Views from Around the Country on the BCSNC Game (more added)

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Re: Views from Around the Country on the BCSNC Game

Thank you for that update. Especially with Miami making mention of Cooper.

skrayper77

All-American
Sep 4, 2003
I found a few more on Oklahoma's site that were too funny to ignore...

Nobody told Bama that ND's front seven was SEC caliber.
A real football team that wears crimson. Nice to see those exist.
I expect David Boren to send the Bama president a strongly worded letter for Bama not being in awe of ND.
Why don't Bama rush three? That's how you play D according to Mike Stoops.
Nick Saban'a secretary would be more qualified than half our assistants.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

I don't see what's so insulting about being called Gumps. I always liked Forrest.
Having given this more thought, I don't see how being called a Gump is an insult. Let' look at what kind of person he was.

As a child, he was mocked for being physically and mentally handicapped. So if you call someone a Gump, are you like the mean children in the movie who chased after him? Yet he overcame his physical problems to become an All American athlete. Wilma Rudolph is celebrated for this.

While a student at the University of Alabama, he was an eyewitness for a key moment in history, Wallace standing in the schoolhouse door. I'm sure Vivian Malone was scared and nervous, yet he showed her kindness by handing her a book she had dropped. Seeing a young white student being nice to her probably made her feel better on a traumatic day.

Then he goes to Vietnam, where he won the highest medal for bravery the country awards, the Medal of Honor.

After the war, he spoke at an anti-war rally. We don't know what he said, but it took a lot of courage for him to do so. If he was pro-war, he'd be attacked by a bunch of hippies. If he was anti-war, he'd be branded as a traitor. Whatever he said, I'm sure he was 100% honest in his feelings.

As a white boy growing up in the 1950s and 1960s in rural Alabama, he became best friends with a black man, Bubba. He also remained loyal to Jenny, the only person who was kind to him as a child. And he was always willing to help out his mentor from the military, Lieutenant Dan. In short, if you were Gump's friend, you had a loyal friend for life.

At the end of the movie, he found himself with a child he didn't know about. So what does he do? He takes it upon himself to raise and care for the child.

A star football player, a war hero, a good friend. What a better world this would be if we had more Forrest Gumps. I wish I had half the character that man had. I know he is fictional, but I'm serious when I say he is a person we should all strive to be. Always honest and always doing the right thing.

WalkaboutSean

1st Team
Nov 23, 2010
Not a big fan of Colin Cowherd, but after the game this week he mentioned on ESPN radio that Alabama has an in house steroid testing program and is 100% clean - never had a failed test under Saban. He implied that he had an inside source that gave him the info.

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC

There was one Bama fan on a ND site trying to tell them that we actually test for steroids and other drugs ourselves, but he wasn't getting anywhere...
They would probably say that we have an internal testing program to make sure that our guys can pass when they take actual NCAA tests. There is no convincing people that are irrational.

It's like they forget that we recruit huge kids, we recruit the best kids, we have the best coach, we have as good of facilities as anyone in the country, and they work hard.

I don't even get it I don't see guys on our team who look like some of the monsters in the NFL. We have very few guys arms who looks like anyone in the NFL. There's guys in the NFL who weigh like 310 pounds with no gut and look like they have a body fat of 10% or less. We have big guys but there is still a difference between them and NFL guys.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

Early nomination for thread of the year!!!

Watching ESPN until 4:00 a.m. the night/morning of the game was so fun as everyone lavished praise on Bama!!!

Lassr4Bama

1st Team
Jan 3, 2007
Hazel Green, AL

USC Forum (Southern Cal)

I'm not a fan of the Alabama coach, as a person, and I'm indifferent to that program, but you've got to love the style of play. Wonderful to behold. In fact, it's the one saving characteristic in all of football right now. Imagine if Saban had remained in the NFL and a tinkerbell program like Oregon were playing for titles regularly, and perhaps winning one if a favorable matchup unfolded? That would be unbearable, especially in conjunction with the style of play now coddled by NFL rules. You'd have one cupcake fan after another asserting that power football was passe, the same type of genius that described Georgia as "old man football."

As I posted several days ago amidst the Oregon euphoria, once Alabama won 3 in 4 that would be the spotlight, and the Ducks all but ignored.

Power football at its finest. None of that pansy bubble screen crap we are being subject to year after year with boy wonder.

ND wasn't getting any penetration with their defensive lineman in the 1st half so they started shooting LBs in the gaps but then Saban adjusts by throwing short passes in the short middle which was vacated by the LBs. He also starts going over the top to his WRs because ND was selling out to stop the run. However, it all started with power football in the trenches....big boy football.

