Were it not for the Texas A&M loss,I think we'd be talking about this being the best

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Were it not for the Texas A&M loss,I think we'd be talking about this being the best

Look at the evidence. We'd have won almost every game by double digits. The defense would have ended the season number one in almost every meaningful category. The offense will likely have been in the top ten in points scored, rushing and passing efficiency.

If we don't decide to pass so much in the Texas A&M loss, we win fairly easily I think.

BTW, I posted after last years championship that Saban and Bama were about to go on an "Epic Run" of NC's.

Herbie said this during the game "this feels like the middle of a title run rather than the end". I think he's right.

RollinTider1335

All-SEC
Jun 12, 2010
Spring Hill, TN

Look at the evidence. We'd have won almost every game by double digits. The defense would have ended the season number one in almost every meaningful category. The offense will likely have been in the top ten in points scored, rushing and passing efficiency.

If we don't decide to pass so much in the Texas A&M loss, we win fairly easily I think.

BTW, I posted after last years championship that Saban and Bama were about to go on an "Epic Run" of NC's.

Herbie said this during the game "this feels like the middle of a title run rather than the end". I think he's right.
Time will tell.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Re: Were it not for the Texas A&M loss,I think we'd be talking about this being the b

Forget the gameplan in the A&M game. If we run a better play on 4th and goal... or if AJ makes a different read (not sure that would have mattered, I can't remember anyone actually being open on the play)... then we win. I think we could have held A&M after that - maybe.

In any event, this has still been a great season and this is truly a great team.

steej71

BamaNation Citizen
Feb 17, 2011
Re: Were it not for the Texas A&M loss,I think we'd be talking about this being the b

I think a few arguments could be made that we became a better team because we lost to A&M, not the least of which is that McCarron might have left if we had won.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

Forget the gameplan in the A&M game. If we run a better play on 4th and goal... or if AJ makes a different read (not sure that would have mattered, I can't remember anyone actually being open on the play)... then we win. I think we could have held A&M after that - maybe.

In any event, this has still been a great season and this is truly a great team.
i think i saw where it was a route running issue that led to no one being open. similar to the lsu interception last year (2011) where a sloppy route led an extra defender into the receivers area.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

i think i saw where it was a route running issue that led to no one being open. similar to the lsu interception last year (2011) where a sloppy route led an extra defender into the receivers area.
Ah yes, you're right. In fact, I think it may have been Cooper who didn't run the route properly, which allowed the A&M defender to be near the pass when it was thrown to Bell.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

Ah yes, you're right. In fact, I think it may have been Cooper who didn't run the route properly, which allowed the A&M defender to be near the pass when it was thrown to Bell.
every time i hear a georgia person say "we were 5 yards from winning the sec" i say "we were 5 yards from being undefeated"

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

Posted several times before the season that I thought this would be Saban's best team at Bama.

My reasoning was that even though we were fairly young on defense, we'd still be o.k. because Saban doesn't know how to put a bad defense on the field...lol

Plus, I felt we'd be so much better on offense. I still believe this is our best offense under Saban.

In retrospect now I feel that 09 may still have a slight edge overall because that team had so many play makers on defense and the ability to rush the passer without having to blitz. And because they won them all against what I consider to be a more difficult schedule.
But this team is a great one without question and it looks even better for the future.

sip

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA

every time i hear a georgia person say "we were 5 yards from winning the sec" i say "we were 5 yards from being undefeated"
True but one of person I heard saying that was CNS.

buzzincuzzin

All-American
Jan 8, 2006

It was a good play call and the right read. The true freshman Cooper ran the wrong route bringing the man covering him right into the path of the pass at the last second. AC should have been six yards away.

Bad Pony

All-American
Nov 14, 1999
Pelham

We were mentally and physically fatigued after the LSU game but give A&M credit for jumping on us early and often...we pretty much knew we had wrapped up the West and we just flat dug ourselves a hole we couldn't get out of...

BTW, we should've ran the ball 4 times instead of trying to pass on that last series :)

1958againbear

1st Team
Jan 27, 2011
Re: Were it not for the Texas A&M loss,I think we'd be talking about this being the

True but one of person I heard saying that was CNS.
Yes but he was relating that to how tough it is to win in the SEC, not the typical UGA rejoinder that they were as good as or better than us.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Re: Were it not for the Texas A&M loss,I think we'd be talking about this being the

Last Year's team was better imo. That's why not winning the SEC hurt so much, it was like a missing ring tied to that fish bowl game of the century with 5 missed FG's and a jacked up team held hostage all week.

I would say that last year's LSU was much better than this years ND, their team speed was slower than any team in our division.

But that aside, Alabama made a bigger statement this year with the crushing of one of our most hated peers (former Peers) and going back to back. I believe that losing all those player might have helped this team stay focused. It might have been harder to repeat with the underclassman coming back. Rebuilding may have been the key.

I agree. The pressure to repeat is great!

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011

Alabama was fortunate to lose in November and still get back in the title game the past two seasons. As it has all played out, Alabama has been the best program by far over the past four seasons. Your point about the TAMU loss and near greatness is valid, but step back and look at the magic of the past four seasons. Amazing.

smohabbat

Scout Team
Oct 13, 2011

If the nonsense offside call weren't called against us on the punt I am 99% sure that McCarron would have led us to a td. Ah it frustrates me knowing we never got the chance

MVKTR2

1st Team
May 29, 2008

It's a subjective discussion to be sure. The most talented team in the last 4 years was 2010, yet it was the worst or least successful 'team'.

I weight things not just toward accomplishments, but the challenges conquered. Thus for my money 2009 is actually one of the greatest teams all time because of the quality of opponent faced throughout the year. That team met EVERY SINGLE CHALLENGE and came out victorious, most importantly the challenges faced were greater than any other team save perhaps one(iirc USC faced a slightly tougher gauntlet in 2005) in the BCS era.

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012

I kinda look at by the amount of shutouts we had this year, we had 4 shutouts this year and yet this wasn't the most dominating defense at Bama lol.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.