Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Amazed on TideFans.com

Re: ND Fans still talking smack opposing fans return the favor!

Quote Originally Posted by pyro View Post
    You know, there is some interesting things in those links.

I will say I would like to see some of those games mentioned in there. I my self would like to see something on the ranks of Florida vs Michigan in Michigan with cold weather. (I mean actually cold, such as 25F with snow flying through the air not 45F with fair sky) I think it would be great to watch if an SEC team could perform under conditions of harsh winter weather.

Here is a hypothetical question just for fun (since I know it want really happen) How do yall think Alabama could do in “winter wonderland" conditions, lets say Alabama at Wisconsin, 24F with six inches of snow on the ground (so there is actually snow on the field not just flying in the air.)

Just a thought...
    We'll never see these cold weather games because of how the conference schedules are made. Look at the B1G schedule, for example. They play all of their nonconference games the first 4 weeks of the season. Then they play conference games for the next 8 straight. 'Bama is going north to Michigan St. in 2016 or 2017, but that game will be played in September. The B1G probably will not change this scheduling format. However, the conferences had an opportunity to have cold weather nonconference games by playing the semifinals on campus with the new playoff format, but passed.

It's funny that the fans of those schools harp about how the SEC is afraid to come north in November when, in truth, it's because of how their conference makes out the schedule.
    "If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them." - As Candidus in the Boston Gazette, January 20, 1772

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame cbi1972's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Shocked on TideFans.com

The academic reputation of the entire Midwest must be called into question for wanting to do anything outdoors in subzero weather.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere
    "When a loaf of bread looks like a banquet, I've no right buying tobacco. " - Grandpa Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Apprehensive on TideFans.com

ND could not have beaten UGA, LSU, FL, SC, or TX A&M this year. The finish at best 3rd or 4th in each division.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Inspired on TideFans.com

I will say I would like to see some of those games mentioned in there. I my self would like to see something on the ranks of Florida vs Michigan in Michigan with cold weather. (I mean actually cold, such as 25F with snow flying through the air not 45F with fair sky) I think it would be great to watch if an SEC team could perform under conditions of harsh winter weather.

Here is a hypothetical question just for fun (since I know it want really happen) How do yall think Alabama could do in winter wonderland" conditions, lets say Alabama at Wisconsin, 24F with six inches of snow on the ground (so there is actually snow on the field not just flying in the air.)

Just a thought...
    Yeah, but how many times do they actually play in these conditions? Most of the time, late November in Big Ten country is fairly mild. Every now and then they'll have harsh cold and snow. But that usually waits until December, right? Except for maybe Minnesota and maybe Wisconsin.

That ignores the fact, which has already been stated, that the Big Ten refuses to play non-conference games after September. This is a Big Ten/Notre Dame problem. Not ours.

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is a hypothetical question just for fun (since I know it want really happen) How do yall think Alabama could do in “winter wonderland" conditions, lets say Alabama at Wisconsin, 24F with six inches of snow on the ground (so there is actually snow on the field not just flying in the air.)

Just a thought...
    We played ND in 1976 at South Bend Nov 13th and lost 18-21. We also played ND in 1987 at South Bend Nov 14th and lost 6-37. We played Penn State numerous times at State College during October and November, winning some and losing some.

We played Boston College in 1983 at Foxboro Nov 25th and lost 13-20 and I believe this was the game where the field was frozen and most of the broadcast went out due to weather and technical problems. Coach Bryant's last game against Illinois in the Liberty Bowl was pretty cold as I recall.

You young folks may not know but it used to get cold down south in October and November. We played high school games in South Alabama where it was below freezing. No snow but cold as a witches you know what. I can confirm global warming just from my own life experiences
    Last edited by BigBama76; January 10th, 2013 at 10:27 AM.

BamaNation First Team CrimsonCrusade's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Indiana is hardly the far north.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant. (Let them hate, so long as they fear.)" - Lucius Accicus

BamaNation All-American Bad Pony's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Some of the funniest stuff I have seen is on the Michigan State Rivals board, majority of those guys hate ND with a passion and it makes for comic gold in the game thread they had going on.

BamaNation All-SEC bamagradinATL's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Pony View Post
    Some of the funniest stuff I have seen is on the Michigan State Rivals board, majority of those guys hate ND with a passion and it makes for comic gold in the game thread they had going on.
    Link please??? :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Pony View Post
    Funny, the best butt kicking I remember us giving of late was the 2010 game against Michigan State. We made their butts quit.

BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JBama_in_PCOLA View Post
    We've gone north. We showed Penn State mercy in their own house.

for full disclosure that game in Penn State was played in early september, so it was hardly played in winter conditions, but, it wouldnt have mattered if it was due to the comments so eloquently stated by our friend, B1GTide.

BamaNation Hall of Fame CapstoneGrad06's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I love how they complain about SEC programs not playing "up north", but overlook that Alabama played a home-and-home with Penn State and have another scheduled with Michigan State for 2016-2017.
    "Each play has a history and a life of its own. How is that play going to be remembered? If you're focusing on that play and what you have to do that single play, usually you'll do pretty good on it." - Coach Nick Saban

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

This argument is a red herring. The truth is that these northern teams aren't really any more prepared to play in those conditions than Bama because they don't really play in them that often. Seasons are over by late November or early December. Average temperatures in November in Columbus, OH are high of 54 and low of 32. Averages for December are high of 42 and low of 23. This year we had highs in the low 60s the first week of December. Yeah, some years it is snowy during the very end of the football season, but it is so infrequent that it doesn't really prepare them to play in those conditions really. It is a false argument. Manti Te'o is from Hawaii and Urban Meyer is recruiting a bunch of guys from Georgia. Are they better prepared for snow? No.

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is a hypothetical question just for fun (since I know it want really happen) How do yall think Alabama could do in winter wonderland" conditions, lets say Alabama at Wisconsin, 24F with six inches of snow on the ground (so there is actually snow on the field not just flying in the air.)

Just a thought...
    Here's the thing -those 'cold weather' teams aren't used to playing in cold weather either.

College football season is over by December. On November 30th, which for the most part marks the end of the regular season:

In South Bend, Indiana the temperature typically varies from 32F to 39F.
    In Green Bay, Wisconsin the temperature typically varies from 25F to 33F.
    In Colombus, OH the temperature typically varies from 34F to 43F.
    In Ann Arbor, Michigan the temperature typically varies from 30F to 38F.
    In Tuscaloosa, Alabama the temperature typically varies from 43F to 60F.

Source: http://weatherspark.com/

While the temps are certainly cooler, they're nowhere near the frozen tundra. They're certainly much cooler on January 1st, but again, nobody is used to playing or practicing in them so any match up would adversely impact both participants.