It was really something to watch the progression of strategic adjustments that an elite coach makes in the course of a game. We haven't seen that since Pete left.

Last edited:

AggieMom

Suspended
Nov 19, 2012
Huntsville, AL

They would probably say that we have an internal testing program to make sure that our guys can pass when they take actual NCAA tests. There is no convincing people that are irrational.

It's like they forget that we recruit huge kids, we recruit the best kids, we have the best coach, we have as good of facilities as anyone in the country, and they work hard.

I don't even get it I don't see guys on our team who look like some of the monsters in the NFL. We have very few guys arms who looks like anyone in the NFL. There's guys in the NFL who weigh like 310 pounds with no gut and look like they have a body fat of 10% or less. We have big guys but there is still a difference between them and NFL guys.
What i dont get is that some of Alabama's players look so much older. Nothing to do with steroids, just some dont look like normal college players. Have you looked at Fluker? I'm not talking about his size, but that he has a 35 year old face! Compare him to Joeckel who is 6'6"/310#, Joeckel looks like a baby.

hacksaw830

2nd Team
Jan 20, 2007

What i dont get is that some of Alabama's players look so much older. Nothing to do with steroids, just some dont look like normal college players. Have you looked at Fluker? I'm not talking about his size, but that he has a 35 year old face! Compare him to Joeckel who is 6'6"/310#, Joeckel looks like a baby.
He looked like that when he was in HS too wich was ,a little over 4 years ago. Its funny you say that because I thought the same thing about one of your recievers #11 I think. Also have you taken a look at Jenkins from Georgia he looks older than Ray Lewis. Anyway alot of these kids look very mature, I guess you can blame it on the chicken. PS Great game this year.
Can't wait to see you guys at Kyle field. Payback games have been fun for us over the years usually in a big way, but we will see if we can pick up were we left off and maybe put an exclamation point on the next game.

AggieMom

Suspended
Nov 19, 2012
Huntsville, AL

He looked like that when he was in HS too wich was ,a little over 4 years ago. Its funny you say that because I thought the same thing about one of your recievers #11 I think. Also have you taken a look at Jenkins from Georgia he looks older than Ray Lewis. Anyway alot of these kids look very mature, I guess you can blame it on the chicken. PS Great game this year.
Can't wait to see you guys at Kyle field. Payback games have been fun for us over the years usually in a big way, but we will see if we can pick up were we left off and maybe put an exclamation point on the next game.
I had to look up who #11 was--not one of our big time receivers (25, 13, 7, 8, 84,etc). I guess #11 (Walker) looks a little older that the others ?? Will have to look at what Jenkins from Georgia looks like. We look forward to the game in September as well. Hope to give a game of it!

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Don't get caught up in looks. A few years ago, I showed a pic of the starting UTx starting BB center, Odom, I think, to my secretary and covered up the source. She guessed his age at 35. He was 19. All of these guys have very high natural testosterone levels and their faces age early. A couple of years ago, we lost a kid for an entire year from an NCAA drug test for an innocuous drug. That's the NCAA minimum. At that point, Saban decided we would have our own drug-testing program by an independent lab - far beyond the NCAA program - and that we would never lose another kid to an NCAA testing program for a year. Bama has in place an extensive drug rehab program, designed to get in early and to institute a step program. That's the failure of the NCAA program - one year and you're out and there is no rehab. What on earth else would you expect from Saban? Soon all other NCAA upper echelon teams will have similar programs...

hacksaw830

2nd Team
Jan 20, 2007

I may have your guy confused with one of Miss....y states receivers. Anyway you need to take a look at #29 Jenkins, he looks like he could retire. Nothing against the dude just saying, from all I know hes a really good dude with a rough childhood (lost his brother whne he was 15) and one hell of a player, same as Fluker I wish ole Fluke would stay for one more year, I never thought about others thinking he looked alot older, so it must be pretty intimidating for some 17 year old looking across to a 6-6 320lb monster that looks 30. I watched Fluker play in hs, he was a beast, it was funny watching these 200 lb DL trying to get around Fluke, he was/is a monster. We will miss him.

QUOTE=AggieMom;2094376]I had to look up who #11 was--not one of our big time receivers (25, 13, 7, 8, 84,etc). I guess #11 (Walker) looks a little older that the others ?? Will have to look at what Jenkins from Georgia looks like. We look forward to the game in September as well. Hope to give a game of it![/QUOTE]

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.