Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Nick Saban to be on Mike & Mike momentarily

Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    Now Mike is saying that Saban has no fun in life. "You prepare for what 200 days and you only get 2 days to enjoy a championship. That is not a good ratio. That is not a good life."
    Quote Originally Posted by ROLLTRIBE View Post
    What people dont understand is that to CNS, this is fun
    Exactly. People cannot fathom an existence that is not defined by accolades & results. Saban's enjoyment is the 200 days. The 2 days off are what he dreads. He doesn't feel entitled to take time off, but instead cherishes the success of the process and can't wait to do it all again. It's not about being miserable or unsatisfied, it is finding satisfaction in the daily habits of success that most people have convinced themselves are a mundane existence. There is no glory, no spotlight on the football coach that is out-performing all other coaches in March or June. The wannabe-entitled's want us all to show up in August and turn out the lights after signing day in February. That's not the methods of a champion, and the majority of the country doesn't want to hear that because it means that what we (Bama) have, many more could also have - BUT THEY DON'T WANT TO PUT IN THE TIME, MONEY, SACRIFICE TO EARN IT.

Who was that guy that said, "The price of victory is high, but so are the rewards"??

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    Inspired on TideFans.com

We can get awful close to political on this topic, and that is not my intention when I say the following.

It's a darn shame that we've gotten to the point that we either vilify hard work, or we look at it with disdain, as if everyone should relax and if you don't, or if you don't relax to the extent that the rest of society does, then you're abnormal or weird.

It's quite obvious that Coach Saban enjoys the work. We're blessed to have him. And I hate it when they say that the ncaa had to make rules changes to curb him. No, they had to make rules changes because everyone else was unwilling to put in the kind of work that he does. Instead of increasing their productivity and competing, they lobbied to level the playing field via rules and regulations.

Now Mike is saying that Saban has no fun in life. "You prepare for what 200 days and you only get 2 days to enjoy a championship. That is not a good ratio. That is not a good life."

That is what is wrong with this world. We are all worried about having "fun" and not doing the work it takes to be great in life, in whatever capacity that maybe (family, professionally, spiritually)
    Worse, most people don't understand that some of us have found a career we're passionate about, that we enjoy so much that work IS fun. I always tell folks Monday is my favorite day of the week because I get to go back to work. I suspect CNS feels the same way after his 48 hours off.
    DISCLAIMER: I hereby reserve the right to discuss any game on the Alabama schedule I wish, at any time during the season, as I am not a part of the Crimson Tide football program. I am simply a fan who has no impact outside of the money I provide the athletic department via ticket and memorabilia purchases and the energy I can provide when I attend the games. ©2009-2014, crimsonaudio

Lurch Backwater!

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Just listened to the interview. Greenberg sounded so dumb when asking the question and trying to explain the reasoning for it.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TideEngineer08 View Post
    We can get awful close to political on this topic, and that is not my intention when I say the following.

It's a darn shame that we've gotten to the point that we either vilify hard work, or we look at it with disdain, as if everyone should relax and if you don't, or if you don't relax to the extent that the rest of society does, then you're abnormal or weird.

It's quite obvious that Coach Saban enjoys the work. We're blessed to have him. And I hate it when they say that the ncaa had to make rules changes to curb him. No, they had to make rules changes because everyone else was unwilling to put in the kind of work that he does. Instead of increasing their productivity and competing, they lobbied to level the playing field via rules and regulations.
    honestly, i think that is just human nature.
    Hail Mary, Full of Grace, Notre Dame in Second Place, with a made up girlfriend

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.

-Bertrand Russell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    Inspired on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    honestly, i think that is just human nature.
    You are right, it is. It truly is.

BamaNation Hall of Fame CajunCrimson's Avatar
    My Mood
    Busy on TideFans.com

It's like the episode where George Jefferson has a heart attack --

Then goes back to work and they walk in and he's reaming someone out for a mistake they made

And they are like "George, calm down, you need to relax, don't get so stressed out"

And George is like -- this ain't stress -- this is fun.

Saban LOVES the challenge -- I have no doubt he's having fun.......
    Raj: Excuse me, I can't be drinking, I'm about to make an important scientific discovery here!
    Howard:What? Galileo did his best work while drinking wine!
    Raj: How do you know that?
    Howard: He was Italian, it's a reasonable assumption.
    Raj: Dude, can you even open your mouth without saying a cultural stereotype?
    Howard: I'm sorry Galileo drank diet sprite!

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    Worse, most people don't understand that some of us have found a career we're passionate about, that we enjoy so much that work IS fun. I always tell folks Monday is my favorite day of the week because I get to go back to work. I suspect CNS feels the same way after his 48 hours off.

and also training and preparing for a goal can be fun as well. when i am preparing leading up to a race, it is tough as all get out, but it is still fun. i am not a contender in the races, but i know several folks who are winning the races and they love the training.

i think they keep trying to paint saban as some kind of non-human so that they can feel better about bashing him. at least that's the feeling i get reading the atlanta take on things. its funny now, with 3 of 4 bcs titles, they have to give him respect, but it is begrudged (and always involves a texas a and m comment or a georgia was so close comment)
    Hail Mary, Full of Grace, Notre Dame in Second Place, with a made up girlfriend

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.

-Bertrand Russell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    Easy there music man!

Quote Originally Posted by ROLLTRIBE View Post
    What people dont understand is that to CNS, this is fun
    Exactly! Saban is doing what he loves.

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar
    My Mood
    Bookworm on TideFans.com

Golic was not on the set today.
    I'd chicken out too if I did what he did.
    :13

On the fun issue:

Saban's a coach. That's a teacher. He loves teaching his players how to do things the right way. He's also one of those guys who, at least in my opinion, enjoys practice. He enjoys going over the detail stuff. As a teacher myself, this is exactly how I am. I love teaching kids and watching that light bulb come on when they finally get it. The fun is in the journey. You just don't realize it until it is over. When I talk to recent graduates from my school if they have any regrets they always say the same thing. "I wish I could have appreciated what I had when I was in high school a little more."

Our world is so result oriented that we lose sight of the journey sometimes. Remember the movie "The Karate Kid" with Ralph Macchio and Pat Morita? How boring of a movie would it have been in Daniel was able to kick Johnny's butt in the first couple of minutes? No! He had to learn how to become great. And at the end he not only won a championship, but also learned so many life lessons along the way about how to be a better man.

I can't believe I just use a Karate Kid reference. Show's my age ROLL TIDE, Coach Saban!! Keep "having fun"!!

Roll Tide!!
    ChattTide

BamaNation Second Team

Quote Originally Posted by ChattTide View Post
    Remember the movie "The Karate Kid" with Ralph Macchio and Pat Morita?

I can't believe I just use a Karate Kid reference. Show's my age ROLL TIDE, Coach Saban!! Keep "having fun"!!

Roll Tide!!
    ChattTide
    I thought that movie starred Jaden Smith and Jackie Chan?