Question: Were we rebuilding?

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Yeah, it was when it shouldn't have been. 2010 taught Bama a lot, what to do and what not to do!
i think saban learned a lot in 2010 as well.

it will be interesting to see how a and m handles the spotlight over the spring and summer and the hype leading up to our game in september.

CrimsonChuck

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 1999
Philadelphia, PA
In 2011, we had a dominating defense to make up for a rebuilding offense (other than the running game).
In 2012, we had a dominating offense to make up for a rebuilding defense.

hoopscoach

Dec 23, 2012
If you think back to what most pundits were saying at the end of last year this was supposed to be LSU's year since they had everybody coming back and we were losing so much talent. A few comments about this: First, there are no guarantees. Just because you have the most talent does not mean you will win it all (examples LSU 2012, Bama 2010). Second, based on CNS statements about exceeding expectations and things of the like he feels that this team maximized their potential. This to me demonstrates that while he and the team always work to win it all, he felt they had some serious gaps to fill in order to do it and there was at least some likelihood in his mind that that could cost them some games. I think when CNS retires he may look back at this team as his most satisfying effort based on what they had to do as a team to accomplish their goals.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
I read an article somewhere today, and I can't find it now, that this year was suppose to be a rebuilding year. We had a very small senior class and we were very young. The leadership was there though. I don't know if I necessarily agree with that, but it may be true. Does anyone else agree with 2012 being that kind of a year? If so, what does 2013 hold? Sweet 16?
This is a non-issue, imo. This is college ball, and every team loses players, and replaces them, every year. The losses may come from players moving on the the NFL, or maybe from graduations, transfers, dismissals, etc. Every team is in a way different from that of the previous year.
In short, we (and every other team) are always rebuilding.

Last edited:

DWiser

1st Team
Sep 21, 2003
Columbus, MS
I don't know if you guys are following, but our recruiting class is looking exceptional, to include howard (one of the best rb's ever apparently) and several OL guys avging 6'6 and such. We will be weakest experience wise there, but as always, I have faith in "the Process." This year was supposed to be our rebuilding year. We lost 8 in the draft, and 7 others signed as free agents. That's right sports fans....15 people lost to the NFL from 1 team. But as stated during the first game of the season by everyone's favorite dirty Uncle Musburger, "Alabama doesn't rebuild, they reload."

If we had gone 11-2 I would have been impressed this year, but nothing is ever good enough for Saban. So here we are, losing less people than last year.....lets see what happens. I know that Barrett Jones is....well, replaceable. Hopefully his understudy who he coached and mentored and saw playing time this year will be ready to continue his education on the front line next year. ROLL TIDE
(OJ) Howard is our highly rated TE prospect. I believe you are referring to Derrick Henry, who set the HS Rushing Record.

PalmBayBama

All-SEC
Oct 11, 2005
Palm Bay, FL
I don't see the DBs being depleted! Just losing Milliner and Lester.

Sent from Jay's iPhone
I'm not sure if depleted is the word I would have used, but Milliner will be hard to replace. He barely left the field this year and the rest of our _starting_ secondary was exposed at times by LSU, Texas A&M, and Georgia.

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
I'm not sure if depleted is the word I would have used, but Milliner will be hard to replace. He barely left the field this year and the rest of our _starting_ secondary was exposed at times by LSU, Texas A&M, and Georgia.
we were exposed to the eventual Heisman winner, the 1st SEC QB to pass for over 3,000 yards in 3 consecutive years, and a highly touted HS QB who finally had the game of his life at night in Baton Rouge against the #1 team who happened to defeat LSU 10 months prior in the BCSNCG. and yet Bama still won 2 of 3 and had a chance to win the 3rd one. :cool:

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
If we can rebuild the OL and DL a bit 2013 is going to be a ridiculous season!
I'm more concerned with the OL than the DL. Bama rotated a lot on the DL this past season ( Pagan, Dial/Stinson, Pettway, Lake, Ivory, Fanning, Devall). I think we will be fine and possibly faster. Tomlinson is a guy that I am looking foward to the most along with Fanning.

we were very very fortunate that our 5 starters were healthy for the most part with the exception of BJ late in the season.
and speaking of BJ, you just can't replace an AA who won the Rimington and Outland award without some lumps and add to the fact that he can practically play any position on the line. our depth is good, but the experience will take some time to gel. Cyrus and Steen coming back will help the others come along nicely.

PalmBayBama

All-SEC
Oct 11, 2005
Palm Bay, FL
we were exposed to the eventual Heisman winner, the 1st SEC QB to pass for over 3,000 yards in 3 consecutive years, and a highly touted HS QB who finally had the game of his life at night in Baton Rouge against the #1 team who happened to defeat LSU 10 months prior in the BCSNCG. and yet Bama still won 2 of 3 and had a chance to win the 3rd one. :cool:
All three of those QBs return next season. I'm not saying the sky is falling, just that some guys need to step up.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Remember 2010. Those db's that seemed lost at times (were exposed, as one might say) came back with another year of experience and shut down opposing passing in 2011. We lost a ton from that 2011 team, this team is a lot like 2010 - lots of raw talent. Just wait and see - the secondary will be a strength next season...

Last edited:

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
When I said last year you would see the ball in the air a lot I was told if you think you are going to see Air Bama you are crazy.

Well I'm crazy again except this time I don't think it will be 50/50 run pass.

Give the time & the talent we have look for Coach Nuss to help AJ make a real run for the Heisman.
love TJ love all the backs coming back Love it we will have Henry.

But our coaches will play to their strengths.

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
I read an article somewhere today, and I can't find it now, that this year was suppose to be a rebuilding year. We had a very small senior class and we were very young. The leadership was there though. I don't know if I necessarily agree with that, but it may be true. Does anyone else agree with 2012 being that kind of a year? If so, what does 2013 hold? Sweet 16?
What do you mean by "sweet 16"? If you are talking about Coach Grant, no way.

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
The challenge on the 2013 schedule appears to be Tamu and the SEC title game. The 2013 will rise or fall with the success of the O line. It usually takes a while for an O line to mesh and that is my biggest worry. I think sweet 16 is very possible.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I'm not worried about Arie K at guard. Kelly should be decent at center. Right tackle is the biggest concern and I think a JUCO (which we have a lot of success with) is replacing Fluker.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
It's like the football quote.
We weren't 'Rebuilding', we were 'Reloading'.

2012 Was projected to be another 'Down Year' for us due to the players we lost in last years draft. (Like 2010?) WRONG.
Prognosticators thought since we didn't have big name players coming back,
we would suffer.

The good news is that, this is projected to be a 'Pretty Good Year' for us.
I expect Coach Saban is off the 'Hot Seat' for another year. ;)

Now we have to guard against complacency.
We ain't won anything for this coming season....
#15 is history... Great history, but still history.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.