Link: ND Fans still talking smack opposing fans return the favor!

peariver

1st Team
Jan 31, 2009
SW Georgia
Some of the funniest stuff I have seen is on the Michigan State Rivals board, majority of those guys hate ND with a passion and it makes for comic gold in the game thread they had going on.
Funny, the best butt kicking I remember us giving of late was the 2010 game against Michigan State. We made their butts quit.

CapstoneGrad06

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2006
Houston, Texas
I love how they complain about SEC programs not playing "up north", but overlook that Alabama played a home-and-home with Penn State and have another scheduled with Michigan State for 2016-2017.

ColumbusTide

1st Team
Jan 10, 2007
This argument is a red herring. The truth is that these northern teams aren't really any more prepared to play in those conditions than Bama because they don't really play in them that often. Seasons are over by late November or early December. Average temperatures in November in Columbus, OH are high of 54 and low of 32. Averages for December are high of 42 and low of 23. This year we had highs in the low 60s the first week of December. Yeah, some years it is snowy during the very end of the football season, but it is so infrequent that it doesn't really prepare them to play in those conditions really. It is a false argument. Manti Te'o is from Hawaii and Urban Meyer is recruiting a bunch of guys from Georgia. Are they better prepared for snow? No.

efd840

1st Team
Nov 23, 2009
I will say I would like to see some of those games mentioned in there. I my self would like to see something on the ranks of Florida vs Michigan in Michigan with cold weather. (I mean actually cold, such as 25°F with snow flying through the air not 45°F with fair sky) I think it would be great to watch if an SEC team could perform under conditions of harsh winter weather.

Here is a hypothetical question just for fun (since I know it want really happen) How do yall think Alabama could do in “winter wonderland" conditions, lets say Alabama at Wisconsin, 24°F with six inches of snow on the ground (so there is actually snow on the field not just flying in the air.)

Just a thought...
Here's the thing -those 'cold weather' teams aren't used to playing in cold weather either.

College football season is over by December. On November 30th, which for the most part marks the end of the regular season:

In South Bend, Indiana the temperature typically varies from 32°F to 39°F.
In Green Bay, Wisconsin the temperature typically varies from 25°F to 33°F.
In Colombus, OH the temperature typically varies from 34°F to 43°F.
In Ann Arbor, Michigan the temperature typically varies from 30°F to 38°F.
In Tuscaloosa, Alabama the temperature typically varies from 43°F to 60°F.

Source: http://weatherspark.com/

While the temps are certainly cooler, they're nowhere near the frozen tundra. They're certainly much cooler on January 1st, but again, nobody is used to playing or practicing in them so any match up would adversely impact both participants.

Sabine Free Sta

BamaNation Citizen
Jul 3, 2012
We played ND in 1976 at South Bend Nov 13th and lost 18-21. We also played ND in 1987 at South Bend Nov 14th and lost 6-37. We played Penn State numerous times at State College during October and November, winning some and losing some.

We played Boston College in 1983 at Foxboro Nov 25th and lost 13-20 and I believe this was the game where the field was frozen and most of the broadcast went out due to weather and technical problems. Coach Bryant's last game against Illinois in the Liberty Bowl was pretty cold as I recall.

You young folks may not know but it used to get cold down south in October and November. We played high school games in South Alabama where it was below freezing. No snow but cold as a witches you know what. I can confirm global warming just from my own life experiences
Couldn't have said it better myself. The only problem I ever had when playing sports in below freezing weather was cold hands and now the players are wearing gloves even when it is triple digits. Hamstring pulls can be a problem in frigid conditions but that was more of a problem when I passed 30.

BornABamaFan

2nd Team
Nov 22, 2011
Brandon,MS
The weather? Really? Yes, I guess it could be an excuse. I suppose if I played Roger Fedderer in 90MPH winds the odds of me winning would go up drastically. Or even if I ran a race against Usain Bolt in Iceland, I guess I would have a better chance to win. NOT!! Besides, Nick would "Process" the weather--so no worries there!

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Time for me to deliver the knockout blow yet again:

1) Those Big Ten teams never complain about the weather in Pasadena, California on January 1. (In fact, the go nuts if you suggest they play elsewhere).

2) Kickoff temp at 2010 Iron Bowl: 39 degrees.

Next!

AwwPhooey

Jan 9, 2013
God Love the BCS computer- ND Ranked #1 !!!

The Colley Matrix, one of the six computer systems used by the BCS, has Notre Dame ranked No. 1 and the Crimson Tide No. 2. Notre Dame's final ranking was 0.973997 to Alabama's 0.961139. Notre Dame had an edge in strength of schedule. Alabama won more games against top 25 teams in the rankings. Margin of victory is not part of the calculations. No matter how the computer spit out that reading, it's worth mentioning again: An entity the BCS uses still prefers Notre Dame to Alabama.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf...ill-ranks-notre-dame-no-185628284--ncaaf.html

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
Don't remember the year but I still get chill bumps when thinking of the game when we played Rutgers and they like to have beat us and it was snowing and wind seemed to be blowing 35 or 40 mph. Coach Bryant days.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
It's not like all the 'Northern Games' are played in Green Bay in late January...
Last I remember it was just as cold on the NFL guys on the Green Bay teams with guys from the South as it was on the guys from the North. Players bundle up, they have blowers on the sidelines for heat.

Still boils down to the best teams usually winning.
The best coaches calling the best plays...

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I'm guessing that Mississippi boy Brett Favre never did anything in Green Bay - it was too cold!! Same with Eli Manning in NYC.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
God Love the BCS computer- ND Ranked #1 !!!

The Colley Matrix, one of the six computer systems used by the BCS, has Notre Dame ranked No. 1 and the Crimson Tide No. 2. Notre Dame's final ranking was 0.973997 to Alabama's 0.961139. Notre Dame had an edge in strength of schedule. Alabama won more games against top 25 teams in the rankings. Margin of victory is not part of the calculations. No matter how the computer spit out that reading, it's worth mentioning again: An entity the BCS uses still prefers Notre Dame to Alabama.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf...ill-ranks-notre-dame-no-185628284--ncaaf.html
Too bad for Notre Dame that the game is played on the gridiron, not in a computer.
:biga:

Last edited:

BAMA1979

All-American
Nov 15, 2006
Mobile
We played ND in 1976 at South Bend Nov 13th and lost 18-21. We also played ND in 1987 at South Bend Nov 14th and lost 6-37. We played Penn State numerous times at State College during October and November, winning some and losing some.

We played Boston College in 1983 at Foxboro Nov 25th and lost 13-20 and I believe this was the game where the field was frozen and most of the broadcast went out due to weather and technical problems. Coach Bryant's last game against Illinois in the Liberty Bowl was pretty cold as I recall.

You young folks may not know but it used to get cold down south in October and November. We played high school games in South Alabama where it was below freezing. No snow but cold as a witches you know what. I can confirm global warming just from my own life experiences
...and the beer was colder back then too, right?

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
If there is worst weather conditions than those at Mizzou last year then I would like to see it.

Weather talk is just crazy when it comes to the Tide!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.