Nick Saban to be on Mike & Mike momentarily

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Worse, most people don't understand that some of us have found a career we're passionate about, that we enjoy so much that work IS fun. I always tell folks Monday is my favorite day of the week because I get to go back to work. I suspect CNS feels the same way after his 48 hours off.

and also training and preparing for a goal can be fun as well. when i am preparing leading up to a race, it is tough as all get out, but it is still fun. i am not a contender in the races, but i know several folks who are winning the races and they love the training.

i think they keep trying to paint saban as some kind of non-human so that they can feel better about bashing him. at least that's the feeling i get reading the atlanta take on things. its funny now, with 3 of 4 bcs titles, they have to give him respect, but it is begrudged (and always involves a texas a and m comment or a georgia was so close comment)

Rasputin

Suspended
Apr 15, 2008
Worse, most people don't understand that some of us have found a career we're passionate about, that we enjoy so much that work IS fun. I always tell folks Monday is my favorite day of the week because I get to go back to work. I suspect CNS feels the same way after his 48 hours off.
Easy there music man! :wink:

ChattTide

All-SEC
Jul 20, 2000
Memphis, TN
On the fun issue:

Saban's a coach. That's a teacher. He loves teaching his players how to do things the right way. He's also one of those guys who, at least in my opinion, enjoys practice. He enjoys going over the detail stuff. As a teacher myself, this is exactly how I am. I love teaching kids and watching that light bulb come on when they finally get it. The fun is in the journey. You just don't realize it until it is over. When I talk to recent graduates from my school if they have any regrets they always say the same thing. "I wish I could have appreciated what I had when I was in high school a little more."

Our world is so result oriented that we lose sight of the journey sometimes. Remember the movie "The Karate Kid" with Ralph Macchio and Pat Morita? How boring of a movie would it have been in Daniel was able to kick Johnny's butt in the first couple of minutes? No! He had to learn how to become great. And at the end he not only won a championship, but also learned so many life lessons along the way about how to be a better man.

I can't believe I just use a Karate Kid reference. Show's my age:) ROLL TIDE, Coach Saban!! Keep "having fun"!!

Roll Tide!!
ChattTide

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I just heard a snippet on the radio.

Saban said if he had been able to get a good quarterback he might have stayed at Miami. He didn't think he could win enough without one, and thought he would have a better shot at winning at Bama.

My understanding of that is that we lured Miami's coach to Bama successfully, whereas before I was more of the opinion he quit Miami and then considered Bama. In other words, without the Bama job opening up, perhaps he might have stuck it out in Miami a few more years.

Who knows the bottom line...but I think it's an interesting facet of Sabanology.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I don't think he would have left Miami without Alabama opening up.

I'm sure that he wanted out. He knew the NFL wasn't for him. But there is probably a small list of schools that he was willing to return to college for, and fortunately for us, Alabama was one of them and it was the only one open at the time. Without that, he probably remains in Miami and leaves at the next opportunity that would have opened up.

The whole story just points to our good fortune. The timing was just right. I'm forever thankful as an Alabama fan.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Thinking back...Don Shula said some silly things after Saban went to Bama. But imagine how tough it was for him to see the coach of his Dolphins leave and replace his son at his son's alma mater.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Exactly. People cannot fathom an existence that is not defined by accolades & results. Saban's enjoyment is the 200 days. The 2 days off are what he dreads. He doesn't feel entitled to take time off, but instead cherishes the success of the process and can't wait to do it all again. It's not about being miserable or unsatisfied, it is finding satisfaction in the daily habits of success that most people have convinced themselves are a mundane existence. There is no glory, no spotlight on the football coach that is out-performing all other coaches in March or June. The wannabe-entitled's want us all to show up in August and turn out the lights after signing day in February. That's not the methods of a champion, and the majority of the country doesn't want to hear that because it means that what we (Bama) have, many more could also have - BUT THEY DON'T WANT TO PUT IN THE TIME, MONEY, SACRIFICE TO EARN IT.

