Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Should athletic scholarships be 1-year or 4-year?

There are still some Division 1 schools that offer 4-year athletic scholarships, but UA doesn't guarantee one. Do you have some arguments for or against?
    Ezekiel 20:29 "Then I said to them, 'What is the high place to which you go?' So its name is called Bamah to this day."

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Should athletic scholarships be 1-year or 4-year?

This still. CNS doesn't cut a player. The player does that himself for doing something to hurt the program. It's a non issue.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: Should athletic scholarships be 1-year or 4-year?

Academic scholarships are 1-year with an option for 3 renewals if academic and legal standards are met. I see no reason why athletic scholarships should be different and I have no problem with players losing scholarships if they don't meet athletic standards.

BamaNation All-American B1GTide's Avatar
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

1 year renewable or 4 year - the choice of the school/player. But the players should be able to leave without penalty if a 1 year renewable scholly is in place.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I agree. I think the transfer rules should be more equitable to the player. I think players ought to be able to transfer between conferences with impunity. I have a tepid outlook on allowing free transfer within a conference. It really raises the "insider threat" problem where players can leak privy information to yearly rivals. Schools can't own a strictly academic student; why should they be able to own an athlete on scholarship?

BamaNation All-American Al A Bama's Avatar
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    Academic scholarships are 1-year with an option for 3 renewals if academic and legal standards are met. I see no reason why athletic scholarships should be different and I have no problem with players losing scholarships if they don't meet athletic standards.
    I totally agree with what you said. Those athletes need to meet academic as well as athletic standards or move on. You need to be totally committed when you COMMIT or don't let the door hit you on the way out! You have all the support that you need to be successful academically and athletically. When you commit, you commit to be a success not a failure.
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give me Liberty, or give me Death!" Patrick Henry

BamaNation Second Team

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    1 year renewable or 4 year - the choice of the school/player. But the players should be able to leave without penalty if a 1 year renewable scholly is in place.
    What he said...

BamaNation Hall of Fame TommyMac's Avatar
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

One year. It's a two way street, if the athlete doesn't uphold his end of the bargain, why should the school have uphold their's?

Injuries are the exception of course.
    "I'm just a simple plowhand from Arkansas, but I've learned over the years how to hold a team together, how to lift some men up, how to calm others down, until finally they've got one heartbeat, together, a team."

Coach Bryant

BamaNation All-American Al A Bama's Avatar
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

If you give an athlete a 4 year scholarship and they are not growing and succeeding in your program, what are you going to do with them? Are you going to let them in the locker room, etc. and help destroy your program? No! Be good or be gone!
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give me Liberty, or give me Death!" Patrick Henry

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Yes, obviously they have to meet the academic standards but it is principally an athletic scholarship so I think maintaining an athletic standard is a legitimate consideration in renewal. Saban has allowed plenty of guys who came in with expectations and never really made it work on the field stick around through the completion of their academic program. Those guys obviously put in all the work but they just weren't good enough. They were team players, they showed up and worked whenever they were expected to do so. I have no problem with Saban ending the scholarships for guys who miss practices, skip workouts, and/or contribute minimal effort in general.

I'm not calling for cutting the guys at the bottom of the depth chart, simply culling the ones who don't seem to care that they aren't contributing to the team.

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    I agree. I think the transfer rules should be more equitable to the player. I think players ought to be able to transfer between conferences with impunity.

Schools can't own a strictly academic student; why should they be able to own an athlete on scholarship?
    Even if it wasn't allowed in conference it would basically create free agency. Before you say there are rules in place to keep coaches from contacting the players, what keeps the players from contacting the coaches? If there's no contact allowed on either side then how does a player leave and be able to know there is a scholarship waiting for him somewhere else?
    Last edited by Dallas4Bama; January 10th, 2013 at 12:57 PM.

BamaNation All-American 230kv_barehand's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

1 year.

I also agree with most here in that transfer rules should be done away with as well, or maybe giving a kid one free transfer without penalty and any after that is a year like it is now.

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by steej71 View Post
    There are still some Division 1 schools that offer 4-year athletic scholarships, but UA doesn't guarantee one. Do you have some arguments for or against?
    Alabama may not "guarantee one," but Bama does offer them starting with this signing class.

Link
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!