Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BamaNation All-American B1GTide's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Re: Alabama's Dynasty v. Nebraska Dynasty

Quote Originally Posted by JIB View Post
    Michigan was very good that year.

However, Nebraska beat 6 top 25 teams that year plus beat two 10 teams by a combined score of 92-43.

I find it odd that people think Nebraska didn't earn a title. You can argue that it should have been a split, but it would have been a travesty for Nebraska to go 13-0 and not get at least a share of the title that year.
    There were few in America who follow college football that believed that Nebraska would have even been able to play Michigan close in a game that year. Michigan's defense was amazing. Too bad we didn't get to see that game played.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Third Team
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the 1997 team is the weakest of the six teams being compared. They had the Missouri game, but it is also worth noting that the 1997 Washington team that was ranked#2 would go on to lose three more games that season, including a loss to 7-5 Oregon. So it is not like they played the second best team in the nation over the course of the season. Washington was not even the second best team in the Pac 10 that year as they finished behind Washington State and UCLA. Nebraska's best win outside of the Orange bowl were wins over 4 loss teams. Clearly the 1997 team was the weakest of the Nebraska Dynasty. All that said it is tough to argue against the 1994 and 1995 teams because they absolutely drilled everything they faced. Each of the Nebraska teams went undefeated, something only one of the Bama teams did.

However, the weakest Bama team, despite its loss to Texas A&M, was a stronger team than the 1997 Nebraska team (who played a very weak schedule). You are never going to win an agreement over who was the best between Bama 2009, 2011 and Nebraska 1994, 1995. I think what separates Bama in terms of "dynasty" was that there was a change in the core players of the teams in each of the championships. Nebraska's strongest teams were essentially the same team. Players did not leave early for the NFL in the same way because the rookie scale was not in place yet. This means that for Alabama to accomplish the feat in this era is more challenging because of the turnover of players, making Bama the moe impressive Dynasty.

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    HaHa on TideFans.com

Alabama's Dynasty v. Nebraska Dynasty

Don't know why people think 2012 is the weakest team. I think 2009 is.
    ROLL TIDE!

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

BamaNation Hall of Fame TommyMac's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

It would not even be close if not for Doctor Tom's pharmacy. Nebraska was damned lucky that none of those roided up freaks didn't kill anyone.
    "I'm just a simple plowhand from Arkansas, but I've learned over the years how to hold a team together, how to lift some men up, how to calm others down, until finally they've got one heartbeat, together, a team."

Coach Bryant

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by JIB View Post
    Michigan was very good that year.

However, Nebraska beat 6 top 25 teams that year plus beat two 10 teams by a combined score of 92-43.

I find it odd that people think Nebraska didn't earn a title. You can argue that it should have been a split, but it would have been a travesty for Nebraska to go 13-0 and not get at least a share of the title that year.
    The beef a lot of folks have - myself included - is that Michigan went into the bowl games as number one in both polls. That is the only time in history that i know of a team went into the bowls number one, won the game, and dropped. But three years earlier, the voters would not drop Nebraska do Penn St could split the title, citing the precedent that if number one wins the bowl they're still number one.
    :13

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by JBama_in_PCOLA View Post
    Don't know why people think 2012 is the weakest team. I think 2009 is.
    Agree - not even close, IMO. 2011 was one of the best college teams in the history of the game. 2012 took a step forward offensively (best in the history of Alabama football), but the defense took a step backwards. Still, the 2012 defense was as good, or better, than the 2009 defense. And that is without taking depth into consideration. With a critical injury almost anywhere the 2009 team would have fallen short. With many critical injuries in 2012, you still won it all.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    The beef a lot of folks have - myself included - is that Michigan went into the bowl games as number one in both polls. That is the only time in history that i know of a team went into the bowls number one, won the game, and dropped. But three years earlier, the voters would not drop Nebraska do Penn St could split the title, citing the precedent that if number one wins the bowl they're still number one.
    Yep - it was a gift from his fellow coaches for his announced retirement. Had he not announced his retirement, Nebraska finishes second.

BamaNation Third Team
    Post Thanks / Like

2009 Bama: Undefeated, beat 4 top ten teams, 6 top 25 teams, escaped against Tennessee
    2012 Bama: One loss, beat 4 top ten teams, 5 top 25 teams, escaped against LSU

In my opinion the one loss at home to a non top-10 A&M and the close call against Georgia makes the 2012 team the weakest of the teams. I also think the 2011 team was the strongest despite their one loss. They absolutely rolled everyone (a weaker schedule than 09 or 12) except LSU the first time, but destroyed them the second time. I rank them 2011, 2012, 2009. However, we are talking degrees of greatness here and this is very debatable stuff. Would not be hard to make a case any which way you want.

Suspended
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Lets look back and compare the programs in 20 years. I think the best run is still to come for the Tide.

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    HaHa on TideFans.com

Alabama's Dynasty v. Nebraska Dynasty

Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    Lets look back and compare the programs in 20 years. I think the best run is still to come for the Tide.
    Do you think we win it all again next year?
    ROLL TIDE!

BamaNation Third Team
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JBama_in_PCOLA View Post
    Do you think we win it all again next year?
    Too many variables. Just look at the last two years. Any one of the following teams win games after our loss and we don't win one or two championships because we are not in the BCS championship: Stanford 2011, Oklahoma State 2011, K-State 2012, Oregon 2012. If this happens there is no dynasty talk, we actually would look a lot like Florida State under Bowden in the late 80's and early 90's. A lot of top 5 finishes and only one championship.

BamaNation Hall of Fame RJ YellowHammer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Mellow on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonCrusade View Post
    I still thank Nebraska for pounding Peyton Manning and UcheaT in the Orange Bowl.
    That's what I was going to say.

No matter which dynasty you think he is better, Nebraska has my gratitude for handing Peyton his hat in the title game.

Which Dynasty is/was better? I have no idea. If you could line the two teams up against each other though, the Husker O-lines were dominant, but I don't think a one dimensional team, no matter how good that one dimension is, will have much success against these CNS coached Alabama teams.
    "This is not the end. This is the beginning." - Nick Saban, at the 2009 NC celebration at B-D.