Who was that guy that said, "The price of victory is high, but so are the rewards"??
Agreed. Saban enjoys the 'journey', or process, more than the 'destination'. Ask any highly successful person in any field and they usually will tell you the same thing.

CrimsonPride

1st Team
Dec 9, 2001
Chattanooga, TN
If anyone ever wondered why CNS has no patience with the media, that interview and the subsequent comments by Greenburg is a prime example. First, you ask him a question that has been answered so many times that I have lost count by both CNS and Miss Terry. You ask him if he is happy--to which he replies that he is very happy doing what he is doing. Then, after he is no longer on the phone, you basically call him a liar stating that he can't possibly be happy because that is no way to live a life.

Who died and left him in charge to be the arbiter of when someone else is happy or what is a healthy lifestyle for them. If he felt this strongly about it why did he not challlenge CNS while he was on the phone instead of taking the cowards way out and waiting until the interview was over? Talking about how he would love to get in CNS' head to make him open up so that he can get to the real truth. Just because that isn't your idea of fun, how arrogant to insist that it couldn't possibly a good life for someone else.

To Herm's credit, he kept trying to explain to Greenburg that different things make different people happy and that CNS enjoyed the process and opportunity to develop and mentor these kids to become productive and successful adults both in football and life. To me, that seems to be a very enjoyable and worthwhile way to live your life.

Bad Pony

All-American
Nov 14, 1999
Pelham
I watched a little of M&M the morning after the game and I would've sworn someone had run over Golic's puppy. I understand about his sons on the team but he's like the majority (or maybe all) of the ND fanbase. They had convinced themselves they were going to beat us. I argued a bit with someone in the weeks leading up to the game when the topic came up about SOS (I said something to the effect their SOS was a joke, I didn't care how high it was ranked).

I heard someone on JOX yesterday..on the Morning Drive I believe...that was a beat writer or something from Chicago and he said the ND fans were downright insufferable leading up to the game (he repeated that statement with emphasis just to get his point across). Reality is a hard crash when you have worked yourself to a delusional state.

Sorry to semi-hijack the thread :) and when I heard CNS make the hinges statement I just about fell off the couch! RTR

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
What people dont understand is that to CNS, this is fun
my last boss is 83, been practicing law for 55 years and still works 40 hours a week. he's very well-off financially and could do nothing but play golf if he wanted to, but he loves to work...absolutely loves it...and he's a very happy person. some people like to work and a lot of people don't get that. i don't have that work ethic/obsession, but i'm not going to disparage people who do.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
my last boss is 83, been practicing law for 55 years and still works 40 hours a week. he's very well-off financially and could do nothing but play golf if he wanted to, but he loves to work...absolutely loves it...and he's a very happy person. some people like to work and a lot of people don't get that. i don't have that work ethic/obsession, but i'm not going to disparage people who do.
My mom works for a company owned by three partners and they are exactly like this. IMO, there are two key things that must exist for someone to be like this. They don't necessarily have to both exist but at least one.

1. Have a passion for what you're doing. Not everyone is able to love something or have a passion for something that circumstances have worked in a such a way that they are able to also do that for a living. The average person does something for a living because not because they have a passion for it, but because it pays the bills.

2. Be the owner of the business or have some form of financial interest (other than a regular employee paycheck) in the company.

A guy I used to run with couldn't understand why I didn't "love" going to work. Since I chose to go to college and become an accountant. I'm obviously doing what I wanted to do.

On some level he's right. But on another level he's wrong. Though I'm doing something that (in the beginning) I enjoyed. "Life" and a lot of things I didn't know that comes along with the job, has now pushed me to burn out in this field. Things that if I somehow could have known beforehand would more than likely have made me think twice about going into what I went into.

He on the other hand, went into the medical field, which he enjoys. But also is in a unique situation (within his field) where he gets bank rolled with Christmas bonuses that equals half my salary and quarterly bonuses that are roughly 1/4 my wife's salary. He makes well above the average physician assistants pay. So he loves his job more because element #2 exist than #1.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.