

Johnny deserves a lot of accolades. Even when pressured, he made pinpoint throws and did everything his team needed.

That said, he will likely be pressured a LOT more next year, and our defense will be seasoned. If our secondary is ready and able to cover, I think that we can force him into a lot of situations that favor us more than him.

I assume nothing, however. He will get his points against us. The only thing, for me, is that they lose so much more.

3 of their starting WRs (including Swope)
Starting TE
Starting Center
Possibly both starting Tackles

On defense:
DL starter
DE started dAMontre Moore (highly rated player)
2 of their starting LBs
Starting FS, and starting CB

Basically, they lose their best defensive player, their best wide out, a ton of experience at LB, a ton of experience in the secondary, and a lot of talent and experience on the offensive line.

It will be Johnny next year - all or nothing. He will have nearly none of the supporting cast that helped out this year.

Don't get me wrong - he's a phenomenal talent, but I honestly don't think their D is going to keep them in the game no matter what he does. I expect we'll probably break 40 on them next year, especially with us getting them early in the year.

With LSU having so many players declaring, Auburn and Tennessee still a long ways off from competing, and the Mississippi schools, despite successes, still a ways off from us (not to mention Arky still needing some rebuilding time), and Alabama may have the easiest road we've had in a long time. I know that's saying a LOT, but I think A&M is our biggest threat and they lose so much on D and so much supporting cast on O...
Your points are well taken. A&M is losing a lot of Senior talent - only two of those leaving at this point are declaring early and they are projected to be early 1st round. Last I heard AL has at least 3 early out. How many Seniors will they be losing? A&M has a number redshirts as well as players who saw limited time as backups. In case you havent heard, Sumlin is recruiting lights out, so is replenishing the stocks. Sumlin and staff were able to coach up a number of these players you are listing. Lewis, in spring ball, was in no way the center he was during the season. It has been well documented the strides that Moore made to become the early 1st round prospect. While I agree that Saban is a master at developing talent, he doesn't have the market cornered on that.

J4Bama

All-American
Mar 24, 2002
Sarasota, Florida
They were talking on tv before that game about how many former players each team could invite and this year both were given two "wild card" tickets to give to someone. I believe they said Alabama gave those tickets to Manziel and a guest. I thought it was a classy move on UA's part.

AggieMom

Suspended
Nov 19, 2012
Huntsville, AL
They were talking on tv before that game about how many former players each team could invite and this year both were given two "wild card" tickets to give to someone. I believe they said Alabama gave those tickets to Manziel and a guest. I thought it was a classy move on UA's part.

Absolutely agree - classy move!

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Alabama defense was confused early in the game vs A&M, especially the defensive line; maybe a little "over-coaching". Bama will do okay in the next game if the defense picks up where it left off and the offense doesn't let Texas A&M have the ball 3 times in the first quarter.

skrayper77

All-American
Sep 4, 2003
Your points are well taken. A&M is losing a lot of Senior talent - only two of those leaving at this point are declaring early and they are projected to be early 1st round. Last I heard AL has at least 3 early out. How many Seniors will they be losing? A&M has a number redshirts as well as players who saw limited time as backups. In case you havent heard, Sumlin is recruiting lights out, so is replenishing the stocks. Sumlin and staff were able to coach up a number of these players you are listing. Lewis, in spring ball, was in no way the center he was during the season. It has been well documented the strides that Moore made to become the early 1st round prospect. While I agree that Saban is a master at developing talent, he doesn't have the market cornered on that.
As it stands Fluker is the only one who declared early (though that's a big one, meaning 3 off our OL). No one else has declared early. We lose 2 more on the OL (Seniors), a couple of Sr TEs. I'm having trouble finding an updated 2-deep roster, however - the only one I've found so far is from the beginning of the season. Those did not list CJ as a starter either, so it's hard to tell. Dee Milliner has not yet declared... I'm assuming he will, unless the CB pool is just too deep this year or his draft status is not as promising as we would think it should be.

Basically, if our OL comes along our offense will be sick. Our D loses two off the line (Williams and Sentimore), but Ivory backed up Williams pretty dang well this year. Our secondary so far only loses Lester, and both Ha Ha Clinton-Dix and Vinnie Sunseri are in the same role as him, as well as talented Landon Collins. Our RB corps will be the deepest in college football next year.

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
It was actually 5 "wild card" sideline passes, according to the broadcasters. In that picture, you can see Manziel's around his neck. The announcers made a point to say that ND gave two of theirs to Jon Bon Jovi and someone else. They also said that Manziel got one of ours. It is nice to see that he spent the game with the boy in the press box. I think Manziel is a tremendous athlete and I like him a lot, but I think the outcome of the 2013 game will be a LOT different and it will be AJ McCarron who waltzes out a star.

AggiesMom: While Saban probably doesn't have the "market cornered" for snagging all of the top recruits, he does have the market cornered in DEVELOPING THEM. :) Mark Ingram was a 3* RB out of high school and we see how that turned out. I could go on and on with examples but I have to go blow dry my hair. Roll Tide!

AggieMom

Suspended
Nov 19, 2012
Huntsville, AL
It was actually 5 "wild card" sideline passes, according to the broadcasters. In that picture, you can see Manziel's around his neck. The announcers made a point to say that ND gave two of theirs to Jon Bon Jovi and someone else. They also said that Manziel got one of ours. It is nice to see that he spent the game with the boy in the press box. I think Manziel is a tremendous athlete and I like him a lot, but I think the outcome of the 2013 game will be a LOT different and it will be AJ McCarron who waltzes out a star.

AggiesMom: While Saban probably doesn't have the "market cornered" for snagging all of the top recruits, he does have the market cornered in DEVELOPING THEM. :) Mark Ingram was a 3* RB out of high school and we see how that turned out. I could go on and on with examples but I have to go blow dry my hair. Roll Tide!
Manziel was a 3* QB out of high school and we see how that turned out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.